professional occupation or no?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It really does come down to the consideration- good professional or bad? Look at the CEO of Enron:7 The word professional has a lot of shades of gray. Or is it grey?:eek:
-Weave-

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
A-team brought up a good point. Is it possible to be an unprofessional professional? I would argue yes. I'll give the driver his nightly leak on the tires, but that's going to the ex"stream". ;-)
Unprofessional truckers are what give us the stereotype that we're the trailer-trash (no pun intended that time) of society. For the most part, who could disagree? I've walked behind truckers at the plazas with stench so disgusting I had to run to the door for some fresh air. Other examples are hit-and-run drivers (come on... you don't REALLY have 3 million miles without an accident, do you?), urine-bottle tossing at 65mph, and my favorite: a short-sleeved shirt 3 sizes too small for their beer gut <shudder> :eek:
Overall, I think expediters have a better reputation than OTR truckers, but some are slipping through the cracks and into our ranks. Now, I don't want to start a tire-thumper war, so I won't confront anyone about their unprofessionalism. But maybe a friendly call to the contractor relations person at said pig's company would be warranted. It's our job to clean up our own. The next odorous neanderthaal could cost your company a contract, which would come out of your pocket in the long run. So, to all those unprofessional professionals, all I can say is... Smell ya later :7

T-hawk

raceman

Veteran Expediter
THawk, Sometimes you come across as a poet. Your examples are so very true. I am one that does not much concern myself with what others think of my dress but we must all face it a first impression is a lasting one.So I always try to be dresses decent and smell clean when anyone sees me. I have seen truckers come into get coffee or pay for fuel and it looks like they have been living in a hole. No running water, no soap not even a wet wipe. I can go a few day without food, I can even go without pay but I can not go one day without brushing my teeth and showering. How do they do it? It seems so easy to get a free shower when you fuel and if you simply manage your time that is not a problem for much more than two days at most. When I ran team, I did that with two different drivers and I would have to beg them to shower. What makes someone get to a point where they do not want to be clean for themselves. I come from the office world. Even growing up with a father who was a plumbing contractor and Uncle and brother in law in the trucking business I still learned to be clean. When I tell those old office folks of my trucking business they all say how can you be in a such a gross dirty business. That is what they think truckers are. Gross and dirty. I hear people say "she had a mouth like a trucker" "he looked like he was living out of a truck" People that think that is what we are, are the same people that would say we are not professionals. We are professionals and I just do not understand why so many of us do not conduct ourselves that way. I met with one of my drivers on Friday and the first words out of his mouth were "I am sorry I look like I do" He had not been able to shower in two days. First of all, at what he thought was his worst was better than some of these guys at thier best. He knows I like my drivers looking clean and professional. It concerned him. THAWK, I am with you turn these dirty, smelly unprofessioanls in. Let's look like we care. lets think of those seeing us and smelling us. When we do that then we are professionals. When we don't we are no more than dirty truck drivers.

RaceMan

---Why Hug a tree when you can sit on a Diesle---

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Years ago I worked part time in a gas station while going to school. The station owner instructed me to accept checks from people wearing suits and reject checks from others. While that struck me as strange, it showed me how much stock some people place in the appearance of others. That stock makes a difference too. It's the difference on how you may be treated at a retail counter, or in a customer service line, or in line at a Freightliner dealer when you need an emergency repair. For that reason, Diane and I wear polo shirts instead of T-shirts when we're out and about and not in uniform; and something more upscale than tennis shoes on our feet. The blue jeans we wear are clean and in good repair.

