Question on pay

connienorton

Seasoned Expediter
Can I have some input on what is "normal" arrangements for being contracted to an owner/operator. 60% and pay for fuel vs. 40% and not pay for fuel. If paying for fuel at 60% should we be getting the whole fuel surcharge? If we are, are there other expenses that we would pay? i.e., possibly tolls, insurance, et? And if 40% is that 40% of run miles only and no percentage on fuel surcharge? Would appreciate some input on this. Thanks.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The is no normal..well there is what everyone will say SHOULD be..but, either situation is whatever is in THE CONTRACT between the owner and the driver...all details should be covered in the CONTRACT to make sure there are no problems later...no contract? opps....:rolleyes:

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
The C/V O/O I am associated with pays a flat cpm and provides a fuel card, plus reimburses for tolls and faxes; he has this spelled out clearly in his contractor agreement. By doing the flat rate and providing fuel cards, it serves to head off any issues with percentage and fuel reimbursement, what a contracted driver may think they are due as opposed to what the O/O calculates...the potential for differing amounts between the two parties is eliminated. So far this has been working very well for both the O/O and his contracted drivers.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As a added note, whomever is paying the fuel, that person should be recieving 100 percent of the FSC.

TheRebel

Seasoned Expediter
Can I have some input on what is "normal" arrangements for being contracted to an owner/operator. 60% and pay for fuel vs. 40% and not pay for fuel. If paying for fuel at 60% should we be getting the whole fuel surcharge? If we are, are there other expenses that we would pay? i.e., possibly tolls, insurance, et? And if 40% is that 40% of run miles only and no percentage on fuel surcharge? Would appreciate some input on this. Thanks.

With today's fuel price, I'd go for 40% and the owner pays for fuel... speaking about the other inquiries, you have to talk and agree with the owner, who's gonna pay for all that... but usually the driver pays (except the insurance)...

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
With today's fuel price, I'd go for 40% and the owner pays for fuel... speaking about the other inquiries, you have to talk and agree with the owner, who's gonna pay for all that... but usually the driver pays (except the insurance)...

That would depend how the company the truck is leased with handles fsc. If they pay a good fsc the higher the fuel cost the better it works for whoever is paying fuel and getting the surcharge. I would not give up getting 60% and paying for fuel without checking what the company pays for fsc.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
What Xiggi said...while I am an O/O and not a driver for an owner, It really depends on the carrier and how they pay the FSC...I can tell you that with the right carrier, you can make money on the FSC on alot of loads.....depending on the gas mileage you get in the unit you drive and how you drive...

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
Im on a 60/40 split and getting 100% fuel surcharge. Alot of times I make a small profit from the fuel surcharge. Right now it takes about 0.206 fsc to pay for fuel at 16 mpg. So anything more I make money on. Alot of times the fsc is 0.20 + . It also depends on the price of fuel so it might vary a little depending on that.

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Hi. I remember whenever you were investigating expediting! The 1st owner we worked for paid 40% and kept all f/s and paid fuel and tolls including paying for the fuel to deadhead. 2nd owner paid us 55 % and we bought fuel and tolls and got 100% of f/s. We also advanced repair costs. First owner their contract and they screwed us in the end not paying us the last 2 trips. 2nd owner no contract. Of $62k in 6 months we were paid between advance and settlement pay $21000 went for fuel alone last year on the 55% split. Hope that helps. PS. We live in or and got home 5 days in 8 months. Kat. 2nd owner was tval

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

MissKat

Expert Expediter
Also we paid $80 per week accident insurance for 2nd owner. I prefer the owner paying fuel and the lesser split.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App