Retired Military (soon to be)

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Hello All,

As I read threw the threads on this site, it seems expedite work with a cargo van can be a challenge, and rewarding at the same time. I am looking towards this as a job after I retire from the Navy. I've traveled the world, now it's time to travel my country. :eek:

I enjoy all the ideas and advice here and I have come to the realization that this job is or can be like any other. There are ups and downs, things to learn and mistakes hopefully not to be duplicated.

I am a GM man by birth, :D and I am leaning towards a 3500 extended cargo, I am a maintainer by trade in the Navy, and feel that with proper preventive maintenance I can make one go many miles.

I realize there is no real question here I just wanted to make my introduction and say hey to any other vets there may be in this line of work.

Thanks for your time.

Tractorman70

TonyG

Seasoned Expediter
Hello All,

As I read threw the threads on this site, it seems expedite work with a cargo van can be a challenge, and rewarding at the same time. I am looking towards this as a job after I retire from the Navy. I've traveled the world, now it's time to travel my country. :eek:

I enjoy all the ideas and advice here and I have come to the realization that this job is or can be like any other. There are ups and downs, things to learn and mistakes hopefully not to be duplicated.

I am a GM man by birth, :D and I am leaning towards a 3500 extended cargo, I am a maintainer by trade in the Navy, and feel that with proper preventive maintenance I can make one go many miles.

I realize there is no real question here I just wanted to make my introduction and say hey to any other vets there may be in this line of work.

Thanks for your time.

Tractorman70

Welcome. I am an Army Vet. one of those fools that jumped out of a perfectly good airplane, 82nd Airborne Ft Bragg, NC.

Wish you good luck when and if you come out here to join us.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hello All,

Thanks for your time.

Tractorman70

Welcome to EO, The most zanny forum around. :eek:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Congrats on what sounds like a upcoming retirement,,Well done.
If ya do jump on this ship,,don't let the word Expedite scary ya as most of that has been taken out of the picture now and can be treated as just freight for the most part (contrary to what some may think).Take your time,,no big hurry,,just get it there and do it right to the best of your ability.
With a military paycheck (pension) behind ya, I bet ya can do good out here and still have some fun at it if ya don't let it become a job.
Again Congratulations on your time in service.

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Brisco,

I am an aviation structural mechanic, we maintain the the air crafts skin, flight control surfaces, hydraulic system, landing gear, and wheels. So I know a bit about preventive maintenance in a very harsh environment. Controlled crashes on the flight deck of a carrier takes it's toll. Thanks for the question, and thanks for the warm welcome, I am also prior service Army, but I was one of the smart ones who stayed on the ground (63S) ;)

Thanks again, I look forward to posting with you all.

Tractorman70

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Brisco,

I am an aviation structural mechanic, we maintain the the air crafts skin, flight control surfaces, hydraulic system, landing gear, and wheels. So I know a bit about preventive maintenance in a very harsh environment. Controlled crashes on the flight deck of a carrier takes it's toll. Thanks for the question, and thanks for the warm welcome, I am also prior service Army, but I was one of the smart ones who stayed on the ground (63S) ;) Tractorman70

With that back ground sounds like ya should be following the crop dusters and not the freight:D

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Slo-Ride,

Well my roots are on the road, my Dad is a 37 year vet of hauling coal and steel, O/O. He retired in 1998, but as a boy I spent many a weekend helping with the maintenance of his KW. And occasionally would go along with him. I fell in love with the lifestyle.

But life has a way of taking you down a different path, which is the case with me. But once I am retired I'd like to get back to that life and see if it still appeals to me. Your correct though, I feel my retirement will afford me a little more advantage than someone solely depending on the van for my income.

Have a good day!

Tractorman

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Brisco, I am a Veteran. I merely asked what he maintained.:rolleyes:

OOppss.....My Bad. But, if you look at exactly what you said, the wording wasn't exactly understandable as to what you were asking.

I'm a "Maintainer". Might call it a slight case of OCD. I'm very anal when it comes to "Maintaining" just about everything in my life that's mechanical. Oil Changes on my truck(personal truck) at exactly 4,000 miles. Air Filter changed every 3rd oil change. Computer updated every single morning when I first turn it on. (Windows-Trend Micro-etc) Air Filter changed on my house AC/Heat unit on the 15th of every month. (1st of year I go through calender and mark "Change Filter" on the 15th of every month) ETC!!