Thank goodness for blue jeans! If Levi Straus has not yet been cannonized (made a Saint), he should be! That is a product that truly has stood the test of time.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
A-Team, You are 100% accurate. I have to tell you I wear nice shoes, Blue Jeans and a button down blue shirt. That is just my uniform. I tried extremely hard to get someone icluding Freightliner to do a short notice valve adjustment on one of my trucks yesterday. I had even touched up the old beard. They were having nothing to do with that short notice valve adjustment. Dressed pretty well and money in hand it made no difference. :) Just stating the facts. 99% of the time your statements are correct but I think when it is close to Christmas and those guys would prefer not to work to hard the last few days, nothing was making an impression at that point. :) :) :)RaceMan

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm not saying dressing well makes a difference all the time. If only it was that simple to get prompt service at all Freightliner dealers. But dressing well takes no more effort than dressing poorly. Why not give yourself the advantage dressing well provides?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
A-Team, I agree with you. I was just making a joke. You would not believe all the begging and gift offering I did trying to get these guys to do a valve adjustment. It had me mad a one point and when I look back at it I have to laugh. When I read your note I was just picturing myself in a nice suit some wingtips and so on and these guys still having none of it. I was not disagreeing just telling a little story of my luck yesterday. :)

RaceMan

Preacher

Expert Expediter
I take a shower once a week, whether I need it or not!... JUST KIDDING!

When I was interviewing drivers at the Flying Hook, I was amazed at how bad some guys looked, how bad they smelled, and how obese some were. Some were so fat I can't believe they can pass the DOT physical requirements for blood pressure levels. By the way some looked I couldn't even imagine them having enough brains to spell their name, let alone get a CDL and operate a truck with all the paperwork requirements. I also noticed that the dirty fat slobs were always the ones complaining about not making any money and being broke. Could there be any connection? So far, the drivers I have met in the expedite industry have all pretty much looked and acted professional. I have also met some really great OTR drivers who DO care about their image. Personally I want to have every advantage I can get to ensure my success. While I know it's not always possible to shower and look your best everyday while on the road, sometines just a simple change of clean clothes that aren't all torn-up and 30 years out of fasion, along with washing your face and brushing your teeth, can make a world of difference.

Like I said before, we are buisiness people first and truck drivers second. Let's all try to look that way and keep the word professional in the term "professional driver".

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Ya know... sometimes I wonder if the dirty truckers keep the funk so the dock ppl will get them loaded/unloaded sooner. I can imagine one going home to the wife... "Gladys... runs me a hot barth. I've beena putrid fer 7 weeks n 7 days. But lets eat first."

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Preacher... hate to say it, but you're 1/3 wrong. You can wash away dirt, but I don't see many Jenny Craigs on the road, so you can't really jump on the bigguns. Besides... they know the best places to eat ;-)

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Tennessee, they may know all the good places to eat but they don't have to eat everthing in the buffet line. It is important to get exercise while on the road. Walking is the best and cheapest exercise routine you can do. Only 30 minutes a day at a brisk pace will give you great results. At 6'1" - 220lbs I'm no skinny runt myself, but I watch what I eat and try not to eat all the greasy stuff. If I have a choice between fried chicken or grilled, I'll eat the grilled. Too many guys look like heart attacks waiting to happen. And even if someone is heavy, they don't have to buy clothes that look like they're tying to stuff 10lbs of potatoes in a 5lb sack. Proper fitting clothes do wonders for one's appearance.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Come on, Preacher... now you're preachin. You're going after something that may not be an option. But even to the ones where it is an option, I'm not going to walk up to them and start taking stuff off of their plate till just the peas and carrots are left. That is their business. Only thing that would affect me is their flatulence, and I'm sad to say I have that problem too :+

You are right about one thing... proper fitting clothes. I thought the mumu fit Homer Simpson better than his t-shirt :7

But honestly, if you're not a health nut, why would you want to graze on all those healthy grains and such. I'll take mac n cheese anyday. Throw in some greasy salisbury steak and a ton liter of DrPepper. If my metabolism weren't as high as it is, I'd be one of the fat guys you're talking about. And why live if you're not livin?

T-hawk

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Hey, I like my McD double cheese w/fries as much as the next guy, I'm just saying that some moderation is a healtier choice. And I'm not goin' around advocating that everyone should eat all sorts of fruits and grains, I'll leave that to the tree huggers out on the west coast. But I'd rather eat a juicey, lean, charbroiled steak with a big baked potato, than a chicken fried steak smothered in gravy along side of fried potatoes. The broiled steak is healthier for you.

I want to live life just as happy and free as anybody. But laying in a hospital bed recovering from bypass surgery is not my idea of livin'. I just got re-married a couple of years ago to a woman that God truely blessed me with. I certainly don't deserve her, but I want to live life as long as possible and for us grow old together.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Hey preach, be careful what you say you don't deserve. You do have a devine right you know. :) As for the fruits and grains a very serious health problem three years ago forced me to eat only that and let me tell you once you screw up the right things in your body you can remain a good sized fellow just eating that stuff. I call em weeds and seeds. It keeps me alive but I wish my Drs would explain to me why the hell I can not drop a pound. Now I am just a big SOB to begin with but sence my guts stopped working, well I am told I have to live with it. I sure do agree with you and Hawk though. I mentioned in an earlier post about one of team drivers. Not only would he not shower but he would not pass up anything anywhere when came to chewing swallowing. Wow! What a fat a@#. Someone needs to learn the moderation talk. :)RaceMan

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Hey RaceMan! Weeds and seeds! LOLOLOL!! I haven't heard that one before!

Hey, some guys have medical issues that cause `em to balloon up in weight. I can perfectly understand that. Had a friend go on medication that caused him to gain 100lbs in 3-4 months, but cases like that are not very common. Most guys are overweight because they have poor eating habits and they can't put the fork down. I had another friend I worked with who was 6'6" and weighed in at around 400lbs. A couple of times a week we'd go to the all-you-can-eat-fried-chicken place around the corner for lunch. The ladies that worked there would shake their heads when they saw him coming. He could strip the chicken off the bone with one bite in a split second! He'd leave a plate of bones stacked over foot high. They finally told him he couldn't eat there any more!

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I hear you. There is a motel here near Cincinnati and it used to have a great Buffet years ago. The Bengals used to go there at some point during the week and clean them out. It was all you could eat. The rumor is that it stopped because of them. That team driver I refered to used to come away from the buffet at the hook with three plates at a time. He would pull into a truck stop saying he needed to eat inorder to stay awake while driving. Sometimes he would get a Bag of donuts and he would chase them with cans of pop. It was unreal. Now his big a#$ was made one bite at a time. He had an odor that would knock you right out of the seat when he would raise the flap to the sleeper. If he closed that thing for three or four hours in a row and then opened it, I kid you not it would almost cause you to wreck when it hit your nose.RaceMan

Preacher

Expert Expediter
LOLOLOL!!!! Sounds like another friend I had that weight over 400lbs. If they asked him to haul a*s, it took him 2 trips! The funny thing is, he used to ride a Sportster. That was quite a sight to behold!

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Now there was a picture I could have done without. You are killing me. I am with you being overweight does not always bother me but those guys that just stuff their face because they were not hugged enough as a child, Wow! Its too much. Drink a water. Fat a@# on a motorcycle is always a laugh, always. It is like the falling down clips on Home videos. It just kills me.RaceMan

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Sorry RaceMan! Maybe a little TMI (too much information). So I guess I won't get on the subject of flatulence. That's for another thread on another day!

Well, I gotta get out of here for a while and go to the store. My better half was in Oklahoma City at a business conference and I've been doin' a few things around the house so she doesn't think I'm a total heathen. She just called to say she was on the way home, so I guess I'll go pick us up something to eat. Hmmmm...let me see now...sprouts, 7 grain bread, lettuce, sunflower seeds, carrots, tofu....Oh forget that, sounds like too much effort. I think I'll get a box of fried chicken and mashed potatoes with biscuits!

Have a great one!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
According to the federal government trucking is classified as unskilled labor. Go figure.
Davekc