Question for Firearms Experts

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am looking at a couple of .223's right now. I like the old fashioned feel of a Ruger but they can't handle the 5.56mm rounds. RRA makes thier rifles with the Wylde chamber. It can handle both rounds but is the pistol grip type stock. Not comfortable in my hands. Layoutshooter

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I am looking at a couple of .223's right now. I like the old fashioned feel of a Ruger but they can't handle the 5.56mm rounds. RRA makes thier rifles with the Wylde chamber. It can handle both rounds but is the pistol grip type stock. Not comfortable in my hands. Layoutshooter

The gas pressure of the NATO 5.56x45 round is to high to shoot in most rifles. If the rifle is stamped .223 it was not made for the higher pressure of the 5.56 round, only use the 5.56 round in rifles stamped 5.56 cal. on the receiver or barrel. most rifles that can handle the 5.56 round are of the military type clones which have the pistol grip stock. I have both Bushmaster and DPMS(Panther Arms) rifles in 5.56x45. I haven't looked for any rifles with a conventional style stock that is chambered in 5.56x45, but there is a few out there, try to google it and see what comes up. There is a new .223 round coming out with a heavier bullet that will give the .223 more volicity without increased gas pressure. The 5.56 round available to the general public does not have the volicity of the combat and law enforcement round that uses a different propellant, it does have a higher gas pressure though. Wolf Ammunition makes a number of .223 and 5.56 ammunition at affordable prices.
My Bushmaster and DPMS rifles both handle the Wolf ammunition well but my friends Rock River Arms rifle keeps jamming when he uses it. I have a Ruger Mini 14 pre ban rifle that I use the wolf ammo in. I would look at the Ruger and use the Wolf .223 ammo with the FMJ bullet and steel case, it is non corrosive and works well, it is also cheaper than the surplus 5.56x45. I buy it in bulk, 1000 rounds at a pop. I personally think that the Rock River Arms products are way over priced, I out shoot my friends all the time with my Bushmaster flat top and DPMS carry handle models.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok kids

Its like this want to shoot pop cans go get ya a daisy red Rider BB gun

Want to save your but in a Closecombat situation well then lets just break it down.

MP3 wonderful for taking Buildings and Airplanes making sure your carring 4 30 round clips to go with it. Now once youv expended your MP3 you go for the 9mm for back up 2 too the chest and one 2 the head bad guy is taken out.

Now Lets go Saw 240 as you know replaced the M60 then they came out with the 249 lite in weight and ya can play Rambo with it. Some of you old timers sorry.

Want to get serious one shot one Kill then lets do the 50 cal sniper rifle which is good for 3/4 of a mile and Better.

I know what U old timers will say about the 9mm sorry charlie that old 40 and 45 cals not good enough too cumbersome.

Now lets go Hunting
Racoons a 22 rifle is good for that.
Fox Coyote 222 or 223 or 243 or 250 or 270. 12 Gage Shoot gun for close in.

Deer 270 or the 300 303 308 3006 or 12 gage double 00 buck
or Black powder 50 cal or 54 cal
or Bowe

Squirrels 22 rifle or a Pellet gun

Qual 410 #6 shot 20 gage

Pheasant 410 or 20 or 12 gage I perfer the 12

Goose The 12 gage or the grandads old gooseer 10 gage.
ha ha

Jack Rabbit Of course the 12 gage or the 22 or even the 218bee

Swamp Rats well nothing less than the 22.

Turkeys well 12 gage.

Bob cats 218bee

Bears 300 or the 357 big game. 337 is a good too.

Be safe and Have fun this Hunting Season.
dont forget to wear your Orange vests

Animals are color blind they realy are.

If if you cant run with the big dogs better stay on the Poarch

Because when the tail gate drops the U Know what on here Stops.

