Report claims FMCSA overstated benefits of proposed HOS rule

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Full story here

Excerpt:

"...FMCSA used questionable logic, inadequate data and sloppy math in attempting to justify its proposed changes to the hours-of-service rules for commercial drivers.

“...We find that, in every instance, FMCSA’s new methodologies and assumptions increase the apparent net benefits of the proposed rule. However, many of FMCSA’s new approaches rely on misapplication of available data, use outdated information, or lack empirical support entirely.”

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
Why am I unsurprised by this "revelation"?

I particularly love the bit about 2 midnight to 6am periods off on the reset. Whoo dang. Some of us just happen to have a circadian rhythm strongest midnight to 6 and weakest at 9am to 3pm.

Hence me spending so much of my life working 3rds.

Wonder how the industry will respond when this goes thru.

Thanks!
Christopher

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
Why am I unsurprised by this "revelation"?

I particularly love the bit about 2 midnight to 6am periods off on the reset. Whoo dang. Some of us just happen to have a circadian rhythm strongest midnight to 6 and weakest at 9am to 3pm.

Hence me spending so much of my life working 3rds.

Wonder how the industry will respond when this goes thru.

Thanks!
Christopher

The new reset rules has to be the stupidest thing I ever heard!

Yeah lets reset when there is NO traffic on the roads and the best time to drive!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Full story here

Excerpt:

"...FMCSA used questionable logic, inadequate data and sloppy math in attempting to justify its proposed changes to the hours-of-service rules for commercial drivers.

“...We find that, in every instance, FMCSA’s new methodologies and assumptions increase the apparent net benefits of the proposed rule. However, many of FMCSA’s new approaches rely on misapplication of available data, use outdated information, or lack empirical support entirely.”

WOW you can say those exact things about the Sleep Apnea regulations that the FMCSA want to push, the basis for everything they have in place now is based on the same thing ...misapplication of available data, use outdated information, or lack empirical support entirely .. and their own reports say it right in the summaries.

Some of assumptions being said about EOBRs and other things are just as stupid.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
These 2 Bullets down at the bottom really stick out if this Edgeworth study can be verified word for word:

• FMCSA made unreasonable assumptions about the safety of the trucking industry by sampling only carriers it subjected to a compliance review, generally for not following federal safety rules; and

• In formulating its proposal, FMCSA used crash data collected before the current rules went into effect, completely ignoring their positive safety impact on the industry.

In other words, or a simple common sense analysis, it looks like FMSCA is presenting the track record of possibly the worst of the worst trucking companies along with collected "crash" data from years back (2003-later) to make changes on a set of rules that has helped various carriers come into compliance more and have actually made our roads safer in recent history.

If a couple of well known Senators and Congressmen would verify this Edgeworth Study and take their findings public, (I hear nothing about this on the evening news whatsoever) Lahood may actually have to rethink his stance changing a set of rules and regs that has benefitted the overall safety conditions when it comes to traveling on our interstates and highways.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hate to get political, but who heads up this adminastration?? Oh yea the guy that want to regulate the coal and coal generated electric industry out of business..the guy that want to drop Cap and Tax on business to increase their cost of doing busines through regulation so they will be dependent on the gov for operating cost and control...the guy that wants to contral all aspect of business to "share the corp wealth.."

This is just one more way to take complete control of another industry...

Hows that "hope and change" workin for all you that voted for him!?!? How much more of a"chance" do we "need to give him!?!" And for how much longer???:rolleyes: Yeap he is all about helping the "little guy".."he is what we need.."he will make this a better countryfor those in need"...yea at the expense of the working man......:rolleyes:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Chef, it is a popular thing to drag the administration into this but the problem has been since Reagan, the agencies have charted their own course and made their own regulations irregardless who is in the WH. It isn't just one or two administration but all of them.

I think if we actually tell the congress that they need to start approving the regulations that are created, we will return to some sanity with the FMCSA and other agencies who are out of control.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Yeap this crap goes back before barry...but he is the one in the WH now and he has gone beyond all other admins with his use of the "agencies" to enact "policies" that he can't get through Congress...and this is just more of that...

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The FMCSA used "policy" not science to determine thresholds.... just wrong.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
bigest problem is the drivers wont stick together ,make the phone calls and tell powers to be they are all wet.I dont believe in shut downs,but this is the bigest reason I would shut my truck down.THe farmers circled the White House,Trucks cant do that ,but they could all take there 34 hour RESETS at the same time on the ramps going to the major cities,THe traffic congestion would open peoples eyes