Quick question...Anyone? Anyone?

Jumbuck

Seasoned Expediter
Could somebody please tell me once and for all the difference between a Cargo Van and a Sprinter? Couldn't find answer in search. Thanks in advance.
:confused:

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
The size.and capacity in which they can carry.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Size comes to mind first with the sprinter having more cargo space and greater comfort. The sprinter is is more expensive to purchase and maintain but also can provide a greater revenue.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Longer and taller. More expensive to purchase and maintain.

Actually..the 2012 end of model year they were going for as low as $31,999....in some areas of the country....
if you take the little extra bit of fuel savings and put that into a maintance account it'll somewhat offset the extra cost of owning a Mercedes....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Could somebody please tell me once and for all the difference between a Cargo Van and a Sprinter? Couldn't find answer in search. Thanks in advance.
:confused:
A cargo van is a specific type of enclosed vehicle designed to carry cargo freight. A Sprinter can be designed to carry cargo, designed to carry passengers, or designed as a recreational vehicle. It can also be designed with with a non-enclosed flat bed platform that can be used for a plethora of functions and activities.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, I agree the Sprinter prices are reasonable but after reading about all the expensive repairs that some have encountered leaves me afraid of them. Some of these repairs cost more then the cost of my used van. Love the size and height, just afraid of being put out of business because of a repair. Right now if something serious breaks, junk yard parts are easy for GM or just replace van for cheap.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
If you are a beginner buy an used extended Chevy or Ford. After a year if you are confident and you think it is worth the extra money buy a sprinter.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OVM, I agree the Sprinter prices are reasonable but after reading about all the expensive repairs that some have encountered leaves me afraid of them. Some of these repairs cost more then the cost of my used van. Love the size and height, just afraid of being put out of business because of a repair. Right now if something serious breaks, junk yard parts are easy for GM or just replace van for cheap.

Bill.. a well maintained Sprinter can be almost the same as a North American slop bucket....and a well cared for sprinter the expensive breakdowns are rarer then you think....
You wouldn't buy a Jaguar and treat it like crap....so why do some with a Mercedes?....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For our purposes, and having driven both a Sprinter and standard cargo vans, a Sprinter is a really large and sometimes incredibly expensive cargo van.

A Sprinter can be had with a 14 foot long cargo section, and with the Super High Top you can easily stand up in it. The standard cargo van-- I've had both Fords and now this Chevy-- has a 10 foot cargo section and the roof is just over 50" from the floor, with a 48" door height.

The Sprinter, regardless of the nameplate they hang on it, has Mercedes power. Expect to spend money accordingly. The diesel fuel economy is better, the newer ones not as much better though.

Fords and Chevys are cheaper to begin with and cheaper to get fixed when they break than Sprinters are, the gasoline engines burn more fuel and therefore your fuel cost per mile is higher. I haven't driven a diesel standard cargo van, so I don't know how they compare-- except to say that up to now, Fords and Chevies have used American engines so repairs should be easier to get, if not cheaper than Sprinters. Ford is getting ready to bring in the Transport vans that they've had in Europe almost since the invention of dust, so we'll have to see how those compare against Sprinters.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
OVM, I agree the Sprinter prices are reasonable but after reading about all the expensive repairs that some have encountered leaves me afraid of them. Some of these repairs cost more then the cost of my used van.
That's going to start happening with these new vans, as well. But it all depends how you go about getting the repairs done.
Love the size and height, just afraid of being put out of business because of a repair. Right now if something serious breaks, junk yard parts are easy for GM or just replace van for cheap.
The problem is, many people don't have the same attitude when it comes to repairing a Sprinter. True, junk yard parts aren't as easy to come by with a Sprinter, but the Internet and eBay makes it a heck of a lot easier. But more importantly, too many people rely 100% on the dealer for parts and repairs. I just replaced a turbo on my Sprinter. At the dealer it's $2300 plus labor. I ordered a new one with the same warranty as the dealer OEM part for $700, and then the dealer installed it for me.

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
It is a numbers game. If you can afford it yes ,buy it. If you can leave in a cargo van and you want to use the money somewhere else than buy a Chevy/Ford.Some people wants to pay the price driving a Jag some not.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Im saving my money in chevy cargovan, and will wait until the Transport gets here, before investing in foriegn van.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Im saving my money in chevy cargovan, and will wait until the Transport gets here, before investing in foriegn van.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using EO Forums

sorry to burst your bubble but the Transit is as foreign as a Sprinter.....

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
sorry to burst your bubble .....

I know you're big on pickles, but . . .

bubbies+2.jpg