Proxy Servers

Camper

Not a Member
In this age of privacy erosion, one of the issues I find to be of utmost importance is internet security/privacy.
Whether you know it or not, everytime you log into an internet forum, your IP address is visible to whoever owns that site. Normally, it's inconsequential but sometimes, such access enables the implantation of cookies and spyware onto you system. Another issue is your IP address enables others to pinpoint your location.

To mitigate such risks I use a proxy server which in turn hides my actual IP address and displays an alternate decoy one.

I'm curious to know how many other folks out there use proxy servers for your business network. If you're not already using one, you might want to consider doing so if you conduct most of your business online.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In this age of privacy erosion, one of the issues I find to be of utmost importance is internet security/privacy.
Whether you know it or not, everytime you log into an internet forum, your IP address is visible to whoever owns that site. Normally, it's inconsequential but sometimes, such access enables the implantation of cookies and spyware onto you system. Another issue is your IP address enables others to pinpoint your location.

To mitigate such risks I use a proxy server which in turn hides my actual IP address and displays an alternate decoy one.

I'm curious to know how many other folks out there use proxy servers for your business network. If you're not already using one, you might want to consider doing so if you conduct most of your business online.

Explain further please.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm just surprised that in this day and age, so many remain so cavalier about online privacy.

Many people don't understand much about online privacy. Myself included. We have virus protection and a firewall then think that all is hunky dory.

My son started me thinking along these lines. His bank accounts have been hacked twice now. Small amounts of money taken. He has been able to track down on of the thieves, gave the information to the police, they said that they may get a case number assigned in a week or so. They don't seem to interested in petty theft.

Camper

Not a Member
Many people don't understand much about online privacy. Myself included. We have virus protection and a firewall then think that all is hunky dory.

My son started me thinking along these lines. His bank accounts have been hacked twice now. Small amounts of money taken. He has been able to track down on of the thieves, gave the information to the police, they said that they may get a case number assigned in a week or so. They don't seem to interested in petty theft.

You're right, internet security doesn't tend to register with most people until something happens. For the most part, a good anti-virus program and a firewall are all a casual user needs, provided they're updated regularly.

For business users, though it's not nearly enough and that's the mistake many make- they assume that a home computer caliber security suite is adequate for commercial use.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My son is not running a business. I know he is up on his virus software and firewall. He is very good about keeping those things up. As am I.

He got hacked anyway. He is not rich. One would think he was too small a fish to go after. WRONG!! Now he is in the process of closing out all his accounts and starting over with new ones. A real pain in the butt to be sure.

This is something that he and I both need to explore further. It may take a bit. I don't yet understand things that I am looking at.

Camper

Not a Member
My son is not running a business. I know he is up on his virus software and firewall. He is very good about keeping those things up. As am I.

He got hacked anyway. He is not rich. One would think he was too small a fish to go after. WRONG!! Now he is in the process of closing out all his accounts and starting over with new ones. A real pain in the butt to be sure.

This is something that he and I both need to explore further. It may take a bit. I don't yet understand things that I am looking at.

Like anything else that's computer-related, security maintenance is much easier than it appears. Just don't let the jargon intimidate you.

I would recommend a proxy server if you're using the unit for any business purpose. I, myslef, though use it for all my computers and its very effective. Nobody can track my whereabouts, other than to a fictitious IP location, opposite where I am.

BTW...Your son might want to get an anti-malware program, as it appears he might have a keylogger trojan on his computer. That is one way hackers hack into bank accounts.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Hate to break the news to you but the browser will give that IP address away.

With that said, I can't figure out how people can jump up and down in favor of facebook and twitter while screaming about their privacy. All facebook has to have happen is a simple hack and BOOM all that info is opened up. With the new agreements being made between facebook and other service providers - like netflix (who by the way is fastracking changes in the law here to "share" user info while we are suffering more job loses), the line is more blurred of what is shared and who has access.

Camper

Not a Member
Hate to break the news to you but the browser will give that IP address away.

With that said, I can't figure out how people can jump up and down in favor of facebook and twitter while screaming about their privacy. All facebook has to have happen is a simple hack and BOOM all that info is opened up. With the new agreements being made between facebook and other service providers - like netflix (who by the way is fastracking changes in the law here to "share" user info while we are suffering more job loses), the line is more blurred of what is shared and who has access.

Yeah, but with a proxy server program(mine, anyway), what the browser displays on the other end is a decoy.

Last edited:

Camper

Not a Member
Well are you using a proxy server or a VPN?

