Rear suspension

Tyler1790

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 98 FL70 with a 24ft box... The box rides very rough. The smallest bump in the road feels like I ran over a speed bump at 20 mph. Alot of my loads are shifting and falling over. What should I check first to stop from bouncing around so much? It has air ride suspension. The cab rides pretty good. It has a 70" sleeper on it, if that matters. Should I replace, shocks 1st or leaf springs, air chambers??? Thanks for any help!!

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a 98 FL70 with a 24ft box... The box rides very rough. The smallest bump in the road feels like I ran over a speed bump at 20 mph. Alot of my loads are shifting and falling over. What should I check first to stop from bouncing around so much? It has air ride suspension. The cab rides pretty good. It has a 70" sleeper on it, if that matters. Should I replace, shocks 1st or leaf springs, air chambers??? Thanks for any help!!

Instead of wasting my time playing a guessing game with replacing expensive parts when it wasn't necessary,I'd simply take it to Certified Alignment & Suspension on Dix rd in Detroit, Mi and let them look at it.They have been in the business a long time and have an excellent reputation.

sweetbillebob

Seasoned Expediter
Your rear suspension has a leveling valve. There is about 3/4" adjustment allowed. First go on line and dig up a maintenance and/or driver manual for your truck. Then check the allowable range. Usually measured between the U bolts for the drive axle on the driver side to the bumper on the frame. I cut up a piece of wood trim, 2 pcs, one the minimum and one the maximum. See if you are in range. I am guessing you could lower yours some which would relieve some pressure. The adjustment is on the leveling valve itself. Loosen up two nuts and rotate the valve. There should be pictures in the manual that will help you out. T/A can check/adjust for their 1/2 minimum charge. It only takes a few minutes once you are familiar.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually it sounds like his suspense is collapsed.

IF there is less than a half inch between the bumper and the axle mount, which is right behind the tire, then the problem is either the valve is defective, an air leak or the bags are all bad - my guess is the valve.

If the measurement is more than 2 and 3/4 to 3 inches, then it is a problem that there is too much air in the bags but over inflation would not just cause the roughness but also he would have one fun time at the docks.

By the way bob, the maintenance manuals don't have air suspension stuff in them. The only thing that does is the shop manuals.