Possible Dumb Question - Overweight Van?

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
Ok,

This might be a dumb question, but I've been told that the only dumb questions are the ones not asked.

What would happen if you had a cargo van that had say a 9000gvw and you took a load that makes your van weigh 9999lbs. As long as it's done safely (can it be?) how would one get in any trouble for this as vans are not required to stop at weigh stations?

Also, if you put overload springs on your van and things are beefed up to take the extra weight, as long as you don't go over 10k, is this OK?

Just wondering. Not planning anything..

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
The entire drive train would have to withstand the added stress. Can the vehicle also stop the load? A lot goes into designing a vehicle to handle the load that it is rated for.

As for law enforcement. There are still a couple places that require vans to scale (like Florida). And dot can stop a van for inspection and send you to a scale if they see the need. I get pulled over an average of once every two months.

In spite of this there are still those who swear by running overloaded. The odds of premature wear, major breakdown, or run-in with the authorities is not on their side.

eb

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
EB has it right IMO...

A DOT can pull over ANY vehicle if they so chose....their job is highway safety even miskept cars.

I've known many that have put in an extra leaf spring to support the weight so the back end doesn't droop..that doesn't make it right..
but as EB stated there is much more wrong with being overweight...

That over weight load may get you the odd extra load but if you are paying the repairs, over time it will probably cost you more then you made hauling it.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
some states you have to go across the scales like Alabama also require a log book, and Indiana pulled me over once to go across a set of portables on 40 near Richmond.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
some states you have to go across the scales like Alabama also require a log book, and Indiana pulled me over once to go across a set of portables on 40 near Richmond.

all this time, I have NEVER crossed the scales in Ala...nor logged...I log everywhere when I have hazmat on board.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If you were to get in an accident and found to be overloaded, the DOT will be the least of your problems.....

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
all this time, I have NEVER crossed the scales in Ala...nor logged...I log everywhere when I have hazmat on board.

When I was leased to PTL they had a van that was shut down in Alabama for not having a log book. after that John always made sure we had a log book when going into Alabama.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I was leased to PTL they had a van that was shut down in Alabama for not having a log book. after that John always made sure we had a log book when going into Alabama.

Did they pull him over? Chase him because he passed a scale? Just wondering what precipitated the troopers go hang him...

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
Alabama ,there is one DOt officer that would give his wife a ticket if she was breaking the law the only good point he works US 78 birmingham to ms line

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did they pull him over? Chase him because he passed a scale? Just wondering what precipitated the troopers go hang him...

I'm not sure, just that he was shut down at the scales near Huntsville. maybe John will read this and fill us in.

Benzoid

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the input. It was just a general question.

I wasn't sure if there were laws about overloading a Van as long as you stay under 10k

I've seen a lot of non-expediter vans out there big time overloaded. I saw one guy that had his 3/4 ton van full of fence posts (the steel ones with the back doors open) and then had a trailer on it with some sort of backhoe. