//// Rough stats for our first 42 Days OTR (through 9-25-18) ///

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
HI All,

Since many here have read about our trials and tribulations in our first days OTR (in other posts not necessarily our threads) , I figured I would post our overall OTR results so far and see what you all think (This is through 9-25-18).

Truck : 26' non CDL, no sleeper, Lift gate

Days Run : 42
Days off (not driving) due to "issues" (accidents / OOS) / driver days requested off for breaks : 13 days (4 days of which were driver requested "weekends").
All miles run : 9788
Gross income : $19,500

Major issues along the way :

2 box roof damages resulting in need to replace 2 lease trucks , 1 OOS due to log book issues, 1 ticket for use of cell phone (non hands free while driving) , 1 ticket for 75 mph in a 55 mph (hopefully they can fight it if the truck is speed governed below 75 actual mph (driver said speedo showed 75 but my mini van reads 74 on speedo but GPS indicates 70)....

My guess is it seems we are doing OK IF the driver can get himself straight (lost 13 days (well 9 days really since he needed a break and 4 days were requested days off) that was really unnecessary and expensive).... he has since gotten a hands free device , learned a little more about paper log books , and hopefully will pay greater attention to heights and speeds.

He's even sporting new prescription glasses so he could get his DOT med card which took him 3 attempts to get but he finally got it!

I don't have a real feel for what is a good $$ per mile rate but it figures out to $1.99 / mile for all miles driven so far which is good until you take out expenses and fees but it may be decent for a straight truck.

Other than a better driver and maybe a sleeper in the truck to save hotels, anything else to change or do or think about .....we're hoping to start another driver next week (This guy is a CDL A driver with a clean driving record, med card, and know how to do logs ....He sounds boring.... no real issues ;-) )

Anyways, what do you all think ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help

PS - Other than the speeding, I'm happy to not have anything else "interesting" to report this go around.... sometimes routine and boring can be a good thing!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't have a real feel for what is a good $$ per mile rate but it figures out to $1.99 / mile for all miles driven so far which is good until you take out expenses and fees but it may be decent for a straight truck.

$1.99 all miles is a decent rate for a straight truck. You're one third the way to becoming decent. Now you need to hire decent drivers and buy decent equipment.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
$1.99 is a DECENT rate ?
Although I’ve heard rates are pretty good now, I doubt many dry trucks are doing $1.99 ALL MILES.
Am I wrong?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Two of my last loads were for Load 1.
At $2 all miles.
But I knew I had them by the short hairs.
Needed 10 loads covered on weekend in an out of the way place I happened to be in.
Then needed pickup by 4 . Similar place, and it was long after lunch.
It was nice.
I think both loads would have fit in a van.
One would have fit in a S10 pickup for sure.

Reactions: RoadTime

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator

$1.99 all miles is a decent rate for a straight truck. You're one third the way to becoming decent. Now you need to hire decent drivers and buy decent equipment.

True about the decent equipment....

I would look into buying but credit is not so healthy now and truthfully leasing is kinda nice.... no worries about the truck maintenance, repairs, abuse etc ....(just please no wrecks / accidents ! )

I've asked the major renters / leasing people of non cdl Box trucks (Penske, Enterprise, Budget.... I even tried ideal lease) if they rent a non CDL 26' box trucks with a lift gate and sleeper (can even be a simple extended cab (not OTR full sized sleepers) but have had no luck in finding one ..... Does anybody know where to lease such a truck ?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

True about the decent equipment....

I would look into buying but credit is not so healthy now and truthfully leasing is kinda nice.... no worries about the truck maintenance, repairs, abuse etc ....(just please no wrecks / accidents ! )

I've asked the major renters / leasing people of non cdl Box trucks (Penske, Enterprise, Budget.... I even tried ideal lease) if they rent a non CDL 26' box trucks with a lift gate and sleeper (can even be a simple extended cab (not OTR full sized sleepers) but have had no luck in finding one ..... Does anybody know where to lease such a truck ?

I doubt you will find a truck like that with a sleeper in their rental fleet, you will have to go with a longer term lease and then they will build a truck according to your specifications. The company I work for uses Isuzu nprs and we have one of those leases with Ryder, and they built the trucks for us with 18ft boxes and a tommy gate, the usual lift gates do not work well for us as we are a linen company and we have carts of linens that the Tommy gate is perfect for.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
we are a linen company .....
No shlt!... I was in the linen biz for nearly 20 years before i got into trucking (mostly aprons and towels, hence Ragman). Is it your own company or do you work for sombody?

Just curious.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No shlt!... I was in the linen biz for nearly 20 years before i got into trucking (mostly aprons and towels, hence Ragman). Is it your own company or do you work for sombody?

Just curious.

I work for someone else but the 2 guys I work for have built up this company from nothing.

We do plenty of aprons and bar towels and I bet that’s a smell you still remember!!!

Most of our business is napkins and tablecloths and when all of the snowbirds end up back in Florida for the winter business really takes off!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Ragman

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
IF you lease a truck for say a year, why not install espar & build a bunk with partition in the van body. As long as you can open the overhead door from the inside.

Andyinchville1

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
IF you lease a truck for say a year, why not install espar & build a bunk with partition in the van body. As long as you can open the overhead door from the inside.

HI,

Good suggestion ... I have been thinking about that but our dispatcher seems to think we always need to have 26' available in the box and he wasn't real big on us partitioning off even only 3 feet or so ....

I'm not sure how hard an espar is to install but I may try reading up on that....

I was ideally trying to find an extended cab truck to go along with the 26' box for the best of both worlds (currently I cannot get a regular big truck set up since none of our drivers willing to go OTR has a CDL.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm not sure how hard an espar is to install but I may try ......
2005.07.19%20Lawrence%20Truck%20Fire%20(1).jpg

Reactions: ntimevan