Report 5-hour energy drinks linked to several deaths

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
The problem lies when folks dont use them as they are meant to be used, Drinking two or three in a row is not recommended as some college kids, taxi drivers, truckers etc might be doing, looking for a kick or more then a kick....combining them with coffee isnt a good idea either....Ive used 5 hour energy drinks, I might use one a week or two if Im pulling some all nighters back to back, never had an issue, although I drink HALF of one and then two hours later drink the other half, not exactly a RUSH of energy as just a wide awake feeling.....I gave up the need for speed many years ago and since I dont drink, smoke or drink coffee its about the only thing I use for Energy...

I do take supplements and vitamins, but again I cant say Im a POWER USER...

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
Hey JT, next time you have those symptoms of chest pain radiating into your arm and up your neck to your jaw/face stop at a hospital and get checked. Then let us know what the results are......Sorry dude, you had or were VERY close to having a massive heart attack. I had the same symptoms one time after picking up a load near Detroit. Headed down I-75 and stopped at an exit and called 911......Dr in the emergency room said I wasn't having an actual heart attack but was VERY close to having a massive one. The ER sent me to another hospital where within an hour they were giving me 3 cardiac stents.....Your living on borrowed time my friend. Go to a 'good' cardiologist and have an EKG and other tests, even a stress test..........been there/done that, am a survivor of 2 bypass surgery's.........and I have never or never will even get close to any energy drinks...........I cannot drive commercial vehicles anymore because of my disease but I'm alive......

jt1980a

Active Expediter
Thanks for the advice. I did go to the ER 2 weeks later. I already scheduled a stress test (doctors very persistant request). See what happens there. Im not really gonna get all worked up about it until after the results. I can tell you all one thing and I dont care who believes me and who thinks Ive lost my marbels but... I always try to feel out the market and get hands on experience before embarking into something larger (more than 1 truck in this case). I bought a 48 Flatbed trailer and tractor and leased on with a small company who had a bunch of O/O pulling for them with Nice looking long hood rides that belonged on the cover of Large Car Mag (more than a few were in that mag over the last three years). Figured If they can afford the rides then the pay is good, right? Well Ill tell you right now the pay was good, **** GOOD! Heck, I paid off that piece of equipment @ $70K and paid all my personal bills and living expense for me and my family (Repairs, maintenance, House payment, 3 vehicle payments, Ins. on everything, etc, etc, etc. + my wife stays at home with the kids) and after all that I was still able to put $60K in the bank after only 10 months. For those of you that think I was gone for 10 months let me stop you right there. I was home every weekend. Once in a while I would get ambitious and leave on Sunday evening so I could get a little sleep that week but usually left Monday 2am. and home by Friday 8pm at the latest. Like I said some of you guys will believe me but most of you will laugh and roll your eyes. Honestly, I dont really care. But I am writing this to address the last few posts. You dont have to kill yourself to make a living. But, If you want to make a killing you gonna have to run 18 hours a day. I never fell asleep driving but came darn close. There were so many times I pulled off on the shoulder of the road or a ramp with four way flashers on, and got an hour of sleep just to wake up enough to make it to my stop for the morning. My dispatcher never required me or any other O/O to run that hard but the money was up for grabs if you wanted the $4+ mile loads that had to go 1200 miles in 18 hours or 1600 miles in 36 hours. It got the point where it didnt even matter if I was home for the weekend or not because when I got home I slept until I had to get up and go back to the truck. Then it was balls out with about 10 hours sleep over the next five days. I started my log book and thats where it stayed until the end of the week. I never got checked at a scale and if I heard they were looking I just blew past and no one ever came after me (only did it about 10 times). Red bull and coffee didnt do a thing just made the crash harder. After 10 months I am all washed up with that 24 hour service stuff. Now if I was running legal you could take that income and slash 70% of it right off the bat!!!!!! Im not saying that you should run legal or illegal but just putting in my opinion. I done it and to be honest after 10 months I can honestly tell you that even as good as the $$$ motivated me I cant hack it and I can tell you now I will not do it again. Fortunately I have a fleet of straight trucks that I could fall back on (this was just a trial test more or less). Most of you out here in the straight truck world know as well as I (more so the local guys/gals) that putting an 18 hour day in here and there isnt that bad. As for me I do "alot" of local work, mostly ranging from 15 - 100 mile radious so my drivers or myself are outside moving around loading, unloading, etc just as much as driving and it keeps us awake. Unfortunately, I have been seeing an alarming number of red bull, moster, amp, etc. energy drink cans in the dumpster at my shop and Im not really sure what to do about. If anyone has any ideas of how I can get my drivers to stop drinking this junk without crossing any lines then please, let me know what you think.

jt1980a

Active Expediter
omg, it doesnt look that long in this little box that only shows 3 lines at a time. Sorry for that long post.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't apologize - long is fine when it's interesting, and that was interesting. [Particularly for those who have never been in that driver's seat.]
If you're concerned about your drivers, you have every right to let them know - I don't see it as crossing any lines, if you don't try to enforce your opinions on them. But letting them know why you're concerned? That's a good thing, IMO.