Redneck APU

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I like the idea, I am thinking along those same lines to replace the ProHeat "boat anchor" I have. Layoutshooter

are12

Expert Expediter
That is funny, Jim was just telling me on Tuesday - when we were sitting in Waco, Tx - about a guy he met that asked him if he wanted to see his Redneck APU. Jim told me how this guy had an air conditioner sticking out his window and was running it on a gas powered generator.

Jim told the guy that, maybe we should consider doing the same, it would probably cool our truck better than our Pro Heat.

I will have to get Jim to watch the video to see if it was the same driver.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Almost anything would cool better than my ProHeat, it no longer cools at all. AGAIN!! Layoutshooter

guido4475

Not a Member
That is what I have done.I went to Pep-Boys auto parts store and got a Wenpower 3k watt gen for $300.00 and I can usually get 14,000 hours out of one.I have a 12 gallon gas tank on the side for gas, and it will run for over 3 days on that before I go to the rv island to gas-up.Oil changes take less than 10 minutes to do, no filter,and a 2 pints of oil. I run delvac and lucas in it and it runs fine.The Wen power is a honda clone engine, and parts are cheap, the manufacturer is in chicago.I set the whole thing up for under a grand.(Tool box for it to sit in, battery charger/maintainer,a/c unit, small space heater,micro,fridge.) even if I replace the generator once a year at the cost of 300.00, I still come out ahead.It may not be as fancy as a proheat, but it works.And it was cheap to do.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
MMMM, I wonder if there is a way to take off most of the "guts" from my APU and use that engine to turn just a generator? Then I would have the low battery auto-start and inside starter buttons. It is already wired in the the fuel lines plumbed. Watch out!! I am thinking again!! Smell the smoke? LOL! Layoutshooter

are12

Expert Expediter
MMMM, I wonder if there is a way to take off most of the "guts" from my APU and use that engine to turn just a generator? Then I would have the low battery auto-start and inside starter buttons. It is already wired in the the fuel lines plumbed. Watch out!! I am thinking again!! Smell the smoke? LOL! Layoutshooter

I smell the smoke!:D

If you come up with something, please share it with the rest of us poor saps that own a ProHeat!:(