Promaster Volens Curtain-Side Cargo Van Trucks

PromasterMaster

New Recruit
Industry Supplier
Hello all!

First post & new to the forums. We're the largest Promaster dealership in the nation and work directly with Volens/Wingstar to produce curtain-side cargo vans equipped with above-cab sleepers, air-ride suspension, and backup cameras.

My reason for posting is to help spread the word of just how profitable and versatile these vans can be! With sub-10,000lb GVWR, no E-Log requirements, unmatched payload, and ease of use, these vans are excellent solutions for expediting.

Located in Chardon, OH, Junction Auto Sales can help you every step of the way.

For more specific help, please contact me directly.

All the best,

Reactions: SimpleTrucker.com

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First Welcome to EO..
2nd please post your add in Classified section .

3rd .. 12 to 14 mpg is not a Profitable Expedite van in todays " Rate " market ... In My Opinion

4th .. Very few smart Van owners /drivers want to Sleep in the Over Head COFFIN Sleeper.

5th any Long & Tall extended Sprinter "type " Van's priced over $38,000... is Over Priced for the Expedite use . In My Opinion..

And I have talked to several dozen Owner/Drivers of Promaster/Transit /Sprinter types converted to your style of van . NONE could give me enough Positive Feedback that I would ever think about purchasing one .

" LOAD 1 "

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First Welcome to EO..
2nd please post your add in Classified section .

3rd .. 12 to 14 mpg is not a Profitable Expedite van in todays " Rate " market ... In My Opinion

4th .. Very few smart Van owners /drivers want to Sleep in the Over Head COFFIN Sleeper.

5th any Long & Tall extended Sprinter "type " Van's priced over $38,000... is Over Priced for the Expedite use . In My Opinion..

And I have talked to several dozen Owner/Drivers of Promaster/Transit /Sprinter types converted to your style of van . NONE could give me enough Positive Feedback that I would ever think about purchasing one .

" LOAD 1 "
The funny thing is, after driving a Promaster 500k miles you bought another one...and still said that... :laughing:

JustAnAverageJoe

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
US Army
I must be the type that enjoys overhead coffins. The solution seems ideal to me. I need a roof fairing to achieve better fuel economy AND, I need a sleeper so I can enhance my bank account's economy and stay out of motels. The Volens, Lamar, Pony Fantasy, Kuda Automotive and other similar above-cab sleepers seem ideal to solve both problems. But, since I already own and am heavily invested in a truck that I don't want to give up, I'm not interested in the entire RAM ProMasters mentioned above. I JUST want the sleeper! I've put too much of my own time, money and effort / blood, sweat and tears to give up on it. I probably won't ever get another rig until the one I have now breaks down beyond all hope of repair. And even though it's "old", being a 2000 year model, it has just over 103,000 miles on it - the last 10,000 I put on myself - and for a Diesel, in terms of engine life, 103,000 is still very "young". So, I don't need or want the Sprinter van, but I DO very, very much want the sleeper box, pod, cab topper or whatever you want to call it! And I KNOW it can be modified/adapted/retrofit to fit the truck/van I own, because I've seen examples of it on the internet. I own a Chevy Express G3500 DRW Diesel Cutaway box truck with a max GVW of 10,000 because it's the largest truck I will ever be able to legally drive for commercial purposes. Why? Long story. Short version: I cannot obtain a DOT Medical Card, therefore I cannot drive trucks over 10,000 GVW and can't even dream about getting a CDL and driving trucks over 26,000 GVW. So for me, a small box truck it is, and all I'll ever be able to have. But, I'm not letting that stop me from pursuing the "life of a trucker" as much as it is possible. But, my vehicle "as is" when I purchased it, was not designed for long-haul OTR, and yet that's exactly what I'm doing, what I want to do, and what I dreamed of doing ever since I was a kid. So... being human... and because I practically live in my truck... I need things! A sleeper is now #1 on my list. And soon, I plan to tear out the passenger seat and install a small "bar" with a smooth countertop for food preparation and a place to use my laptop computer and keep the All-In-One printer I use for printing BOLs, etc. Underneath the countertop, I want to install a small 12V microwave and a small refrigerator. Underneath that, I plan to have an array of 12v or 6v deep cycle batteries with an inverter to run all of the above and more. Yes, I COULD build a sleeper in the cargo box. My truck being a cutaway with a pass-thru door makes that very possible. But, in my opinion, that would be a needless sacrifice of cargo space given there are other options. So, I NEED the "Coffin" above my cab! I just don't know how to go about getting one! I haven't found a single U.S. manufacturer or distributor/reseller that carries any. These are VERY common in the U.K. and all throughout Europe in general, but here in the U.S.? So far, I haven't found any supplier for such things. So... I'm hoping someone here on this site, and since they are a topic of discussion in this thread, perhaps someone participating in this thread, might know where/how I can get one.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Call Junction Dodge in Chardon, Ohio, who outfits those curtainside Promasters with those fuselage things on the cab roof. Synergy also makes them. So, farting while in one of those tiny sleepers can be deadly...lol..what is done for heat/ac up there? I just shake my head at the sight of those things .seen them on a day cab straight truck as well.. I have a SRW Ford econoline 12, and love it. Been the best roomy, comfortable van I've had. Resizer_16396120003513.jpgResizer_16396120003510.jpg

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Router it and put in glow in the dark epoxy.
As good of an idea as that is, I don't think I can lay on the bed in there at night, with numbers glowing at me...lol..but you did give me a good idea, use a router to make the numbers, than fill in those number grooves with blue expoxy...than cover the whole sanded floor with the stuff I already bought. Thank you!

My freind still has the van in his shop ..lol...I hope that he is done with going over it mechanically by the end of next week..at least it has been kept in the heat, and out of the weather for the last 2 months...lol.

P8T

New Recruit
Researching
Hi I'm looking to get into the expeditors lane as an owner-operate. Does anyone know where to purchase a starter cargo van or box truck?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You could always put paint into select etrack holes and have a chart so you know paint is at 36", 44", 48", 54", 66", 80" whatever and then when you want to set at 54" you count 4 paint spots, 80" count 6 etc.. The paint won't be scuffed off by freight sliding in/out etc..

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anyone have pics of a curtain-side van to post? Still trying to see what they look like.

Mr. Loyalty.

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Really no security for freight, nothing a razor blade knife can't stop...as far as the sleeper is concerned, nothing like feeling like a gerbil in a habitrail. Even if I was skinny, I would never own one of these..these are so common now, because of the light empty weight, and the cheap cost. Well, the one I pictured is a solid wall van body. Picture this, but only made out of grey tarp material.
Resizer_16424610360980.jpgResizer_16424610360981.jpgResizer_16424610360982.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: T270_Dreamin

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
You would have to be rail thin AND not afraid of small enclosures.....to sleep in that berth.....and never fart in it either.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't sleep in one of these unless it had the roof top window opening like this one. Much better design here by Lamar. Synergy upfit also quoted me $5500 for the sleeper pictured on the promaster and $13500 for the cargo box! Screenshot_20220115-093253_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: