purchasing a ST

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I don't think I'm nearly experienced enough to think about purchasing a ST yet. But what types of things should I try to learn / keep track of in the meantime to consider purchasing one in the future?

I was comfortable with purchasing a Sprinter / CV because I understand them and they aren't that different from a car / truck but I feel like a ST is a much bigger step and I feel like my mechanical abilities are probably my biggest downfall.

I'm not mechanically handicapped, I'm just severely disinterested. I've worked on cars changing headers on a 85 Monte Carlo, brake work etc... I just don't like it at all anymore.

How much experience do you all recommend I gain driving before I consider jumping into ownership? I don't think I'd want to buy a truck without a co-driver as I see the opportunities of more loads.

Also is bigger really better? I like the less paperwork of being under 26k and no fuel tax. I find that I rarely carry a load that weighs over 5k.

Also income wise, could I do ok as an o/o if I hire a co-driver or would his income be too low to make it worthwhile for him?

Also I seen a bunch of trucks for $10-20k with 600k miles on them. Are these a bunch of headaches? What is the ideal range for a used truck without it having major issues?

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Well I'm considering this in the future but not until I have enough in the bank for expenses at home,down payment,2 truck payments and a nice maint. Fund.

Also we haul alot of light and heavier loads so a dual axle or even add on tag axle seems more profitable. Even straight trucks under 26,001 and over 10,000 have to scale and run the 11/10 rule so why limit what you could haul?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would think a Tag axel would be better, because it can be lifted when not in use. Saving an axle at the Tolls. Also a sleeper you can be comfortable in.

leezaback

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
we had both-tag and tamdem, I would take the tamden any day, better ride, yes alittle more in tolls, but I hated the tag-just my opinion for what it's worth, not alot but giving it anyway:D

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I would think a Tag axel would be better, because it can be lifted when not in use. Saving an axle at the Tolls. Also a sleeper you can be comfortable in.

Just curious, is it standard to lift the Tag axel 100% of the time when coming to a toll booth even if you are loaded?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Not a good idea. You can get nailed for toll avoidance. You can also be taken to scale and weighed with axle up. Then you may be overweight. A friend in a red DR was over on the steers in Canada. They would not let her put her axle down because the controls were in the cab. They turned her around at the scales and sent her back to the US. She lost the load.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't think I'm nearly experienced enough to think about purchasing a ST yet. But what types of things should I try to learn / keep track of in the meantime to consider purchasing one in the future?

Learn how to account for everything. Get a journal or what ever and write every expense and every important thing down. Learn how to keep track of your maintaince and how to plan on PM.

I was comfortable with purchasing a Sprinter / CV because I understand them and they aren't that different from a car / truck but I feel like a ST is a much bigger step and I feel like my mechanical abilities are probably my biggest downfall.

There's not much difference, I think it may be harder to buy a good sprinter (Due Diligence) than it is a good truck.

I have posted (many times) the steps to take in buying a truck, and I have not bought a lemon yet using those steps.

Here is an overview -

1 - an Oil Anaylisis

2 - engine dyno for blowby

2a - an ECM dump with a printout (believe me this is important)

3 - Vis-Check (look it up)

4 - research on the engine and chassis through the manufacturer and dealer (which means looking at the work done on the truck through the serial numbers)

5 - a test drive of more than 5 minutes with you in the driver's seat.

I'm not mechanically handicapped, I'm just severely disinterested. I've worked on cars changing headers on a 85 Monte Carlo, brake work etc... I just don't like it at all anymore.

Cars are nothing. If you can work on the sprinter with something more than changing the fuel filter or simple things, great. '85s were dogs by the way :D

How much experience do you all recommend I gain driving before I consider jumping into ownership? I don't think I'd want to buy a truck without a co-driver as I see the opportunities of more loads.

I think you should be on the road with a truck for at least a year to five - just kidding.

If you pass the CDL test, learn how to drive sanely and understand that the truck isn't a van, then you should be alright.

Co-driver?

That may be good for those who want to take an easy way out but there are a lot of money making opportunities for a solo. You may not make the $200k but then again that $200k has to be split between the truck, you and the other driver.

Also is bigger really better? I like the less paperwork of being under 26k and no fuel tax. I find that I rarely carry a load that weighs over 5k.

YES it is. I don't mean the apartment on wheels, which may sound great but if you want opportunities, then the bigger box with tandems is the way to go. There are a few of us (I'm not one) among us who can take pretty heavy loads and I thought about taking my HH truck and putting a box on it so I can take up to 60k but I feel it is working a lot more than if I had the box.

Fuel tax, don't even worry about that - it is too trivial and too unimportant when you come down to it.

I have to ask, if you are running a sprinter, how can you carry anything over 2500lbs?

Also income wise, could I do ok as an o/o if I hire a co-driver or would his income be too low to make it worthwhile for him?

I would do this, drive as a solo and pick a company that will allow you to find your own work. You will be surprised how much you can make.

Also I seen a bunch of trucks for $10-20k with 600k miles on them. Are these a bunch of headaches?

Depends - read my steps.

What is the ideal range for a used truck without it having major issues?

$80 to 100k, seriously

You have to do your due diligence and stick to a plan. Don't be rushed into a purchase unless you have deep pockets and patients to fix stupid things.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Greg,

That is exactly what Iwas looking for. How hard wouldit be to get a dealership to cover the costs of thetests that yourecommend? Do you have a ballpark figure what they would cost in total?

Also just an FYI but I'm not driving a sprinteranymore, been in a ST since Sept (in regards to your 2500 lbs comment) I think I did 2 loads in the 3k range though when I was.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Greg,

That is exactly what Iwas looking for. How hard wouldit be to get a dealership to cover the costs of thetests that yourecommend? Do you have a ballpark figure what they would cost in total?

I always pay because it eliminates the BS of trying to convince someone to allow you to do it. I never bought from a dealer because I got tired of two issues with dealers, one was feeling I was taking their time up when I was more important to them then they are to me and the other has been that I have yet to meet one that was completely honest and willing to tell me the truth.

As for costs, I pay about $300 to $400 a truck. On the last two trucks, I did this after the purchase because of how I got them, one was through an auction and the other was through a repo prevention move on the owner's part.

Also just an FYI but I'm not driving a sprinteranymore, been in a ST since Sept (in regards to your 2500 lbs comment) I think I did 2 loads in the 3k range though when I was.

OK so I would say - get your own truck now.