Question for Leo Bricker on fuel cost analysis

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
I just read your analysis of diesel price vs cost distributed in the weekly bulletin from FDCC, and if you haven't posted it on the forum here someplace, you should. However, it seems to me there's a missing component.

Your example is based on a particular truck run and does calculations with a certain stated fuel consumption mpg. I don't dispute your cost analysis based on those figures, but what mpg rate does the state use to calculate their charges and credits? Since trucks, and the manner in which they are driven, varies from truck to truck and driver to driver, there is no way for the state to know what mpg rate any particular truck buying fuel or driving the highway experiences. Therefore, the state must be using a "standard mpg" figure in it's calculations. Do all states use the same? If not, then the rate used for calculation by each state must be treated as another variable in your equation before you can say with assurance which is the better place to fuel up in order to maximize overall savings.

I think you did a masterful job of analysis, but I think I'd need a special computer program running all the time to tell me when and where to fuel up. I'd probably burn up more fuel/money sitting on the side of the road idling while making phone calls to check fuel prices and then running calculations than I'd save in the process. I know it may cost me, but it seems the most practical way to operate is to fuel up when necessary and let the averages sort it out.

Doug Simmons
FDCC DR4284

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The company uses the miles driven and gallons purchased to calculate the mpg for each unit. The state doesn't do any calculations or set any standard mpg ratings. The quarterly fuel tax receipt should indicate the mpg used for calculations for that quarter. Failing to send a fuel receipt to the company will result in more money being taken out since the fuel taxes paid with the missing purchase won't be credited to your account. That applies more to other carriers since our TCH card automatically records the purchase for us. You don't need a computer, just the info in the article. I hope that helps.

moose

Veteran Expediter
"Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like. "

Support the entire EO family , not just the parts you like .

or in other words , can you Please post a link to your masterpiece ?

Please ?

Moose.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It used to be anchored as the first post in the newbies section. I don't see it now. I don't know where it went. You'll have to find out from the webmaster where it is.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
WOW!! Leo and Terry on the same day!! Great to see you both again. With any luck I will run into you guys out on the road one day. Layoutshooter