Properly Securing Your Freight: A Matter of Life or Death

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Very sad. Yes, it can be life and death. It can also be a source of additional jobs and revenue. Do a really good job securing the freight and it's possible the shipper and/or the receiver will notice and request you handle their loads in the future. It happened for both myself and one of my teams on multiple occasions.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when looking at a load it is like thinking how are you going to paint a picture
find points to secure the load to
how I did it when I had my straight trucks was make a x front and back, then take a tie down and connect in middle, so it would not move forward or side to side
if you prepare it right before you go down the road you only have to check only to tight it up
when i had the rollers in my sprinter only had to make sure it didn't roll back and force
because if you didn't do it right be like water rolling back and force
found out first time, you learn so much by accident

Reactions: RoadTime

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
when looking at a load it is like thinking how are you going to paint a picture
find points to secure the load to
how I did it when I had my straight trucks was make a x front and back, then take a tie down and connect in middle, so it would not move forward or side to side
if you prepare it right before you go down the road you only have to check only to tight it up
when i had the rollers in my sprinter only had to make sure it didn't roll back and force
because if you didn't do it right be like water rolling back and force
found out first time, you learn so much by accident
Hopefully you didn't have one.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Reminds me of a expediter I met on a dock one time. (Not our company).He explained this was his second truck. His first truck was totaled because a "stupid" fork lift driver only put a 2K skid on the tail. That skid proceded forward at the first traffic light and wound up in the cab beside him. He was still blaming the fork lift driver.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't suppose a headache rack would have helped much, if he had one, once the bundle of pipe got some momentum. A headboard on the trailer probably would have prevented the bundle of pipe from moving forward if it was loaded directly against it. I don't see many flats with OEM headboards any more.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you keep load from moving any way that half of battle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
if you keep load from moving any way that half of battle
I agree! More than half the battle. Being that these pipes were bundled, if 2 straps or chains were crossed from the rub rails across the front of the load, maybe the load would not have penetrated the tractor. Maybe?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
funny-truck-accident-Inertia.jpg