Rigmaster

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
We have a Rigmaster that wants to "run away"(not idle back) after it is started. The governor spring is fine. Has anyone else had a problem like this, and if so, what was the solution? Are there any good Perkins shops that have mechanics, rather than technicians, that you can recommend?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
I am not familiar with the rigmaster,we have an AUX.But ours only has two speeds,full speed and off.

Any of the APU's that I have heard running in the truckstops all seem to be running at their top governed speed,I can't say that I have ever heard one idleing before.

langren18

Expert Expediter
We have a rigmaster on our truck and it never idled down after starting. It always ran at one continuous speed. I think that is how they are supposed to run. The only time I heard a change is when the a/c compressor would kick on, but other than that it was the same. We have had some problems with ours like the alternator pivot bolt broke and ended up drilling out the hole and putting a bolt all the way through with a nut and washer. It seems to loose prime in the fuel system once in a while and don't know why. (I've become an expert on priming the fuel system). I had one instance where the fuel shut off lever had popped out of the petcock, I took it out and noticed it had bent in the channel where the set screw rides. So I took a hammer and very carefully tapped it straight and viola!, it has not failed again. Still don't know why it happened but all I can come up with is that for some reason it may have built up to much pressure in the fuel system?. If you have speedco service it make sure they prime the fuel system after the fuel filter is replaced. What we do is pull it outside and run it for at least 5 mins. before we leave, usually while I'm inside taking care of the bill, that way you know it is primed properly. Hope this helps you out.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Generators and gensets once started do not fall back to an idle. Why? In order to generate the AC at a frequency of 60 hertz (cycles per second) the engine and alternator need to spin at a constant RPM. The genset engine operates at a set governed RPM to spin the output shaft of its driven alternator at the proper RPM to maintain the 60 Hz frequency- it is exactly what the steam generators have to do at the local power plant. -Mudflap-

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
After checking numerous places, no one really has a great explanation as to why they will on occassion lose their prime. Plenty of answers if it is continous, but nothing yet on a intermittent issue.
Still investigating.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator