Premium or regular Diesel?

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I know that there is #1 and #2 diesel. You use #2 except in really really cold where you need #1. I have never run #1 in 10 years almost and 690k miles.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can't answer that, but I do know that In & Il use a higher % of bio in diesel, which makes it gel at higher temps, so keep that in mind when fueling in the winter. [Use extra antigel!]

Deville

Not a Member
I can't answer that, but I do know that In & Il use a higher % of bio in diesel, which makes it gel at higher temps, so keep that in mind when fueling in the winter. [Use extra antigel!]

With the extended amount of time we spend in the bitter cold with high wind chills this year I was happily surprised that I didn't have any gelling issues as I wasn't using an additive on a regular basis.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
#1 diesel is basically kerosene. K-1 Kerosene, #1 diesel, and jet fuel (JP4) are very closely related to each other, so closely that they can be interchangeable in most situations. #1 and JP4 have higher allowable sulfur than K-1. #1 diesel and K-1 have lower energy content (about 5%) than #2 diesel (and JP4) and is slightly more expensive. However, #1 diesel and kerosene does not gel like #2 diesel because the paraffin (wax) has been removed from the fuel. While this keeps the fuel flowing in cold weather, paraffin is an important lubricating compound found in #2 diesel.

Premium diesel is #2 diesel with a higher cetane number (usually a minimum of 51), increased lubricity, detergents that will clean injectors, and will also control and expel moisture from the fuel (demulsifiers), as well as corrosion inhibitors to prevent corrosion in the fuel pump.

I use premium diesel when I can find it, especially BP, Shell and Chevron branded diesel. Otherwise I'll use Power Service to increase the cetane, and Howes Meaner Cleaner to keep the injectors clean.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Gotta love them pumps with the sticker...."This may contain 5% to 20% Bio".....that is a big swing!! Too bad the government in all its glory couldn't make them narrow that down like gasoline 87 octane 89 octane and soforth....

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Gotta love them pumps with the sticker...."This may contain 5% to 20% Bio".....that is a big swing!! Too bad the government in all its glory couldn't make them narrow that down like gasoline 87 octane 89 octane and soforth....

seriously, the government swings more than most.........narrowed down, maybe between 20-50% most times when they're spending our money!

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
Oh come on now I just read in the paper today that since bama took office he claims to have saved 1.8 billion $$ in cutting back emissions?!?!?(and probably costs 10Billions $$ in big rigs & Sprinter repairs due to all the emission crap that had to be added)
He could probably double that amount if they (him & the missus) would quit jetting around the world every week!

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh come on now I just read in the paper today that since bama took office he claims to have saved 1.8 billion $$ in cutting back emissions?!?!?(and probably costs 10Billions $$ in big rigs & Sprinter repairs due to all the emission crap that had to be added)
He could probably double that amount if they (him & the missus) would quit jetting around the world every week!

The emission rules came in under Bush I believe, not Obama...