So, I knew what he meant by Maintainer in his OP. If feathers were ruffled........Sorry!!!

Brisco

Expert Expediter
With that back ground sounds like ya should be following the crop dusters and not the freight:D

I couldn't agree more!!

A lot better $$$$$ and lifestyle in the Aviation Industry in the civilian world. Look at what you can find comparable in the Aviation Industry that relates to your Military experience and training. You might find that the pay structure could easily be tripled, maybe quadrupled, in the civilian world compared to your Military Pay.

Back in my "Apartment" days, there was a young guy that just got out of the Air Force that moved in next door to me. He was in his late 20's, spent 6 years in the AF as some sort of Jet Mechanic. When he got out, American Airlines hired him immediately to work as a mechanic out at their Facility at Alliance Airport. The guy was making something like $80K a year and hadn't even hit his 30's yet.

Just a hint, that's all.;)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That was then this is now from what I was told. A lot of things moved off shore and other things are contracted out, making it hard to break into the business.

If you have your air frame and sheet metal experience, then I think you should stick with it but on the other hand with your pension, maybe some R&R in a van would be welcomed.

IF I was in your shoes I would continue to work in the field, even learning a few new skills, composites, fabric repair and maybe sheet metal forming for other things (Antique and classic cars).

Maybe volunteering at a war bird museum?

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
From one navy vet to another, welcome aboard. I was a first class Boatswains Mate. If your going to be an expediter, I guess I can forgive you for being an Airedale.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Slo-Ride,

Well my roots are on the road, my Dad is a 37 year vet of hauling coal and steel, O/O. He retired in 1998, but as a boy I spent many a weekend helping with the maintenance of his KW. And occasionally would go along with him. I fell in love with the lifestyle.

But life has a way of taking you down a different path, which is the case with me. But once I am retired I'd like to get back to that life and see if it still appeals to me. Your correct though, I feel my retirement will afford me a little more advantage than someone solely depending on the van for my income.

Have a good day!
Tractorman

If ya do go from that fleet to this fleet keep in mind its a new millennium and everything has changed from when ya helped your Dad with his truck as far as in house maintenance goes. Just look at your new cars and changing a battery can be no simple task anymore,but with your background as a wrench I'm sure ya know that. 500 miles from the house and broke down can be no fun for anyone.

I have a lot of family in aviation in the private sector and like Greg said everything is changing in that industry right now.With the mergers going on and out sourcing airlines are cutting manpower left and right.My brother-in was one of the head mucky mucks in maintenance in Detroit (Romulus) with Northwest airlines and a week ago Monday he was told Delta will now handle the shop work. So far the closes job is in Atlanta GA. for him.
With that said,and what you have said I think ya can do well by trying this out. Sounds like ya have a lil bit of time to work it out..Best of Luck when ya get to it.

P.S. If avaition ever whats back in your blood I can set ya up with a nice Steerman and 1 extra motor for restortion work in your spare time..Its airworthy:D
Only thing it needs is a guy like you from the trades and maybe its annual inspection.

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
I'm a composite technician in the Navy, I truly enjoy the work, but the higher I go in rank the farther from the hands on I become. Kinda takes the fun outta things for me. :(

But I enjoy driving, and seeing new places so this line of work kinda appealed to me, I realize as with anything in life there will be lessons to learn, and new friends to make. :)

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Welcome.
I am retired from the Navy as well,23 years active,26 years retired. Did alot of different jobs in the Navy and found that being the Fire Marshal on an aircraft carrier was a great job!

My motto was "Navy retirement isn't a great deal of money but it affords you the ability to do what you love". Actually expedited freight has alot in common with an old Navy saying TC (till complete). As a retired engineer that has helped quite a bit because in expediting it's get it there safe,complete and on time.
I am sure that while you were on a job you had to work till it was complete.

Welcome Aboard!

Big Al

Branson Missouri

:):D

tractorman70

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Big Al, and yes I have had more that a few 24 to 36 hour days getting the job done so the fighters can go off the pointy end. I enjoy a little urgency when I'm working keeps me on point.

I have a question and I hope it doesn't stir up a hornets nest, who is a good company to sign on with? I bet this has been asked a lot but I like to do my home work before starting anything, kinda comes form my back ground we research, then research some more before we tear into a horizontal stabilizer that will cost 1.5 million to replace if I don't fix it right.