Rates

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
For starters, Overdrive magazine, Nov,2006, sez the the three top dollar companies for owner operators are Greatwide Logistics Services, FedEx Custom Critical and Landstar. Each of the team driver examples given were tractor operators.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
That's an answer that can't be answered. Why? There is 2 parts to it, one is the contract rate, which is dependent on what type of truck you have, team or solo, carrier, what operating area you want. The second part is the avg rate that the carrier is paying. Face it there is times you'll take a load lower than your contract rate and sometimes more. You can see panther's avgs on the ad above the forums.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Who knows? Rates are constanly changing There more important things to look at then rates. High rates mean nothing if you get 1 trip a week and then sit for 5 days. Do you feel comfortable with a company that considers you "Power" or do you want your name to be recognized every time you call in. Does the company have National Accounts or do they deal with Joe and Helen's Machine shop. Many factors come into play other then high rates.

L

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would agree with Rich. Many factors have to be included to make a fair assessment. Same thing when I hear gross revenue numbers. They mean next to nothing unless you know what was spent to get to that number.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Well Im not looking for an exact number I just wanted to see how big the differences were between each company.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
First to answer your Q.

EGL pays $1.17 miles for hotshots (anything over 100 miles) to their straight trucks. That's not a lot I know. Most of their straight trucks are local though. The pay for local runs is based on distance & weight.

It's a complicated formula but a driver could make anywhere from $6 to $110 to go to zone A (11 miles or under). Most deliveries are going to fall somewhere in the middle. The trucks get loaded w/ quite a few deliveries in the morning & then they get taken to the same general vicinity.

The minimum for a 90 mile run is $30. By itself that's a major OUCH to the wallet. The thing is straight trucks don't take just one run. When they put 10-20 of those runs in your truck & they're all near each other then it becomes a pretty good deal.

All I can say is I see some of these drivers back at the dock a fair amount & they seem to generally be in good spirits. I'm not saying there isn't any, but I don't hear anyone grumble about the overall pay. Everynow & then I hear someone w/ a gripe about a specific delivery, but not the overall pay.

I know ya asked only about the rate of pay. I feel it's important to say I also agree w/ some other posts in giving ya a heads up that rate of pay isn't everything. Maybe ya already know this, not real sure. The rate is a starting point but some of the factors others have mentioned are also important. I hope ya find what you're looking for.

Good luck to ya,
Danny