Post mortem on Atlanta's icy gridlock.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
I've been following the news reporting on the nightmarish traffic debacle happening in and around Atlanta, Georgia. Snow and ice moved into the area yesterday( Tuesday) around noon causing traffic snarls for many thousands of travelers. Now, 24 hours after the onset of snow, thousands of motorists spent the night in their cars on the highways, unable to proceed as traffic came to a stop. Thousands are currently still stuck on the highways.

Kids were stuck on schoolbuses. Some kids were returned to schools for the night. Emergency personnel had great difficulty reaching motorists in need of help. In a metropolitan area of several million, 2 inches of snow crippled the city. Why?

The Governor of Georgia and the Mayor of Atlanta owe the public an explanation as to why there was a failure to implement basic, rudimentary precautions commonly practiced when armed with knowledge that a winter storm is approaching. No elected official seems willing to step up and accept responsibility. This wasn't Hurricane Katrina. It was 2 inches of snow.

The motoring public didn't necessarily acquit themselves with honor, either.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
This wasn't Hurricane Katrina. It was 2 inches of snow............

It wasn't "SNOW".......it was ICE.

Huge Difference....................

Atlanta............just as the DFW area..........is not Equipped to handle MAJOR ICE Storms. We may get a City Crippling ICE Storm maybe once or twice a year.......so it is not really Economically Feasible to equip our Cities with ICE fighting materials and equipment.

So what if the City of Atlanta got shut down over this......It just happened Yesterday. The DFW area was shut down Thursday thru Sunday / Monday just a few weeks ago due to an ICE Storm. People (Truckers)sat on our Freeways and Interstates for 48 to 72 hours over it too..............and WE SURVIVED.

Atlanta's Temperature is Shooting UP as I type this..........

It is now in the 40's...........

By 10PM tonight it is going to be in the 60's...............

7AM in the Morning in the 70's.................

My Gawd...................POOR POOR Atlanta!!!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Atlanta had snow not ice the roads started iceing from melting on the roads and its going to be 16 degrees tonight.

1391025420519.jpg

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it was a snow event in Atlanta. The untreated snowfall on highways became compacted into icy patches as cars pressed on. A hard freeze set in overnight. Melt, refreeze. Normal salting and plowing would have been an enormous help. Atlanta isn't Miami. Atlanta gets snow. Atlanta should have been ready at least at a minimal level, but wasn't. The taxpayers have been poorly served.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Atlanta had snow not ice the roads started iceing from melting on the roads and its going to be 16 degrees tonight.

View attachment 8444

Wow...........Nevermind...............

That's a Far Cry from the 5 Day Forecast that I ran across earlier!!!

Still.............It is a Weather Related issue...........and some people want others EXECUTED cause they had to sit on an ICY road for a day or 2.

Instead of the Gimme Gimme Gimme attitude most Atlantans have............it is now Woe Is Me. Wonder how much they'll want from Obawa this time.................

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Atlanta has a whole 30 spreaders 40 plows in ATL popper. The storm started as sleet followed by two+ inches of snow. The roads turned to garage quickly last night and worsened through late morning this morning. Between all the abandoned cars and spun out/parked trucks travel this morning was at best treacherous inside 285. What assets Atlanta had were stuck in the mess with the rest of us and unable to return to the salt/sand stockpiles. ATL had message boards lit alerting travelers of conditions and stating trucks needed to chain up. Had law enforcement actually enforced chaining by parking those that couldn't our wouldn't chain up the situation would have been considerably better. The benefit would have been two fold, the chained trucks would have chewed up the ice facilitating melting and provided "some" traction to fellow motorists.

Before I get asked for the source of the info it was from national news sources available on any smart phone and from personally witnessing and traveling through the mess that is known as Atlanta.

And yes, I used my chains, thank you On-Spot. Your product is what kept us moving. We are now safely parked at our delivery even though they happen to be closed.

uploadfromtaptalk1391025398657.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They did not make chains mandatory only recommended it so they couldn't really do anything to those that did not.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I had a choice yesterday to go south or north from Baltimore. After checking the weather forecast I chose North to Scranton, PA. It is very cold here but the roads are clear and the sun is shining.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Really now how many vehicles in Atlanta have chains ? I'm in Ohio and I don't own Em I just park if I have to no load is worth my truck!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ironically, the home of The Weather Channel is, ta-da! Atlanta.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
They did not make chains mandatory only recommended it so they couldn't really do anything to those that did not.

