RE:work with fdcc

snowbird74365

Expert Expediter
has anyone noticed the loads going down with fedex? we are in a tractor trailer and since they have done all these changes we aren't being loaded as much. are the other units doing better on getting loaded? i have other sizes of trucks also

targuard86

Expert Expediter
Our total per mile rates for our B and D units have definitely dropped since the change but I think it’s too early to blame anything yet. A few weeks of bad luck could be just that......bad luck.

EagerBeaver

Expert Expediter
The general concensus is that since FedEx established that, help me out on this, I believe they call it the expedited freight network, loads have taken a dive,(check the vru half the loads are going out of areas such as Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Pittsburgh as they did before the program started. Agents have to give customers all shipping options when they call in to have freight picked up, FedEx Freight, CC, Ground, Express, Air....you get the picture. So if a shipper calls in believing he wants to have a C.C truck to show up, he may change his mind when the agent says well, we could have that there just 12 hours later if you go with FedEx Freight and it will save you X amount of dollars.
This is well planned on FedEx's part because it keeps more customers in their books, as opposed to going to other less expensive expediting companies, but it is not doing us a whole lot of good. Its sort of like "we will give you our rate and those of our competiters", except in this case they are one of the same. We stand to lose more loads then we will gain through this procedure because we are the most expensive mode of shipment.(aside from air expedite)
Of course I could be wrong, but it makes since as to why there has been a decline in freight, i'm hearing this from other drivers and o/op's also. Just something to chew on, let me know if you agree.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Other strong implications that Custom Critical may be taking a hit is Fedex Freight National LTL. Today I saw an ex Watkins sraight truck relettered for Fedex Freight National LTL. They run long haul straight through trips similar to expedite but do it with two pups full of LTL.

targuard86

Expert Expediter
Rich,
In our area the straight trucks are only used for local P&D to places that can't accomidate even a pup.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We as well seen several in at the Memphis airport area as we were picking up relatives. One was actually a reefer that wasn't a CC truck. Apparently doing air shipments?
They are still doing plenty of brokered shipments.
What was interesting was the CC convention out in West Memphis, AR.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

EagerBeaver

Expert Expediter
I saw one of those on my way down I75 to FL the other night hauling doubles just as you stated, second sighting I have had of them. Did not know anything about them though. Guess things are just going to get tighter out there. Might just have to click on that kitty kat ad.
:)

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
I spoke with a dispatcher today. She says the Surfce Expedite Network accounts for 30-35 loads a day. A far cry from the hundreds that were expected at the onset of this progrram in May

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
FedEx National VS FXCC RE:work with fdcc

Rich; those pups have been running around in Watkins colours for years.

watkins_volvo_doubles.jpg

Isn't FedEx National and FedEx CC apples and oranges?
National hauls for a different type of customer.
Won't FedEx National possibly cut into FedEx Freight more?
Both are similar operations.

>Other strong implications that Custom Critical may be taking
>a hit is Fedex Freight National LTL. Today I saw an ex
>Watkins sraight truck relettered for Fedex Freight National
>LTL. They run long haul straight through trips similar to
>expedite but do it with two pups full of LTL.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: FedEx National VS FXCC RE:work with fdcc

I think it will affect both companies. Right now most Fedex Freight trips run 4-600 miles and then the trailers are broken down ,reloaded for the next segment and so on. Shipping a shipment from Miami to Boston might require 5 transfers before it's done. As I said in my other post Ex Watkins, now Fedex National LTL runs longer hauls using teams with sleeper cabs. I know of 2 dedicated daily trips ,one from Orlando Fl to the west coast and one from Atlanta to the west coast.

These are the type of trips that can affect Custom Critical in a big way,also Watkins had a large reefer fleet of pups,I can see some W/G loads being diverted. The next year should be interesting.

BonnieMac

Expert Expediter

As an outside carrier (tractor) I have noticed a decline in offers available. Not sure how that fits into the mix, but they don't seem to be offering as many outside the company as I expected with the addition of Con-Way. I used to see at least 100 available loads a day between the two. Now, maybe 1/3 of that.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Ok, maybe I have been lucky but I have been busy. My per mile rate is down but they have been discounted or crummy loads. Last month was great and this month has not slowed down. YET. Let's hope it stays that way. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

And, in case the other guys are reading this: It is possible for Fedex, or any other company, to get it's "clock cleaning"y an upstart who has the "right" work ethic and respects those who do the job for them. WE have to remember, WE are the force!!! Not Wall Street or anyone else. Those who forget this or will forget it will cease to exist. History proves this time and time again. Just ask the guys at Lucky Strike. Layoutshooter

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

Rich is correct,
The impact of Watkins reefer trailers are coming. They likely will have them complete over the next several months. They are still in the process of redecaling them last I heard. You are right, as you are starting to slowly see them now out on the road.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

One thing for sure, the only thing that never changes is the fact the everthing changes. Wall Street knows nothing about truking, just as they know nothing about sporting goods. It might get rough for a year or so, but, those who are willing to work hard will always win. the geeks don't stand a chance. WE are the ones who turn the starter key. Those who have numbers over 70/70 will always win. They are the few and the proud. Panther/FedEx etc. will soon wake up. Maybe a new company? All the winners? All the REAL workers? Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, we have noticed a slowdown in freight with FedEx, but I don't believe it has anything to do with the new compensation schedule. It has to do with the point in the freight cycle we are currently in.

It is the beginning of the month at the beginning of the quarter. We've seen before that freight slows at that time.

While we are seing a difference, FedEx is keeping us rolling. The difference is not in the amount of time and miles the truck is rolling but in the number of pre-dispatch offeres we receive. At the end of the quarter, we were getting predispatched quite a bit. At the beginning of the new quarter, the number of predispatch offers declined but the freight has still been there.