I just droped the tail gate and I done playen shuck and Jive with with yas. so you all have nice day. Its hunting Season and time to Get Serious people.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the 30.06, 30.30, 30.40 Kraig, 3 .50 cal Thompson Center muzzle loaders, 2 .22 rifles, a pump made into a slug gun 12ga, a 12ga slug gun on a 10ga barrel, a 3 1/2 12ga, Benelli Super Black Eagle and some assorted other stuff. I was looking for the .223 for noiser plinking and Coyotes (day time only). Around here you have to hunt with rimfire at night. I am leaning toward the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. Hope to get in a layout hunt in the morning, the truck is in the shop, might as well hunt some duck. That is, if there is water in Lake Erie. These heavy SW winds we are having tend to push the water out from our side of the Lake over to Canada. We shall see. If I can't get the boat out maybe I will walk out on the exposed mud flats. Layoutshooter

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I have the 30.06, 30.30, 30.40 Kraig, 3 .50 cal Thompson Center muzzle loaders, 2 .22 rifles, a pump made into a slug gun 12ga, a 12ga slug gun on a 10ga barrel, a 3 1/2 12ga, Benelli Super Black Eagle and some assorted other stuff. I was looking for the .223 for noiser plinking and Coyotes (day time only). Around here you have to hunt with rimfire at night. I am leaning toward the Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. Hope to get in a layout hunt in the morning, the truck is in the shop, might as well hunt some duck. That is, if there is water in Lake Erie. These heavy SW winds we are having tend to push the water out from our side of the Lake over to Canada. We shall see. If I can't get the boat out maybe I will walk out on the exposed mud flats. Layoutshooter

There ya goes

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Ok kids

Its like this want to shoot pop cans go get ya a daisy red Rider BB gun

Want to save your but in a Closecombat situation well then lets just break it down.

MP3 wonderful for taking Buildings and Airplanes making sure your carring 4 30 round clips to go with it. Now once youv expended your MP3 you go for the 9mm for back up 2 too the chest and one 2 the head bad guy is taken out.

Now Lets go Saw 240 as you know replaced the M60 then they came out with the 249 lite in weight and ya can play Rambo with it. Some of you old timers sorry.

Want to get serious one shot one Kill then lets do the 50 cal sniper rifle which is good for 3/4 of a mile and Better.

I know what U old timers will say about the 9mm sorry charlie that old 40 and 45 cals not good enough too cumbersome.

Now lets go Hunting
Racoons a 22 rifle is good for that.
Fox Coyote 222 or 223 or 243 or 250 or 270. 12 Gage Shoot gun for close in.

Deer 270 or the 300 303 308 3006 or 12 gage double 00 buck
or Black powder 50 cal or 54 cal
or Bowe

Squirrels 22 rifle or a Pellet gun

Qual 410 #6 shot 20 gage

Pheasant 410 or 20 or 12 gage I perfer the 12

Goose The 12 gage or the grandads old gooseer 10 gage.
ha ha

Jack Rabbit Of course the 12 gage or the 22 or even the 218bee

Swamp Rats well nothing less than the 22.

Turkeys well 12 gage.

Bob cats 218bee

Bears 300 or the 357 big game. 337 is a good too.

Be safe and Have fun this Hunting Season.
dont forget to wear your Orange vests

Animals are color blind they realy are.

If if you cant run with the big dogs better stay on the Poarch

Because when the tail gate drops the U Know what on here Stops.

I just droped the tail gate and I done playen shuck and Jive with with yas. so you all have nice day. Its hunting Season and time to Get Serious people.

Why such a large cal. for Bear, a .308 is just right, in fact the .308 is a great all around cal. for most large game.

For all the varmints you have listed, the .204 Ruger is a better choice.

For the birds, a 20 guage is just right.

I would rather have the .45 colt 1911 any day, so would most SF units. I would never trust the lack of knock down power the 9mm has, Ask yourself this. If you got shot, would you rather be hit with a 9mm or a .45 ACP? I would venture to say you would rather be hit with the 9mm., thats why I would carry the .45. I know if I hat you with a .45 you will go down, not so with a 9mm. Just talked to a Marine just back from Iraq, said the 9mm sucks in combat. They all wished they had the .45.

Sniper rifle, the .50 cal. BMG is great at long distances. for regular work at out to 200-300 yards you can't beat the Remington 700 BDL sniper rifle. Which is still being used.

For clearing buildings and CQC the MP3 works well.

The M60 was a great weapon and served it's purpose, the new M249 is a lighter squad weapon and works well.

Yup, I'm one of those oldtimers, nothin' wrong with that, I did my thing 40 years ago, when you was just a pup probably.

the best all around weapon to this day is the AK 47, you won't find a more rugged weapon.

My personal favorite is the M14, I think it's the best weapon the US made, though it's lifespan in service was short compared to other weapons. I know they are still used today in a limited capacity.