Recommendations

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Can someone\anyone recommend a Thread, web site or book. That someone foolish enough to consider being solo in a Straight truck could learn the basics of maintence for said truck.:rolleyes:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can someone\anyone recommend a Thread, web site or book. That someone foolish enough to consider being solo in a Straight truck could learn the basics of maintence for said truck.:rolleyes:

Being solo in a straight truck is foolish? Why is that? I'm doing fairly well at it.

A good place to start for maintainance would be the trucks owners manual.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would venture to say, with out going through them. That 50% of posts on Straight trucks will say there is no money as a Solo. Although 80% of the posters may not be in a Straight truck.:p

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I would venture to say, with out going through them. That 50% of posts on Straight trucks will say there is no money as a Solo. Although 80% of the posters may not be in a Straight truck.:p

Could be one of the most true statements ever made on EO right there! :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I'm beyond foolish enough to consider it, I've been doing it for 6 years [and haven't had to hock the jewels, yet].
An excellent reference for maintenance is the articles written for EO by Bob Caffee [find them on the Home page]. He explains clearly enough that even a fool can follow it. :)

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
"even a fool can follow it" in that case I'm sure with some practice I'll figure it out. ;) Think he explains "Slack Adjusters"

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I haven't driven a Straight or 10 wheel Dump on a regular basis in over 30 years. I'm not sure I could adjust slack adjusters any more. How much have they changed?.

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I haven't driven a Straight or 10 wheel Dump on a regular basis in over 30 years. I'm not sure I could adjust slack adjusters any more. How much have they changed?.

They haven't changed that much. Some trucks are equipped with automatic slack adjusters. You still adjust the manual ones based on the measurement of the brake chamber pushrod.

Stating the obvious, chock the wheels of the truck and release the brakes. Get a piece of chalk or some means of marking the chamber pushrod. Using the chalk, mark the pushrod at the point where it enters the chamber.

Pry back on the slack adjuster and move it back as far as it will go. Measure the distance between the chamber and the chalk mark. If the measurement is at or less than 3/4 of an inch, it does not require adjustment. Anything over 3/4 of an inch means the slack adjuster should be adjusted.

To adjust a manual slack, locate the adjustment bolt, There is a sleeve around the bolt that needs to be pushed inward to access the bolt. By using a box end wrench, the sleeve can be pushed down. I generally used a socket. I think it was a 10MM but it might be a 12MM.

Turn the bolt and watch the pushrod. If the pushrod is pulling out of the chamber, that is the wrong direction. Turn the bolt the other direction.

Turn the bolt until you feel resistance. This is the brake lining contacting the drum. Turn the bolt 1/4 to 1/2 a turn in the opposite direction to create space between the pad and drum. When you remove the wrench/socket make sure the sleeve pops back out completely. The bolt isn't locked until the sleeve almost completely covers it. Do this for each brake assembly.

Start the vehicle. Make sure you have full air pressure. Then apply the brakes. There should be no more than two inches of travel measured at the pushrod. Finally, check the angle of the pushrod in relation to the slack with the brakes applied. If the angle is not 90 degrees, then there is a problem in the slack itself, the "S" cam is worn, or the chamber spring is broken.

The auto slacks are self adjusting to a point. Some will adjust when your are backing up and apply the brakes. They still need to be manually adjusted occasionally due to brake chamber wear. The spring and diaphragm can weaken. They do have a manual adjuster, but I would suggest any adjustments be done by a shop since there are different applications.

Hope this helps or jogs your memory.:D

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

I'm beyond foolish enough to consider it, I've been doing it for 6 years [and haven't had to hock the jewels, yet].
An excellent reference for maintenance is the articles written for EO by Bob Caffee [find them on the Home page]. He explains clearly enough that even a fool can follow it. :)

I ain't hocking my jewels either, yesiree Bob, not gonna.lol:D

idtrans

Expert Expediter

I do $13k+ a month before expenses in a straight I don't call that foolish.

Just do your logs good and focus on short runs you can knock out fast a couple in a day and your fine.

Now you can also do like I do sometimes I try to grab the 2000 mile runs starting on monday and then by the following monday I have 4000 miles total ran and thats not hard or illegal as a solo.

But all depends on how your company will book the loads or run your truck as a solo.

Best of luck

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I'm a solo st and an doing very well!

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Hows the ford running for you ? that older cat engine sounded good when I saw your truck it is a good series that engine should go 1 mil plus with out issues at all.

They have you running back and forth to canada allot still ?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

The 50% that told you on EO that running solo in a straight is foolish were most likely running team and have always done so. Also, they may have been told that by their recruiter as well. You've obviously just heard a different view from a number of prominent EO members to the contrary.

I always ran solo when I was running a straight truck. I also ran a LOT of loads that could not be completed in one HOS duty, yet had time for a solo to run it. Some, but certainly not all of that was liftgate, pallet jack, or blanket wrap needed.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Hows the ford running for you ? that older cat engine sounded good when I saw your truck it is a good series that engine should go 1 mil plus with out issues at all.

They have you running back and forth to canada allot still ?

Oh yea, crossing 3 to 4 times a week, and the old truck is still running great..

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

idtrans

Expert Expediter
Bill, you will do just fine.

For the 2nd time I agree with Jefferson. You will do well Bill . The main trick is knowing how to do your logs good and avoiding the bubble on a roof the bubble will get you in trouble if not careful. And Tenn I am glad the truck is doing good for you bro. Your a good guy and I am glad they are treating you well.