Rolling Hills and Passing

whitechocolet

Seasoned Expediter
OK the thread about the highway entrance scenario got me thinking. Here’s the situation: I’m a 6 wheeler, got pretty good power with cruse control. I get on some of the roads that go on forever just rolling up and down. I set my cruse to limit or just below depending on the road conditions. I have no problem making the hills and stay pretty close to speed while rolling down. Inevitably a big truck will zoom past me going down only to slow down so much going up that I have to either pass ‘em or take off the cruse and slow down as much as them. Or better yet a big truck starts passing at the low spot, gets even or a little ahead of me only to fade back and be behind. I really don’t want to make anyone mad but I have a load to deliver too and if I slow down so they can pass going up it’s like I’m slowing down when I don’t have to and I’ll never get to where I’m going. Currently I just keep the cruse on and try to move away from them as soon as possible. I’ve had some trucks pass me 3, 4 or more times. I was just wondering how others handle this and if there is some road edict I have yet to learn. Thanks for any input that will help educate me.:)

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
My answer probably won't be the correct one but what I do is (if you have the power) just hammer on it a bit till they are at least a 1/2 mile or more behind you then you can go back to cruise for awhile until someone in front of you slows you down and they catch up again LOL.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Everything has away of working out. I have this happen often. I travel at 60 most times ( in town being an exception). I get passed a lot and flash them in. On rolling hills as you describe I don't change my speed to let them in generally. The other drivers know this happens. See saw until they are gone and they generally are. Exceptions to this are a traffic back-up in two lanes, another situation, emergency vehicles in or next to the hammer lane, common sense works.

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
[font color="purple" size=+3]Fed[font color=blue]Ex [/font][/font][font color=gray]Custom Critical [/font]
Joe and Robin

Robin and I drove across I-80 from Salt Lake City last week and I know exactly what you are talking about. We just make sure we leave plenty of following distance. We can somewhat control the vehicle ahead of us but have less control of the ones behind us. Kick back be safe and enjoy the ride.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm in a van so it's a little easier, but depending on traffic, I'll just sit out there in the hammer lane, cruise control set, and let the big trucks pass and fall behind me on the right as they see fit. I do that mainly to keep the big trucks from having to mess with changing lanes in order to see-saw.

chetjester

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As one of those trucks that causes you that problem, I apologize. But, sometimes the only way I can get up the next hill without slowing to 35 is to get as much speed as I can going down the previous one. I realize it may not seem safe and it disturbs you, but downshifting to 5th or 6th gear slows me down significantly.

We aren't being jerks. A fully loaded T/T can be 80,000 lbs. Try getting that up the hills on I-81 through VA or I-77 in WV.

Thanks for your understanding.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
First thing to do is to put your temper and or ego in your pocket. Stay as safe a distance as possible, from any vehicle, and let them when passing if you see any sign of possible danger to them and/or yourself.Slow down significantly if necessary, to allow them to get far enough ahead, or speed up as the other poster said, if it´s safe to do so. You have a load to deliver as you said,so what´s the differnce of 2 minutes one way or the other. BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY! If you get into an accident because your temper or ego got in the way, your load won´t get there, and you may not ever get another load. Use your head.

whitechocolet

Seasoned Expediter
No apologies necessary. I really don’t think any of you are jerks. I do understand why the big T/T are running that way. I just was wondering if there was someâ€road edict†I didn’t know about. It doesn’t disturb me really, I do understand and of course I would always yield if the situation warranted. Safety first always. Thanks for your input. :)

whitechocolet

Seasoned Expediter
Your are absolutely right, you have to leave temper and ego at home if you’re gona be on the road. Safe driving is always the top priority. Again just hopen’ to learn. Thanks for helpin’ :)

cliffn

Expert Expediter
Here is another thought... and that's all it is ..not saying it is right or wrong. Although our truck (a D unit) does have cruise control, I never use it even though I am really tempted to kick back, relax and turn on the cruise...

Here is the reason: Quite often I see a truck that has gone off the road sometimes with horrible results.. How did that happen? Did the driver fall asleep? Did he have a heart attack while the truck was in cruise control and it continued out through a field because it was still trying to go 65 mph??

No, I do not have a history of heart disease nor do I plan on passing out or falling asleep. But maybe, just maybe if something bad did happen to me I might at least get my foot off the accelerator or it might fall off the accelerator and the truck would at least slow down without having to think about turning off the cruise.

I guess I think about that even more because my wife is usually in the sleeper.

Just a thought... :) :) :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Now I prefer to use the cruise, to avoid 'foot-feed fatigue' - to each his own, right? If there are losts of ups & downs, I'll try to stay in the hammer lane rather than play leapfrog, but if I do need to move back to the granny lane, I make sure one of the big guys isn't zooming downhill over there first.

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I don't mean to be flip but the way I do it is I drive my truck and let the other guy drive his. If he wants to try and pass me and my cruise is on they can have at it but, if you can't make it pass me then that is not my problem. I use my cruise most of the time as it does improve fuel economy and also keeps away lead foot syndrome (usually solved by your local constabularies) I will speed up or slow to allow ramp traffic access if they are a truck 4-wheelers are usually on their own.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I agree with White, they are much heavier and the law of gravity has everything to do with it. With tht said, XM 171 just did a program on cruise control and issues associated with it.

One suggestion was "There is a place and time for the Cruise Control" The situation you explained according to the Radio Program is where it causes more harm than good. Also it explained into detail with drivers who had rear ended other vehicles by procrastinating hitting the brakes or turning the cruise off in time. How embarrassing would that be?

Great Listening and informatitive, one might be suprised as to how many 4 wheelers use cruise exclusivly on highways instead of the gas pedal. This would explaine the aggressive behavior they can display.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i have a question about the b units. why do so many of you guys hang in the hammer lane like own the dam thing? Just like a 4 wheeler. most people on this site love to attack 18 wheelers and i get tired of it. i'm sure i can't by with saying what i said about the b units so why are t/ts always getting blasted.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
If I am in the hammer lane it is because I am passing, Sometimes if not most of the time I am doing alot of passing. Lead, Follow or get out of the way !!!

Be safe and move over,
Fr8 Shaker

panther_art

Expert Expediter
I wonder that same think sometimes wnen i come up on a van with expediters signs on it and there are just moving along sometimes under the posted speed limit in the passing lane.
Are we not suppose to be pros? Then why not drive like one.
You know in some states its illegal to drive in the passing lane but everyone still does it.
Out on the open road I will not pass on the right, I do around the belt ways when its busy and the left lane has traffic in it.
When we are out on the road I ask my self can you really drive safe and legal and be safe.

Panther Art

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I'm ever in the hammer lane for an extended period, it's usually because the other lane is too bump and lumpy.