Rear Bumper Protection

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Any suggestions from the seasoned pros out there on how to protect your cargo van from rear bumper damage when being loaded by a forklift?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The most common thing I've seen is a reciever hitch with a bar in the reciever as a second bumper.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
using a receiver hitch to hold a device to keep the bumper from being damaged will work. but keep in mind that a bumper is made to absorb some impact shock.

the receiver hitch is connected directly to the frame without such dampening ability, so a "hit" to the hitch sends the shock directly to your frame and transmission if engaged.

an alternatve might be rubber cushion pads mounted to your bumper to protect it against scraps etc.

just a thought

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I have had one painted and three chrome rear bumpers. My observation leads me to believe the best protection for the rear bumper is chrome. The towmotor driver is far more careful on the chrome than on the paint. My current 531,000 mile chrome bumper has no dings on it.

I've seen the receiver bar bumper protecter and agree with kg on that issue. I've also seen a wooden 2x4 with a hook that fastens to the lower door latch so it aligns with the bumper. Also a rug the folds over the bumper, and rubber bumper guards that can be purchased from JC Whitney. I'v even seen those bug rubber bumpers seen fastened to loading docks. In my opinion, all of these devices are invitations for the towmotor driver to bang into the back of the van; can't hurt anything because it's protected.

Once again the best protectioj is a good looking, clean van that shows the towmotor driver that it's a personal, not company, van, so treat it accordingly.

Terry

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i make a point to tell'em this is my van or truck and if they hurt it or damage it i have a 2 x 4 with there name on it
our forklift driver at egl orf said may i see it and shown him that it had his name on it, and he said i will be very careful
and a few places that i go to know about the 2 x4 and ask to see it
and shown them the mark on it to
help's break the ice sometimes

FlameMerc

Expert Expediter
Well A few years ago i had a Brand New 2002 E-350 and on my first load at a ramp, they had me park half way up. The Fork lift driver came down the ramp and right into my new Bumper. I was not a Happy Camper to say the least. The next time I got home, I went to a Truck Supply and bought a Large Dock Bumper for Big trucks. Cut it in two pieces and Bolted it over Dents in Bumper. It worked very well after that...Good Luck..Drive Safely...Butch :D :D :D

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
The replies you've gotten are pretty solid. This post reminds me of what a forklift driver did to my van one time though. It's kind of funny in looking back, though I was pretty peeved at the time.

What this guy did when he was taking out my freight, was he had one fork in the van & the other outside of it. Plus he had it WAYYYYYYY to high. He ended up scratching the paint on the outside of my van at about eye level. Yeesh.

No, I didn't have him pay for it. First of all this place was in New York & I live in Michigan. Second the damage was relatively minor, maybe 8 inches of a nail file size scratch. I wonder if that guy has improved, damaged other trucks, or has moved onto something where his skills could be more of an asset, like driving in a demolition derby. =)

Be well,
Danny