True they were not made "mandatory", but in the interest of public safety they could have done whatever they pleased given that a state of emergency was issued. And I don't care to hear the tired argument of interfering with interstate commerce because it won't hold up. They ended up closing I-75 N due to conditions and wrecks and if anything interferes with interstate commerce shutting down an interstate would top the list, and they did it. No state will apologize for doing what they see to be for the good public safety...ya know..."better safe than sorry " or " there is no telling how many lives/accidents were saved/avoided". Most trucks should be carrying chains being that chain laws vary state to state, whether one plans to use them or not they should be carried.

For those that say "if it's that bad I'll stop driving" remember there isn't always a place for you to safely get off the road and when you're on the shoulder for an extended time you become part of the problem. If you have chains and know how to use them you can reduce your exposure to an accident and get off the road with confidence. Chains are CHEAP compared to a tow bill or a body shop bill.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True they were not made "mandatory", but in the interest of public safety they could have done whatever they pleased given that a state of emergency was issued. And I don't care to hear the tired argument of interfering with interstate commerce because it won't hold up. They ended up closing I-75 N due to conditions and wrecks and if anything interferes with interstate commerce shutting down an interstate would top the list, and they did it. No state will apologize for doing what they see to be for the good public safety...ya know..."better safe than sorry " or " there is no telling how many lives/accidents were saved/avoided". Most trucks should be carrying chains being that chain laws vary state to state, whether one plans to use them or not they should be carried.

For those that say "if it's that bad I'll stop driving" remember there isn't always a place for you to safely get off the road and when you're on the shoulder for an extended time you become part of the problem. If you have chains and know how to use them you can reduce your exposure to an accident and get off the road with confidence. Chains are CHEAP compared to a tow bill or a body shop bill.

And where are the nice, wide, safe chain up areas in the Atlanta area located? :confused: It would NOT be safe to pull off on those narrow shoulders and chain up. IF you could make it to a rest stop, just stay there, it's safer. Your truck may be chained but it would likely be one of very few. Your truck may move, just in time to get hit by all the other vehicles that are playing demolition derby on icy Atlanta roads.

The area is not equipped to handle the weather, neither are most who live there. Even those who are experienced in winter driving have problems on ice. Other than trucks there is likely almost no cars in the area equipped with chains. It was a lose lose.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

They do have a chain law on the books they just didn't take advantage of it.

zorry

Veteran Expediter

If they started nailing people for no chains, they'd have enough money to fix a few roads.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Why do we care. by July, we will have forgotten all about this travesty of justice...just saying... Ok, everyone back to the quilting party.

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
And where are the nice, wide, safe chain up areas in the Atlanta area located? :confused: It would NOT be safe to pull off on those narrow shoulders and chain up. IF you could make it to a rest stop, just stay there, it's safer. Your truck may be chained but it would likely be one of very few. Your truck may move, just in time to get hit by all the other vehicles that are playing demolition derby on icy Atlanta roads.

The area is not equipped to handle the weather, neither are most who live there. Even those who are experienced in winter driving have problems on ice. Other than trucks there is likely almost no cars in the area equipped with chains. It was a lose lose.

There are a multitude of wide shoulders along 85 & 75, next time you're passing through the area feel free to open your eyes and then log the mile marker closest to them for future reference. Nobody said you had to chain up both sides of your truck if you're just getting to a safe exit. Chain up the ditch side and enter and exit your truck on the ditch side. If you bought a truck with a differential lock use it. Watch out for those "excuses" of yours they could be proven to be detrimental to your health and or livelihood. 10/15 minutes chaining one side of your truck is FAR safer than hours parked.

The sign stated "Atlanta metro ice conditions exist trucks use chains" yes I'm aware they have one, hence my comment earlier, "had they enforced it". They didn't fail to take advantage of it, they failed to enforce it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did you read the law you can use chains as long as you don't destroy the highway surface! And who makes that determination the state trooper that right to the ticket?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can you imagine those Atlanta idiots with chains are already stupid enough They are spinning out all over when it's raining for crying out loud