Pros/cons expedite vs. traditional OTR

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
I've doing my research and am most likely leaning toward expedite, but I've realized i don't think I ever asked straight out the pros and cons on expedite vs. OTR. I am a CDL driver/hazmat, I would want to go solo, no major hometime issues, - everthing clean such as driving record, no criminal, no drugs, etc... but I did just graduate from CDL school if that is a factor. Thanks for your help.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Being a solo driver in Expedite is the hardest way to make it. You did not say what area of the country you are from and that makes a huge difference to which company you will choose. You also did not say if you will be looking to purchase a truck or going to work for an owner which I would suggest you do first. One of the hardest parts for at OTR driver is to get used to the down time. We are a hurry up and wait type group and that does take some getting used to. Can you give us a little more background and also a little more on what your expectations are?

driverdog

Seasoned Expediter
Hey team, thanks for answering my post. Here is more info: I live in the Chicago area, and since I'm just starting out I'd be driving for someone else. I'm probably going towards straight truck vs. t/t. I do have hazmat. The downtime is ok by me allowing me time to work on hobbies/interests. My only concern is that at the end of thw week I still come out ok paywise ( at least 700/week after any expenses I might have to pay). Actually the downtime is why I am leaning towards Expedite vs. OTR traditional. Though when I get a load I do love to drive and williong to drive hard. I know things can flucuate between weeks but as long as it averages out to the at least 700/week after expenses over the month. Thanks again.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Dog

The hardest thing that OTR drivers or 40 Hour per week workers is the expedite routine. OTR employed drivers may earn 40 cents mile for 3000 miles, or $1200 during a very busy but good week. Expediters in a straight truck might earn 40% of an average $2.00 per loaded mile (80 cents) for an average 1400 mile week, or about $1100. The biggest difference being the amount of miles and the time driving. You can easily see that an expedited driver has a lot of time off compared to an OTR driver, BUT most of that time will neot be at hom,e in Chicago enjoying friends and family, but on the road, laying over waiting for that next load.

Another large diffrence is that the OTR driver is commonly an employee of a carrier and receives benefits above and beyond the milage revenue ie, health care Social Security taxes partially paid by employer, and some bonuses. An expediter is usually paid as an independent contractor and has no benefits such as health care.

OTR employee drivers are expected to work at least 50 weeks per year and seldom get home when desired or required. Owner Operators are independent contractors leased to expedite carriers and they accept or reject work offers based on their lease agreement and personal requirements. A week off every month is not viewed negatively by their carrier.

An inexperienced expediter should hope to get the necessary experience by signing on with a co-driver of an owner/operator or another expedite driver. There are not a whole lot of owners that would rush forward to give you the keys to a $100,000+ truck so that you may have a job. Good luck with your search and while you attempt to glean some more info from this website, check the classifieds for folks looking for co-drivers, talk to them all and you just might find the right fit for your working requirements.

Reactions: 1 person