Heating / Cooling Rooftop A/C unit that will run off a 2000 watt generator

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I'm looking for a make and model of a rooftop A/C unit for a cargo van, that can be powered by a Honda 2000 watt generator. Everything I've seen online so far are 11K BTU's than need 2500 watts minimum. Anyone running what I'm looking for?

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Yes. Coleman Mach 9200 btu. Running it with a Yamaha 2000.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you get an AC unit that's hard to start, or won't start, you can add a "hard start capacitor" and it'll work. It takes all that stress off the compressor at startup.

gotto_03801

Seasoned Expediter
I'm looking for a make and model of a rooftop A/C unit for a cargo van, that can be powered by a Honda 2000 watt generator. Everything I've seen online so far are 11K BTU's than need 2500 watts minimum. Anyone running what I'm looking for?
if your using a Honda EU2000i it's not 2000 watts it's 1600 watts. but I think it's 2100 or 2200 watts surge start up for 10 seconds on start up and I al belive from what Honda told me its 16 amps also

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mines running right now, Coleman Mach 2 or 3 don't remember which. 12500 btu. Honda 2000, works fine. August in laredo I might need to pull the curtain at the rear of my bed so it's cooling a smaller space but that's still the width of the Sprinter and 8 ft long. Insulate well!

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wanted to add that I think my Coleman is called a power saver so I recommend you Google that. I ordered mine from adventurerv.net it was the best price I could find at the time.

Reactions: vandriver2

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Mines running right now, Coleman Mach 2 or 3 don't remember which. 12500 btu. Honda 2000, works fine. August in laredo I might need to pull the curtain at the rear of my bed so it's cooling a smaller space but that's still the width of the Sprinter and 8 ft long. Insulate well!
I don't know how you got a 12500 BTU to run on a Honda 2000. The draw needed to start the compressor is more than what the Honda 2000 can put out. Did you add a capacitor to handle the start up electrical load?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope it is made by Coleman to run off a 2000. It does not need the typical 30 amp plug.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Coleman started to put hard start capacitors in the mach 3 i think because of complaints of campers not getting it to run.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Dometic also sells a split system in a 7000, 10000 & 14000 btu rating. A little pricey, but very flexible mounting configurations, easy self install and easy to maintain/service.

I currently have a 14000 btu unit in a straight truck running off a Honda eu2000i until I get my regular generator repaired.

The Honda works just fine under the following conditions:

Set temp to lowest setting to prevent cycling of the compressor,
Set fan speed to no higher than 2 (on a 3 speed).
Program the volt tolerance to 127V if not already set for that.
Keep ECO run on the Honda in the OFF position.

I get 4.1 hours run time on the .95 gallon tank.

This is a temporary solution for me until the other Gen gets repaired. The Dometic does not have a hard start capacitor installed. I will add that latter and test run the unit without the previous mentioned conditions.

If the Gen repair gets ridiculous and the hard start capacitor doesn't resolve the limitations, I will get the eu3100is to replace the Powertech gen and cary the DOT legal limit of 8 gallons fuel for auxiliary equipment.

According to Dometic, the specs on the 14k unit pulls 14.5 cooling amps I assume this is at highest setting and for the 7 & 10k models, they pull 7.3 and 11.8 amps respectively. http://www2.dometic.com/19a42585-52fc-463f-bbb3-8eebcf39a3a2.fodoc

They also have a console unit designed to run off 2k inverter which should easily be within the limits of the little Honda. http://www2.dometic.com/enus/Americ...s-Expanded-Line-of-HVAC-Systems-For-Day-Cabs/

If I was to go to a van in the future, I would likely get the split system and install it myself and put a Max Air fan on the roof.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The specs sound like that' may not be on compressor startup or your 2000 would run it on the 14k setting..

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
The specs sound like that' may not be on compressor startup or your 2000 would run it on the 14k setting..
I agree, After the compressor cycles a few times, it will go into overload, that is why I set the temp. to the coldest.

The unit does not have a hard start capacitor. I am hopeful that when I install that then operation will be normal and run time will increase to over 5 hours.

It was a quick purchase as I was trying to find a Yamaha 2800 (slightly heavier) because it seems on or near par with the Honda reputation.

But regardless, it has done better than expected. I am a believer is gasoline powered generators now.

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just bought a brand new generator to run my 13.5k Dometic rooftop AC.

Brand name is Champion 2800 watt with 3100 Watts surge power.

I run it on the economy mode and it does an excellent job running my AC.

Price on it was $840.00 from amazon.com. It's very quiet and the reviews all gave it very high marks, I'm very satisfied with it.