Questions about Expediting

coleman6566

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
US Navy
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about getting started as an expediter and need some help.

I have no experience so I will need to team with someone.

I have plenty of local experience (over 10 years) and have driven all over the southeast but only on a daily basis (home every night).

I have a class B CDL but no X

Interested in straight truck or cargo van.

I live in Alabama

Has the industry turned around any since the fall of the economy?

Are there loads available?

What is the going pay scale?

Which companies are hiring in the southeast?

How long should I expect to be out?

Can I make at least $700/week take home after expenses?

Should I even consider this type of work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rodney

otrdriver

Seasoned Expediter
expediting is saturated with vans. you can find yourself sitting for 2-3 days, even this time of the year. you will be offered loads and the dead head miles (which you pay for all fuel and no money paid to you for your drive time or miles) could be 100 miles and the load offer 200.
a van you have to idle for heat so you will have to burn fuel for heat. or just FREEZE. this is my recent experience.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
a van you have to idle for heat so you will have to burn fuel for heat. or just FREEZE. this is my recent experience.

Most of the van o/o's with experience are not idling their vans for heat,as they have alternative solutions to this problem and are saving money and their equipment.

guido4475

Not a Member
expediting is saturated with vans. you can find yourself sitting for 2-3 days, even this time of the year. you will be offered loads and the dead head miles (which you pay for all fuel and no money paid to you for your drive time or miles) could be 100 miles and the load offer 200.

It sounds like you need to change companies.Freight is moving very well right now.I worked 3 weeks this month, and brought home clear, after all expenses,close to 3,600.00 I took this week off for the holiday. And to do maintenance on the van.God has blessed me.

As far as freezing, the coldest I have been in so far has been 32 degrees, and I have not ran my van yet.All I have is a well insulated sleeper in my van, and a couple of blankets to cover up with.I start it up in the morning for an hour to take the chill off, but it hasnt been that bad.Next year I will have a generator like Ontario Van Man,and a space heater, etc.Harbor Freight does have a small 800 watt generator for $100.00 right now,so that should power a heating blanket.But I think it is around 96 decibals when running.But cheaper than running the van.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about getting started as an expediter and need some help.

Hello and welcome.

Your second sentance is my trigger to say this -

If you are working right now and making good money doing something you know how to do - STAY THERE FOR NOW.

I have no experience so I will need to team with someone.

I have plenty of local experience (over 10 years) and have driven all over the southeast but only on a daily basis (home every night).

Not much different except working within your goals and needs.

I have a class B CDL but no X

Interested in straight truck or cargo van.

Well get one, it should be a test and $20 to $50 to change the license.

I own and drive a truck, but owned and drove a van. If you have truck experience, use it.

Has the industry turned around any since the fall of the economy?

Are there loads available?

No the industry will never "turn around", it is not like that. We are front line service providers (in the technical sense) and much of the work we do is based on the absolute need for something to be moved from point A to point B when it needs to move or when there is no other way.

Loads are available but it depends on a lot of factors which a lot of them are out of any drivers/owners control.

What is the going pay scale?

Which companies are hiring in the southeast?

We don't have pay scales. but If I was going to put a number on it based on hourly rates, right now I am at $3 an hour.

It depends on the company, there should be a few.

How long should I expect to be out?

Can I make at least $700/week take home after expenses?

It depends on where home is.

Maybe, some make a lot more than that while others a lot less.

Should I even consider this type of work?

Not right now, honestly many will make it out like the economy is getting better but I think it will get worst for a while as our great leaders in Washington inject more money into the system and crash our currency.

Hope that helps.