Qualcomm startup speed

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Panther replaced my old Qualcomm with the new smaller type unit and I like it better but I have a question for other users. The new unit takes 10 to 15 minuted to load up when it has been shut off for a few hours. That can be very frustrating when waiting to accept a load or find an address to drive to.
Do I have a lemon or is this typical for the newer type unit?
Thanks Folks.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mine takes a long time to 'wake up' too, though I don't think it's that long. [It just seems like it, when you're staring at it.]

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
mine took 1 minute 22 seconds to start this morning. sometimes i'm sure it takes longer. it's one of the reasons i write down all my load information when it first comes over. it doesn't help with the first boot, but i don't have to wait on the qualcomm if it decides to reboot at other inconvenient times.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess QC behavour would also depend if your carrier is internet based or really satellite based...

mine if no internet signal it tends to "wait" for a long time...

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Qualcomm Booting slow yup the New Navagation Program they installed is a piece of Crap. I would have rather had the old one the new one jumps around and then you have to push a button to bring it back. Worse than the RANDMcNALLY DOES. Agreed the boot up is long and then when the speaker stops working you got to pull over if running single, pain in the but. Same goes if they hit you with a load, the Bloody thing locks up Just when your coming up on a scale. The same with those unwarranted BOLS that come out it Locks up as well. Pull over call Qualcomm to get it rebooted. The bloody thing will work for a bit more. The unite is new the so is the wiring and the Black Box as well. Boot Reboot yup. Got all the new soft ware and I'm told all is well. Any one ever see the thing hanging out my window well you know I had enough and I decide to hang it at the gallows. High Tec REALLY HOW ABOUT MADE IN INDONESIA. I don't know what's worse China, Japan, Indonesia or Mexico. Good Golly Da Burn it its not made in USA to me its JUNK. Garbage is taken out. Have a nice Weekend all.3390KevI80_0001_0001.jpg

Last edited:

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
That seems like a really long time to me. But remember the newer models are all really small pc's. The MCP 50 runs on Windows CE, the MCP 200 that we use runs on Windows XP I believe. So if you consider it takes a computer 2 minutes or so to fully boot up that is about what I would expect. I would think the MCP 50 being less powerful would boot possibly a little faster.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If it took my laptop 2 minutes to boot up, y'all would be asking what happened to Cheri, cause I would be reading instead - the Kindle is instant on, lol.
What about when elogging, and 2 minutes is the difference between legal and violation? :confused:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it took my laptop 2 minutes to boot up, y'all would be asking what happened to Cheri, cause I would be reading instead - the Kindle is instant on, lol.
What about when elogging, and 2 minutes is the difference between legal and violation? :confused:
In reality the QC is always 'ON"...It just goes to "sleep mode" If you look at FV it always pings your location even when the hand held is "asleep"

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
The QC draws miliamps so one option is to have your company change your shut down time. Have them make it stay awake longer. Most default to 60 mins and then it starts its sleep cycle and then wakes up every so often.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The QC draws miliamps so one option is to have your company change your shut down time. Have them make it stay awake longer. Most default to 60 mins and then it starts its sleep cycle and then wakes up every so often.

Thank you, but the shut down cycle isn't the problem, the delay in waking up is what's frustrating - particularly when waiting to get the address for the shipper that you just barely have time to make, maybe. 26 miles? 30 minutes, no problem, lol.
I know, we won't get 'dinged' for being a few minutes late, but it stresses me out to think I will be. And I have no patience, lol. ;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thank you, but the shut down cycle isn't the problem, the delay in waking up is what's frustrating - particularly when waiting to get the address for the shipper that you just barely have time to make, maybe. 26 miles? 30 minutes, no problem, lol.
I know, we won't get 'dinged' for being a few minutes late, but it stresses me out to think I will be. And I have no patience, lol. ;)

Well if your fleet owner would set you up with your own fleetvison account you could see the info on your phone

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't want my own FV acct, got enough to keep up with already! And I hate using the phone as a 'puter, too. The info is available on the QC, just not as quickly as dispatch seems to think, sometimes.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I understand its a booting issue but these settings will affect how soon it goes into a deep sleep which will take longer to boot up. Its kind of like windows os with hibernate mode. Then after so long it goes into a deeper sleep which takes a good while longer to boot back up. We run the GPS software on them and they are MCP110 units.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't want my own FV acct, got enough to keep up with already! And I hate using the phone as a 'puter, too. The info is available on the QC, just not as quickly as dispatch seems to think, sometimes.

When I am on the phone to dispatch I get my butt over and turn the key ASAP...that QC needs to be booted up.....I seem to get the workflow quicker that way....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In reality the QC is always 'ON"...It just goes to "sleep mode" If you look at FV it always pings your location even when the hand held is "asleep"
Not the MCP 50s that Panther puts in vans. Mine will stay on for about 50 minutes and then goes comatose until it gets a jolt of volts from turning on the ignition. While in this vegetative state it does nothing. It neither sends nor receives signals.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not the MCP 50s that Panther puts in vans. Mine will stay on for about 50 minutes and then goes comatose until it gets a jolt of volts from turning on the ignition. While in this vegetative state it does nothing. It neither sends nor receives signals.

Does it not even ping your location to the office? Ours do

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Boot-up time for my MCP 50 this morning.
Bootuptime_zpsb2f9bd60.png

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
No updated satellite positions from the time it shut down last night to when I hit the ignition this morning. My old QC would go to sleep and then wake up every few hours and send my position.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
No updated satellite positions from the time it shut down last night to when I hit the ignition this morning. My old QC would go to sleep and then wake up every few hours and send my position.

Ours send even when unit is asleep...basically only the power to the handheld unit is asleep...the black box is always on...one of the causes why our batteries die when OOS for an extended time....right now I have the main power disconnected...no location since I unplugged it.
I used to leave it plugged in but after the 10 days or so of not moving I'd have to boost myself...