Question for van owners who use generators.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I am getting ready to install a rooftop air conditioner in a new van. I'am not really a fan of bumper mounted generators in or out of boxes.

My question is for those who put the generators on the ground and chain the units to the van.
Do you experience much vandalism or theft attempts when securing them this way? Any time tested advice for securing them in this manner?

I thank you for your responses.

Stay safe
KG

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
I am getting ready to install a rooftop air conditioner in a new van. I'am not really a fan of bumper mounted generators in or out of boxes.

My question is for those who put the generators on the ground and chain the units to the van.
Do you experience much vandalism or theft attempts when securing them this way? Any time tested advice for securing them in this manner?

Stay safe
KG

Bought thicker chain bike lock and secure to the rear axle leaf springs. No problem yet w/ vandals. What generator and AC you going use?

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Coleman mach 8. Yamaha, yep thick chain. :)

rymilburn

Active Expediter
I have mine mounted on front bumper, I think it looks ugly. Bought it this way. I don't really care, I 'm not trying to impress anyone.

Efficiency matters most. Saw a guy that had it mounted to barn doors in the back, seemed legit.

I thought for sure since mine is mounted in the front, & it's right at pee-height that some chump would of used it as a bathroom. I've caught some drunk in Vegas on the strip sitting on it .

Oh well . Just watch where you park....

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
If I were to someday change my mind and mount the gen to the truck ,I would put it up front like yours .
I have mine mounted on front bumper, I think it looks ugly. Bought it this way. I don't really care, I 'm not trying to impress anyone.

Efficiency matters most. Saw a guy that had it mounted to barn doors in the back, seemed legit.

I thought for sure since mine is mounted in the front, & it's right at pee-height that some chump would of used it as a bathroom. I've caught some drunk in Vegas on the strip sitting on it .

Oh well . Just watch where you park....

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Put your van on the scales before you mount a generator to the front. You want to be sure you have enough capacity for it, some vehicles are already close to their front axle weight maximum. Sure, in a van you'll probably never be called to drive your vehicle across the DOT scales, but excess weight on the front axle still won't do you any good.

Other than that-- for the guys using these on the ground, same thing as the others say. Get a good lock and chain, watch where you park.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Maybe its just me, when I see generators sitting on the ground it just invites someone to still them. If off the ground to me its least likely.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
been using on the ground for about 9 yrs....never lost one YET.....I usually only chain it when leaving the truck to go into store or shower...IF it needs to be running.....Thick chain?....Why? A good thief will have a bolt cutter anyhow...thickness makes no difference..just an extra 10 lbs of ballast...besides the Handle on a Honda is just hard plastic....easy to snap off if someone really wants it.....I have a light chain for deterent reasons only it may slow them down....LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Maybe its just me, when I see generators sitting on the ground it just invites someone to still them. If off the ground to me its least likely.
Naaa. You've got a much better chance of having an uninvited army of fire ants in your van than you do of someone stealing the generator.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Naaa. You've got a much better chance of having an uninvited army of fire ants in your van than you do of someone stealing the generator.

In the summer if ya leave the cord on the ground that is exactly what has happened to me at least 3 times I have learned to loop the cord thru the door handle!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
In the summer if ya leave the cord on the ground that is exactly what has happened to me at least 3 times I have learned to loop the cord thru the door handle!
I know. Every time I hear of, or see a fire ant, I think of you. And I smile.

guido4475

Not a Member
been using on the ground for about 9 yrs....never lost one YET.....I usually only chain it when leaving the truck to go into store or shower...IF it needs to be running.....Thick chain?....Why? A good thief will have a bolt cutter anyhow...thickness makes no difference..just an extra 10 lbs of ballast...besides the Handle on a Honda is just hard plastic....easy to snap off if someone really wants it.....I have a light chain for deterent reasons only it may slow them down....LOL

A Honda EU2000 has four feet on the bottom of it, right? Bolted to it?.....Have a plate of aluminum or metal, bolt it in place of the four feet to the bottom of the generator....weld a full length to the plate, which will be the same size of the underneath of the generator....on the other side of the hinge, weld another piece of metal or whatever to that....so that way, during storage or moving it around, the plate can be flipped up. But while parked, you sit the generator next to the front tire, drop the part welded to the hinge, so it is laying on the ground in front of the tire, and pull up on it....almost, virtually theft proof....

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Stay safe
KG

I've chained it to the front bumper, in my opinion the best place to keep it on the ground. A thief wouldn't dare to operate in front of your windshield...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note III

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Honda EU2000 has four feet on the bottom of it, right? Bolted to it?.....Have a plate of aluminum or metal, bolt it in place of the four feet to the bottom of the generator....weld a full length to the plate, which will be the same size of the underneath of the generator....on the other side of the hinge, weld another piece of metal or whatever to that....so that way, during storage or moving it around, the plate can be flipped up. But while parked, you sit the generator next to the front tire, drop the part welded to the hinge, so it is laying on the ground in front of the tire, and pull up on it....almost, virtually theft proof....

you should make a prototype and try to get it on the market.....

DST001

Expert Expediter
I've been putting my generator on the ground behind the van for 4 years now I don't think any one has ever tried to seal it I use a bike lock cable inside plastic wrap around the rear bumper and through the handle on my hyundia 2000 I should have gone with the honda but that's for a different form .

Mike99

Veteran Expediter
New Honda 2000i chained to bumper, somebody broke the plastic handle during the night and .....gone.That happened in Memphis last winter.

fifaref2

Seasoned Expediter
New Honda 2000i chained to bumper, somebody broke the plastic handle during the night and .....gone.That happened in Memphis last winter.

I have the honda companion. Im thinking of installing a metal handle around the plastic handle now.