question about mb engine

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
talked to a fella today in an m2 business class truck with the 280 hp mb engine. six speed and a six wheeler. he said he thought it got around 20 mpg. he said after 500 miles the needle hardly moves thru the first quarter tank. he said it was more of a city truck than a highway hauler. no guts in the mountains but really good in the midwest flatlands.

is this possible in an expediter truck? is this the best kept secret in trucking?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The best hope for any straight truck getting 20 mpg is the one that is going down a cliff.:eek:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There is no way it's getting anywhere near that. Either the gauge isn't working correctly or it's being misread or misreported. Any truck that gets any 2 digit mpg number is the exception and doing very well.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it's mounted on a skid in the box and left idling, it will get 20 mpg.

Actually pulling the truck down the road, not a chance.

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
talked to a fella today in an m2 business class truck with the 280 hp mb engine. six speed and a six wheeler. he said he thought it got around 20 mpg. he said after 500 miles the needle hardly moves thru the first quarter tank. he said it was more of a city truck than a highway hauler. no guts in the mountains but really good in the midwest flatlands.

is this possible in an expediter truck? is this the best kept secret in trucking?

Did this conversation begin with the phrase:"driver, you ain't gonna believe this, but"....................

Packmule

Expert Expediter
Jack, He wasn't by any chance trying to sell you this truck was he???:confused:
Well so much for the Sprinter guys having braggin' rights!!:eek:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
well he wasn't pulling wool over my eyes. i did find it strange that he is paying the fuel and did not know his mpg. selling me his truck danny, no. he is trying to get back to turn it in for a new one with his owner.