Reciently unemployed, have references, wanting a change

double6

Active Expediter
I spent the last 3 years driving for of all places a blood bank in Chicagoland (please no vampire jokes) :). Logged over 130K miles no accidents in three years in the hardest and meanest and tightest Chicago traffic. I was driving just regular van, however perfect performance. Paperwork, driving etc... I resigned to move back closer to my parents, long story. I don't possess a CDL, just a regular passenger drivers license. I have no problem driving anywhere coast to coast. Basically I am single, and my main objective is just making a living and coming out ahead a bit. When work is concerned, I am pure business. My MVR unmarked. Not even a speeding ticket in 13 years. I am 40.

My question is, I would like to get into sprinter, or cargo van expediting. I know gas prices are on the rise, can I make a living and come out ahead? What company should I look for. I am just a driver, I don't have any means to be an owner. Do some expediting jobs have health insurance and or 401k? Thanks in advance! I would not have a problem getting a CDL, however I don't want to drive a large rig.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I spent the last 3 years driving for of all places a blood bank in Chicagoland (please no vampire jokes) :). Logged over 130K miles no accidents in three years in the hardest and meanest and tightest Chicago traffic. I was driving just regular van, however perfect performance. Paperwork, driving etc... I resigned to move back closer to my parents, long story. I don't possess a CDL, just a regular passenger drivers license. I have no problem driving anywhere coast to coast. Basically I am single, and my main objective is just making a living and coming out ahead a bit. When work is concerned, I am pure business. My MVR unmarked. Not even a speeding ticket in 13 years. I am 40.

My question is, I would like to get into sprinter, or cargo van expediting. I know gas prices are on the rise, can I make a living and come out ahead? What company should I look for. I am just a driver, I don't have any means to be an owner. Do some expediting jobs have health insurance and or 401k? Thanks in advance! I would not have a problem getting a CDL, however I don't want to drive a large rig.

Welcome to our forums and very sorry to hear about you work problems.

The first thing you must consider is that, for the most part, expediting is not a job. You would be in business for yourself. It is not a good idea to come into this business short on cash. By that I mean a minimum of 6 months total expense money in the bank PLUS start up money. A year worth of expenses, even better.

I don't want to throw a wet towel on you, I just think you should know this up front.

Go back over as many past posts as you can stand. Concentrate on those about cargo vans and sprinters to get an idea about what can be earned and how hard one must work to earn it. I can't help with the van/sprinter facts, the wife and I drive a straight truck.

I am sure other will chime in soon. I am also NOT saying that coming in with little won't work, it just makes it very hard. All it would take is one bad week to put you out of business.

Feel free to ask all the questions you want. As you read more you can refine your questions to more specific topics.

This is a good life and you can do well, IF and only IF, you plan well before you start.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Thanks sir, I will give it some thought..and just poke around.

Poke around in here as much as you want. Wait on others ideas as well. We all have different experiences. I will list some of the things that can go wrong out here. There are ALL TRUE!

Get hit by a hurricane and be out of work for 3 months.

Get hit by a hail storm and lose 2 weeks.

Get hurt and lose a week.

Get sick and lose a week.

There have been those who have made it without a good stake, many more have not. I wish you luck.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you wanting to drive someone else's van or buy one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I am just a driver, I don't have any means to be an owner. Do some expediting jobs have health insurance and or 401k?
Clearly, you are looking for a job. Like Layout said, expediting is not a job, it's a small business, with you being the owner of that business. You are your own employer, whether you drive your own or someone else's. Any benefits such as health insurance or 401k are benefits provided by your employer, namely, you.

Driving a van for someone else means splitting the revenue with the van owner. Usually it's a 60/40 split with whoever gets the 60 paying for fuel and tolls. Realistically, that means most weeks you will take home after expenses between $300 and $500. Some weeks will be much better, some weeks will be much worse. Can you make a living doing this?

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I heard he was a stable boy for the mounties until age 25 ,,eh

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
And don't forget that there are expenses involved with living on the road. Food, motel, laundry, entertainment. All that comes out of your "take home" pay.

Last edited:

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
If you quit one job to be closer to home, the expediting industry is going to try real hard to keep you away from home too.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
To be perfectly honest and sounding cold....I don't want any new entries into the CV/Sprinter market at this time.....
There is an over capacity right now, has been for years, rates are in the tank and too many are already struggling to make it.....Your time and your nest egg would be better served in another endeavor.