Roughest Stretch of Road!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
This maybe published in our magazine Expedite NOW.

What is the worst stretch of highway that you've travelled on?
Potholes? Ruts? Worn out? So bad that it makes you think you may
have crossed into a war zone? :eek:

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I75 in Michigan.. the first 10 miles above the Ohio line.. no matter which way I'm going, it's ridiculous.

Dale

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One I go out of my way to avoid is Eureka Road, near 75, in Detroit. The radio nearly comes out of the dash, the glass turntable has come out of the microwave & shattered on contact with the floor, [ever try to replace just the turntable? Sigh] and the GPS sitting on the dash in a beanbag starts jumping till I expect it to do backflips. I may give it an Olympic score if it happens, but I really won't be amused - the road is atrocious.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I don't remember it being so bad in the straight truck, but in a van, the stretch of I-75 in Cincinnati from the outer loop to the bridge. The grooves are so deep that a van (at least mine) slips back and forth all the way through there. It scared me the first couple times I went through there... now I just stay focused at a distance and let it slide.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Without a doubt the upper level of the Gw bridge and that 5 mile stretch of 95nb that someone thinks is a highway and to make matters worse paying for the privilege of ruining your alignment is just insulting

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I-75 coming or going from Ohio has got to be the one I dread most on a regular basis..So glad I havn"t been using it as often as I use to. Even after all the section repairs last year it doesnt seem it got any better..

Not so fond of I-75 in the Dayton Ohio area either..That area has been a mess for way to long now. Ya never know when you will get hung up going thru there.
Will it ever get finnished?

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We dread the whoop de doo overpass on I95 N right lane in Virginia. I think it is around MM30. Feels like the truck is going to fly off the road.

flattop40

Expert Expediter
There is about a 2 mile stretch on the north side of Lansing, Mi on I-69 that feels like a bucking bronco. Also several patches in Arkansas on I-55 and I-40.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Haynesville Woods in northern Maine. Long lonely stretches of ice, snow, and frost heaves that'll put you into orbit as it all thaws. A trucker's road, to be sure; been sung about, lamented, and cursed.

Never drove it in a big truck, but did in a variety of travel and utility vehicles in the 70's, along with a mess of other northwoods Maine roads up through Baxter, Millinocket, Greenville and such.

---
edit: went back and checked for the song about Haynesville Woods. Here's Dick Curless' version, the most classic in my opinion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aFzfDv2hz0

And here's a bit about Dick Curless and late night radio stations aimed at truckers driving hard, lonely roads. . .

http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/messages/dick_curless.htm

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
One I go out of my way to avoid is Eureka Road, near 75, in Detroit. The radio nearly comes out of the dash, the glass turntable has come out of the microwave & shattered on contact with the floor, [ever try to replace just the turntable? Sigh] and the GPS sitting on the dash in a beanbag starts jumping till I expect it to do backflips. I may give it an Olympic score if it happens, but I really won't be amused - the road is atrocious.

A common and practical yet cheap solution to youre problem about the microwave turntable would be go to Wal -Mart and buy a bubble wrap lined envelope, the bigger the better, and put youre micro plate in it. Fold the excess over and put it back in the micro when youre ready to drive. No more rattles, either.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anything downstate N.Y. and that P.O.S. I 90 at $.12 a mile avg.

Gee, makes me look foward to paying my NYS Highway Use Tax and IFTA so we have well maintained roads.

Bpb Wolf

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
A common and practical yet cheap solution to youre problem about the microwave turntable would be go to Wal -Mart and buy a bubble wrap lined envelope, the bigger the better, and put youre micro plate in it. Fold the excess over and put it back in the micro when youre ready to drive. No more rattles, either.

Thanks, Guido, preciate the tip. I have a whole roll of bubble wrap, [being a frequent mailer of various items], but that seems a lot of inconvenience for something I use every single day, when it's only happened once. And I sure aint gonna bubble wrap the Garmin, lol.
Easier to bypass Eureka Rd, methinks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It doesn't rattle - I keep a couple large bowls [like for popcorn & mixing] in the microwave, they weigh it down.
It just committed suicide on a rocky road, is all.
:(