Read it and weep ...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
...Did you read the examples she wrote about..? Home boys...did not want to start at the bottom but wanted the green grass....That is the problem with to-days folks...everyone wants to start at the top...and get greatly disappointed when life slaps them in the face with a good dose of reality.

Deville

Not a Member
On average I’m doing 10- to 12-hour days, five days a week,” he said, and he makes about $600 a week, but he’s home every night. “If it wasn’t for Jet I would have had to go back to paying my dues again,” he said.

This article was a wake up call for me.
This guy is killing himself for $600 a week? Is that net or gross? Is he at top pay? Man, I need to be thankful for what I have.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
The whole driver shortage issue has been a lie all along just to get the border opened up. When was the last time you went to get gas or milk and they told you they didn't have any since there aren't enough drivers? The guy from Jet is wondering why he has open positions but looking at what the driver says he makes it looks like they pay $10/hr or less if they get overtime pay as local drivers. You can go to McDonald's and put in the same hours as a manager or assistant manager and make more than twice as much. You could flip burgers and make as much when you figure in time and a half after 40 hours.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The whole driver shortage issue has been a lie all along just to get the border opened up. When was the last time you went to get gas or milk and they told you they didn't have any since there aren't enough drivers? The guy from Jet is wondering why he has open positions but looking at what the driver says he makes it looks like they pay $10/hr or less if they get overtime pay as local drivers. You can go to McDonald's and put in the same hours as a manager or assistant manager and make more than twice as much. You could flip burgers and make as much when you figure in time and a half after 40 hours.

U mite want to check out that overtime at mcd just for ur own information update, they are real big on noooo overtime,or they use to be, been there and done that many moons ago.:D If a person can stand working at a fastfood place, go for it, at least its a job, IM just saying.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If that is the way of things out there, then one has to man up....if it takes 15 hrs a day, if it takes working 2 jobs...you are trying to survive, make a living....no one said it would be easy...that is life.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Read it and weep?

About what?

Another outsider who just interviewed a few truckers and some people who are in midsized companies and now it is a bleek BS future?

The first line that showed it was a BS article is this "There’s been a lot of hype about jobs in the trucking industry lately, but it’s time for a reality check."

What hype?

How many times or even seen trucking ads for jobs on prime time?

When it hits prime time and out of the infomercial stage, then it is hype that can be taken seriously.

We don't have a driver shortage, we have a professional driver shortage. We don't have a recruiting problem, we have a standards problem.

Many companies, even here look for anyone to fill that spot - be it a seat or a fleet slot, and they overlook things like professionalism and quality.

jeff4637

Seasoned Expediter
...Did you read the examples she wrote about..? Home boys...did not want to start at the bottom but wanted the green grass....That is the problem with to-days folks...everyone wants to start at the top...and get greatly disappointed when life slaps them in the face with a good dose of reality.

From My life experience there is only one job that you can start at the top and that's digging a hole

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
If you look at what Recruiters are doing is recruiting from other companies. They want experienced drivers and that's the only place to find them. That's why no jobs in the I wanta job category. Almost no one wants to train people because people really don't know what they are getting into. Big companies don't tell recruits they will be out for weeks on end and home for a day. Expediting is different. Most own their own truck, run with their spouse or???. Expediting is filled with mostly people who are older and have been around trucking most of their lives. Whoever coined the phrase "Trucking isn't a job, it's a lifestyle", actually knew what they were talking about.:cool: