Rate per mile?

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Just curious. .
What are you guys making these days?
I'm kind of looking at a different carrier and am wondering if there are any companies that are paying better than my current one at 1.37. For a 22 foot straight.
By the way, the company is in Ohio.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just curious. .
I'm kind of looking at a different carrier and am wondering if there are any companies that are paying better than my current one at 1.37. For a 22 foot straight.
Thats pretty low. Are those loaded miles? Do they make you drive any miles for free? What about empty miles? Whats your service area? What type of freight are you moving.

Sent from my LGLS990 using EO Forums mobile app

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Just curious. .
Thats pretty low. Are those loaded miles? Do they make you drive any miles for free? What about empty miles? Whats your service area? What type of freight are you moving.

Just as suspected, a bit low, or Way too low...
That rate is for loaded miles. No FSC.
No paid deadhead unless they are desperate. Tolls are on me, so I try to avoid going to the East coast, but that's where most of the loads go.
General dry freight, mostly automotive related.
I rarely get paid for empty miles, even when heading to a pickup.
I have been running mostly Ohio South to Alabama and East to Pa and Ny.
Have had runs to Fla and West to Vegas and the Arizona border.
I took the Summer off after having my worst month in a year with the company, 16 work days in a month. Got stuck in upstate NY near Saratoga Springs.
I'm just about out of money and have to go back and give it another shot and see if things improve.
I'm an owner op who just sunk 9K in my old truck, so very little choice right now.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Good company? Good rate? Good miles?
I'm based in Northern Michigan.
In a perfect world, I would like to run the Midwest and South.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Yes, I'm in a 22 foot straight truck.
Been with company for a year.
Drove semi before that.
Wanted my own business and expiditing seemed like a good fit for me.
Not making enough money and exploring my options.
Going to stick it out for a few more months though, unless something better comes along.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, I'm in a 22 foot straight truck.
Been with company for a year.
Drove semi before that.
Wanted my own business and expiditing seemed like a good fit for me.
Not making enough money and exploring my options.
Going to stick it out for a few more months though, unless something better comes along.
Is their a issue with your equipment or you that holds you from applying to another carrier.

Alot of time from lack of education and lack of knowledge or from just being lied to from someone desperate to sell a truck, owner operators end of with equipment less than adequate to meet the criteria set by our clients.

Then you end up with a carrier doing open board freight dealing with brokers and you find yourself going to all kinds of non sense places.

At $1.37 with no fsc and no deadhead I would weigh your options or renegotiate your contract.

And contracts are a 2 way street remember that.

Whats good for the carrier is also good for the owner operator. And contracts are a HUGE issue because in all my years I have seen the devastation carriers cause by NOT honoring contracts.

Owner operators leave millions of dollars on the table because they are scared to go after for what they owed because of scare tactics by previous carriers. When i am up to starting a new post I will share some ancient chinese secrets "slum carriers" I call them dont want you to know.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I appreciate your input on this, a voice of experience is always a good thing.
There is no issue keeping me from signing with another company, except perhaps,my 10 year old truck.
I do keep my equipment in tip top shape, even though I was sold a poorly maintained Money Pit. It took a lot of time and money to get it in shape, but it's good now.
I only have a year under my belt and was trying to gain experience and not be jumping from one carrier to another right away as I'm sure that would affect my work record and history.

I am somewhat limited by the age of my truck and relative lack of experience but I have made sure that neither has ever affected my work. I know how to get the job done, safely and on time.

I'm looking around but have not found a better option yet. I know the right one is out there.

John Clark 46

Active Expediter
Retired Expediter
I appreciate your input on this, a voice of experience is always a good thing.
There is no issue keeping me from signing with another company, except perhaps,my 10 year old truck.
I do keep my equipment in tip top shape, even though I was sold a poorly maintained Money Pit. It took a lot of time and money to get it in shape, but it's good now.
I only have a year under my belt and was trying to gain experience and not be jumping from one carrier to another right away as I'm sure that would affect my work record and history.

I am somewhat limited by the age of my truck and relative lack of experience but I have made sure that neither has ever affected my work. I know how to get the job done, safely and on time.

I'm looking around but have not found a better option yet. I know the right one is out there.
Thats where education, representation and reputable carriers unite to provide a united front against what I will now call

"Organized Idiots with Disorganized Priorities".
Their motto is- Running rogue and ruining rates and families at the speed of light!

Education NOT Regulation! United we stand, divide we get nowhere. Someone, anyone? They wanted 3 ideas on another post for the Expedite Expo which is a amazing event that I will be attending next year.

I see 3 ideas that someone should post

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I have been with the company I am leased to for one year.
Been OOS to do truck repairs and deal with a health issue.
Will be going back in about 10 days and plan to stay out until late December.
Will continue to look into other companies that pay a higher rate and am considering going to Load One early next year, unless something better comes along.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You took the summer off after having a bad month? You're going back in 10 days? Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, then in the other foot, then in the hand... You need to make money while the sun is shining, because we all know how the winter plays on our psyche.

Get out and take control of yourself. Your company isn't making you fail, you're making you fail. If you need to switch, then switch. This isn't time to :censoredsign:, so get out there and pitch... yourself. Don't lose the itch, just because you got a twitch. Whadaya think you are, rich?

Do you know what Load One is averaging to the truck nowadays? Is it a lot better than truckload rates?

Start making some calls. Find out what rates are at some of these companies. Find out what drivers are doing at these companies. Quit worrying about babysitting crap like dh and tolls. The meat and potatoes are in the rate, and the other stuff is for you to decide about before you say yes to a load.

Want a bone? No one is going to give you the location to their vein of silver, but I'll throw you a nugget. C&M Transport is one to call. Word of warning, they don't hold your hand... at least when I was there.

Boatcat

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Hey dude, the shooting myself in the foot crap is uncalled for!
The truck broke down, I had no choice but to take time.
Stuff came up that caused delays in the interm.
Your opinion is, well, your opinion. ..
Everyone's situation and perspective is different.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Hey dude, the shooting myself in the foot crap is uncalled for!
The truck broke down, I had no choice but to take time.
Stuff came up that caused delays in the interm.
Your opinion is, well, your opinion. ..
Everyone's situation and perspective is different.

And money is money. You said you took the summer off. How is one to take that? Coming on now and making excuses makes you look disingenuous. Don't play us for fools. Most of us have been around the block a few times.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Not sure if the future for mid-sized carriers is in vans. I don't know L1 like you do but with all the van competition it woul probably work just as well for them to broker out small loads??

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app