I actually use both, a VPN(virtual private network) and a proxy server program which sounds like overkill gives me that additonal peace of mind.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Proxy servers do a good job of hiding your real IP address. But it depends on the program you use and how you use it. If you want to hide your IP from a Web host, any simple proxy will work. Most will send your data through a proxy server, and will use a different server with each session. That alone is enough to hide your IP address. But it's not enough to truly keep you private, since repeated hits during the same session through the same proxy server can be easily traced by anyone with the tools to do it. Using a simple Web proxy can burn you if you use the same proxy to check e-mail and for other Internet activities (background checks for things like Windows Update, syncing, and those daily checks for updates from installed software), as over time (usually about 3 sessions, sometimes less) these tracing tools will nail your real IP address and location. But for most people who don't do anything illegal on the Internet, for general Internet activity and Web surfing, a simple Web proxy is fine. However, as Greg noted, even through a proxy application, the browser will still identify your real IP (and MAC address) to the host. It just won't be displayed, and it takes a little digging to find it inside the raw data packets.

The next level up from standard proxy servers are the applications which do automatic proxy switching, where a different proxy server is used for each and every URL request. Meaning, every page you view on a Web site will look like the request is coming from a different IP address. IP and MAC addresses are hidden with most of these proxy applications, as both the IP and the MAC are virtual.

Beyond that, if you want truly anonymous surfing and other things, you need to be using an encrypted cypherpunk remailers and something like the I2P anonymous network layer, which uses a variety of VPN I2P packeting tunnels and PGP to encrypt all end-to-end communications thereby completely hiding the IP addresses of the sender and the receiver from each other and any third party observers. I have an e-mail server in Norway, for example, where all my e-mails in and out are automatically encrypted through a series of proxies and remailers, which adds an additional layer of security. Regardless of where I post, all my Usenet postings can be traced back only as far as a non-existent Usenet server in Ciudad Juarez. An I2P layer can be set up to encrypt and proxy HTTP, HTTPS, Usenet, Telnet, TCP/IP, IMAP and POP3, file sharing, i.e., all Internet activities. You don't see much written about it in the mainstream (or even the alternative) press, but Wikileaks owes its very existence to the fact that Julian Assange was an early adopter and participant within the Cypherpunk Movement. There's a reason why PGP is classified as a restricted export munition by the US government, and why it is illegal in many countries. It's because PGP and layering networks like I2P provide absolute privacy and anonymity.

If you have a business, using a VPN and a proxy server together isn't overkill, it's actually less secure, as the VPN would have to, by necessity, have holes for the proxy server. VPN allows you through the firewall, but a proxy server would

Camper

Not a Member
If you have a business, using a VPN and a proxy server together isn't overkill, it's actually less secure, as the VPN would have to, by necessity, have holes for the proxy server. VPN allows you through the firewall, but a proxy server would

Most commercial VPNs from what I understand require a proxy server to access the web. The trick is having an IP anonymity program.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most commercial VPNs from what I understand require a proxy server to access the web.
Yeah, but that's either a NAT server which acts as a firewall behind the router, or you can set up a software proxy server if you have a one-computer network (oxymoron, I know). It's not a public proxy server of the type that the off-the shelf anonymizers and proxy routers use, or the Web sites like anonymizer and anonymouse. Those merely spoof the IP, which is fine for most people. Businesses using commercial VPN's will use a dedicated proxy server for that purpose, usually in-house where they can have absolute control over it, but not always. The proxy server will usually be set up as the NAT server, but also as a cache server.

The trick is having an IP anonymity program.
But IP anonymity programs are less than worthless behind a NAT server, and you can't use one on the NAT (proxy) server itself without having gaping holes in the firewall (four specific ports in particular), otherwise no one behind the NAT server could access the Web at all, as the proxy server would return the spoofed IP addresses to the NAT server, and it wouldn't have a clue where to send the packets. You'd have to open several ports for the proxy server to allow the VPN, which would create an inherent security risk. You can use IP masking to secure things up, but that wouldn't work if anyone accessing the server via VPN were using dynamic IP addresses, especially ones through IP proxies. The only way to use VPN and IP proxies with a NAT server is to move everything from the NAT server through an I2P tunneling network (which is pretty much how the hacker group Anonymous does things, actually). It's a lot of trouble for little gain over the either/or option, unless you want to truly hide from everyone, customers included. But even then you really have to know what you're doing to set something like that up. It's certainly doable (I had an FTP site set up behind just such a configuration where it could be remotely administered, and had hard-coded IP masking for additional secure access), but it's not commonly done (except for terrorists, evil hackers, and, of course, software pirates).

Camper

Not a Member
Good to know, especially regarding the use of a 12P tunneling network which I haven't thought of. That, as you said probably would be a lot of effort for little gain though.