rattle. rap...and drip drip drip goes the water...

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter
RE: rattle. rap...and drip drip drip goes the wate

Thanks Dave I'll check it out.
K_G

Gave them a call and they said they didn't have any 3126's avail. either used or rebuilt or rebuildable. They even told me to call CAT.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

What do you want kg, used, rebuilt? Shortblock, complete?

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

XCOL....that all depends on price and availability, although I would rather stay away from used. I guess I would sway more towards the longblock, or the complete.

Thanks.
K_G.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

>XCOL....that all depends on price and availability, although
>I would rather stay away from used. I guess I would sway
>more towards the longblock, or the complete.
>
>Thanks.
>K_G.

KG,
First did you try midwest diesel? If I remember right they had a lot of 3126's and parts.

Second if it a matter of running a $20K bill and not running at all or sticking a used (assmuming cheaper than $20K) in the truck to get back on the road, I would do the latter, but again that's me.

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter

I am sorry my prediction was right, but I have had a lot of unhappy experiences with the 2126 all involved a dropped valve and I know several other people that have had the same problem. There has always been a lot of problems with that motor, they just are not meant to do what we do with them in expediting .I have had mechanics tell me that CAT knows it has a problem but will never admit it because of liability issues.Its been a few years since the last one ,it cost me 15000.00 to rebuild and it never was right. Just a suggestion, see what you can get for the truck as a trade in and go up to a class 8. I got a c112 now with a C 10 cat and with almost 700,000 miles I couldn't be happier good fuel mileage, doesn't use any oil and has been a very reliable engine.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter

UUUGGGGG! I've lived this nightmare!!! I got my short block straight from cat for $4700, but that's just the begining. because it is a dry sleeve, it's gotta come out, and once they do that, everything else goes hay-wire. Crap. That sux!!!!! If it was me, and it's not, (this time), i would think very seriuosly about all my alternatives before i did anything. Gosh, i don't want to make this sound hopeless, i'm just sharing so you have the information to help you decide. If i was at home i'd have access to my record's but, for the year following my engine replacement...i shelled out probably another $8,000, (exhaust,injector cup's, huey pump, injector's, geez...a whole litany),. Not to mention all the down time it cost me. And the fact that i burned a gallon of oil after every tank of fuel after that. It might be better to walk away if you don't owe too much. Maybe start over with a bigger truck. Boy. This stink's. I'd be redisent to take my own advice. And i'm not you. I wonder if dieselphreak is looking for a backyard project. might save ya a ton on labor. you'd probably have to drive for someone else for a while though. i know a couple guy's who are looking for driver's. I wish i could be more helpful. Keep your chin up.

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

I should have my full list of options today. Including trad-in value.

I did check with midwest diesel. That is one of my options. A C-7(3126 on steroids). ACERT technology though. I'd have to add a $3000.00 exhaust system on top of the rest of the expense. I'll update later today. When I have more info.

K_G.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter

A C-7 may not be a bad option. Maybe you if could do a cut away you could drop a C-9 or a C-10 in there! Now that would be something! Whoop's, i think i was flashing back to childhood when we'd get those baseball type card's in our big wad bubble gum pack's and there would be a monster in a 57 chevy with a 327 and a big chrome blower sticking out of the hood and chrome side pipes with flames coming out of them. Anyway, my cousin ordered his 3126 out of a magazine, i'm trying to get ahold of him to see what the detail's were, i'll let you know as soon as i do.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter

my cousin said he saw a brand new 3126 still in the crate for $18,000. I'm thinking you'd be further ahead with a C-7.

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter

Just out of curiosity cause I have a 3126 in my buggy , how many miles were on these trucks ?

riverrat2000

Seasoned Expediter

first one went at 350000 second didn't last a week, rebuilt head that was bad, third one 180000, also have a friend that had one come apart at 300,000 on the first and 130,000 on the rebuild we both now have class 8 trucks his with a c-15 mine with a c-10 and both are over the 600,000 mark with no problems only difference is I get 2 mpg better than his although he can get up the hills a little bit faster, I'll take the milege

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter

Kind of gets my attention cause mine has 450,000 miles on it. Anybody else care to share their stories.

MOUNTAINMAN

Expert Expediter

Well, what is the rest of the story? Are you up and running yet? Hopefully you are!

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

Well so far there is no rest of the story.

except.......
The C-7 was sold the morning I decided to use that to fix the truck. Had my banker only called me back 20 minutes earlier, I would have had a new C-7 in it and running by now.

I've gotten 3 estimates to fix it ranging from 15000 to 20000 bucks. I am still waiting on one estimate for a long block from an outside source that is cat certified.
One of the estimates is from my mechanic, 850 miles away from the truck, so I would have to tow it or ship it on an RGN trailer.

The mileage on the truck was just over 603,000. It gave no prior indication that it was ready to "give up the ghost". Just the brief rattle, rattle, just a couple of thousand yards from the here died Kempers_gramp's truck sign on I-30 in Texas.

For the time being I have gotten my class "A" license and have been driving "big" truck delivering cars for a friend. It's a pretty good gig. Though I miss being able to pull into any Cracker Barrel or similar to catch a good meal at any time, but I'm sure I'll find all the good places to pull off soon.

At this time I have decided to fix it. For what I am not sure. Maybe to sell and try to recoup some of my losses. Maybe I'll take the box off, chop the frame, add a 5th wheel and pull a car hauler. Maybe I'll go back to expediting. Who knows! Right now I have to concentrate on 3000+ miles a week so I can still make my truck payment and pay my personal bills.

If anybody knows of a way to get it home reasonably, (1500 bucks or less, about 850 miles). I would appreciate knowing about it. Or, tell me if I am dreaming about getting it moved for that much.

Thanks for all the good wishes and the sympathy.
Kempers_gramp.

P.S. Who wants buy a nice truck with a new long block for say $35,000.00?

MOUNTAINMAN

Expert Expediter

glade to here you are earning some dough. Just a idea. Could you use the truck now in and lease\rent a fith wheel recker.and tow it your self. Good idea about hot shot.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter

KG,what I think MOUNTAINMAN was talking about was the hydraulic attachment for a fifth wheel that tuns a tractor into a wrecker.DD.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

KG,
Can you find any 3126 anywhere?

I would just stick an engine in it to get it back on the road and home.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but, two years after putting in the new motor, i got tired of banging my head against the ground and sold the whole thing for $5500.00

kempers_gramp

Expert Expediter

I've got an offer for it for $7500.00 and I am seriously thinking about taking it. That would only leave me $12000.00,(twelve thousand) in the hole.

Boy isn't expediting a wonderful place to make all kinds of money!