Rear end change

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
My nephew and I are being given a chance to take over payments on a 2004 Alumib(j)unk International 7500. Overall, it's a nice truck. But, doing some research, I've found those trucks were city trucks (possibly dump truck builds) converted into expediters. It's obvious the rear-end is made for torque. 8mpg is just too low for that kind of engine. Approx how much would it be to change the rear-end?

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
If memory serves me correctly from my lurking around over the years I think the Doggie Daddy fellow on the forums here had the rear ratio changed on his International/Alumabunk for that reason might want to ask him about the price and the ratio he switched to. I recall it was expensive $3000-4000 maybe. Denny

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
Just too many negatives on this truck.

A cr*ppy truck manufacturer
A cr*ppy sleeper manufacturer
A cr*ppy rear end ratio

Run T hawk run as fast as you can from this truck.Don't become another victim. :eek: :eek:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Depending on how it is geared, the engine might have alot of excessive wear running it at constant highway speeds. If it has been red lined to maintain 65 through its life, it will likely need a early rebuild.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator