re:beware leasing

mrbill1406

Seasoned Expediter
Please don't do what i did,:(
I have been a panther driver working for a fleet owner who decided to get his own truck

the cost to lease a truck seemed cheaper
460/month versus 1500+ /month.:)

all with 1200 down to start the lease
this used 2000 fl/70 expedite truck
has cost me 30 days of downtime in the last
3 months and over 10,000 in out of pocket expenses not covered by warranty.

leased from trucks at hand in kansas city
don't go there ... junk just junk.:eek:

gave me a premium 2000 truck warranty on the
repairs they did to the truck before i took delivery. truck only went 15,000 miles before
the engine sucked a valve thru a piston.

its $12,000 for new engine from catepillar
warranty will only pay for $10,000.

the electrical system shorted out in fuel island
after buying deisel. starter caught and would
not stop til all batterys were drained.

that was $3000 at freightliner plus towing.

the van roof had a crack in the fiberglass roof we did not know about cost 4,300.00 at great dane for a new van roof. + 600.00 for motel for 10 days.

there are no simple repairs for this abused truck.

we have changed the oil at 4k and 15k. and
500 miles after oil change the engine needed work.

the diesel mechanic at catepillar seemed to think that the repairs done at trucks at hand
were only meant to last a little while. Not being done completely, using used parts possibly.

dont buy or lease from trucks at hand unless
you want to go out of business.

by the way panther keeps deducting qualcomm
satelitte fees, registration fees, insurance, etc
to the tune of about 800.00 / month.

so we may not be in business next month
between the carrier deductions, high cost of diesel, cost of repairs - 8,000 + motel/food/truck payments (4,000) and revenue of 9,000 its been slow/and breakdowns - diesel costs of 4,200 thats 16K going out in 2 months and 9k coming in from panther.

panther is a good company and we have made
money working for a fleet owner, but be very carefull about what kind of used or abused truck you lease or buy. It can put you out of business.:mad:

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Re: beware leasing

Sorry to hear about the truck, its seriously sucks to have mechanical problems with vehicles that pop up out of nowhere. I guess at least you had somewhat of a warranty of sorts, otherwise you'd be out even more $$.:mad:

I'll take it under advice if I buy a truck to have all the checks done with it including the ECM dump, dyno, oil sample check, VIS, etc. I guess your example shows I can't be too careful.

But regarding the Panther deductions every month...

Did you read your contract thoroughly before you signed it? Because you're making it sound like all those deductions to the tune of $800 per month are a surprise:confused:

Last edited:
R

rangell218

I dont know what happen with your truck but if you are able to recover this loss take more time the next go round to read and understand the terms of any agreement, and dont give up Ive learned along time ago brighter days are comming I wish you the best and good luck.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I am too sorry but as Kyreax and rangell218, I wonder did you do your homework on the truck and did you have someone read the lease agreement?

The one reason I tell people to get a lawyer is this, exactly this. Building a relationship with a lawyer from the start may have helped two ways, one is the actual lease and the other is what the mechanic said to you so you may recover some money if there was fraud involved (not say there is or is not).

The stuff that Kyreax mentioned is very important for anyone buying a truck. read back to some threads about what others have gone through.

It always is a bad thing when the truck breaks down.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner

I really sympathize with your situation. It actually is a excellent post of what can really happen. Your post really illustrates the need to never enter into expediting under capitalized.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Agreed Dave...under capitalized...meaning...
flying by the seat of your pants or
hoping for the best or
reaching for the brass ring or
not having a pot to pee in.....

This is not the time to be running to the rainbow for there is NO pot of gold at the end.