Retired Military (soon to be)

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Looking over the drivers wanted ads on the site, I am wandering how or who will hire a fellow who is getting started in the business? That is to say, how does one get experience? I have read several post saying don't buy a van right off but start as a driver first, but most of the ads are looking for experience.

Thanks in advance :)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually I don't buy into the canned response to go with an owner first.

I find that vans are cheap and easy to find, so why not buy one and start that way. The amount you will lose is small if any and you will have a vehicle that can be used for other purposes.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
Check out Premium transportation. You don't have to live in Ohio. Great company to work for, NO Qual-Com or the attached fees for it. All dispatch is done by telephone, so you have to have a cell phone. Works great. And with a cargo van, you don't have to have a CDL.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Update on my last post. These days I don't think it matters much where you live with most carriers. A few might have more of a customer base in certain areas, but there's freight in most parts of the country and most carriers have access to it. Living in certain states might make it easier for you to get more home time than if you lived in areas like Idaho, but other than that I don't think it matters much.

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
I am from PA originally and was looking to retire there as well. I'm from the Bedford county area but also have family in Chambersburg.

As a vet I'll have my own health insurance which will come in handy by not having to pay for that plus my pension, will be nice.

My wife is a nurse and her thoughts are "since I served my country for 20 years I should do what I want after." I am hoping my expediter business will at lest pay it's own bills and maybe make a little would be great. :cool:

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Black ice, gotta love it flipped end over end with a roll for good measure, with a lot of help from God I walked away a lil sore but none the less, walking.

aefc4289-c1c5-8869.jpg

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Gregs right and its only sheet metal... Im willing to bet ya will feel it more in the morning tho, aches and pains are sure to set in... Glad you made it out of it..
Now ya can get something newer...Like a cargo van or sprinter ya allways been wanting..

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you, yes I am blessed, God is good, and the aches and pains are all here. Might have a hard time selling a CV/Sprint to the wife, that one was the family vehicle... It's a total loss too...

Thanks again!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App