Professionalism and Appearance

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We all keep fussing about the lack of freight, the low rates, the company doesn't "care" about the O/O etc. etc.
We did a swap a few days ago that required the use of our lift gate. It was in Chicago, east of 94 so low clearances may be a problem. Since we'd never been to this particular location before, we called the local police department to verify that our route was ok. Turns out, it was not,since a 13'5" trestle would have gummed up the works for us real quick. We were given an alternate route and off we went. We arrived early so that we could scope out the terrain and we waited for the other truck. The swap time came an went, and we get a call from dispatch asking how we got to the swap location? The other truck was lost, and couldn't find a way around the low clearances. That is unprofessional.

Anyway, the truck arrives about an hour late, and when the driver got out of the truck I was flabbergasted. This mans clothing was FILTHY, he looked as if he had not showered in quite a while and he smelled like a wet hound.

Yes, we have a job that sometimes requires us to get a little dirty and I'm not saying that you can always be freshly showered at pickup or delivery, but there was NO EXCUSE for that.
This may be harsh, but that kind of thing drives me CRAZY!!! If I were paying for our services, I sure wouldn't call the company back after seeing/smelling that!!

I think we should all step it up. Take a little more pride in what we do. Show the customers that they are getting a better class of driver/businessman/company. More bang for the buck and it doesn't cost us a thing.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree with you. Even more so in Panther's case since they are dropping the hammer on the hobby expediters.
It amazes me that many don't realize they have on site reps watching trucks as they leave and enter a site.
Some (not all), might want to ponder that thought for awhile.
Additionally, if I got a call from a decent broker and I don't have a truck there or just can't cover it, Panther is my first call. I don't want Panther sending some undesirable to pick up that load.
So far it has never happened, but I do make a point to mention it. I don't want my relationship damaged anymore than Panther would.

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
It’s not just the driver either it’s the truck after reading some of the qc messages it seems that some are skimping on maintenance and having breakdowns. And yes even a well maintained truck can break down. But if your truck looks like a rolling breakdown and you do have one while under a load and the load is late because of it do you think that shipper will call Panther/you back? Again we all have seen those trucks tractors and straights it’s not so much of an issue with the vans. Bungee cords holding the hood down etc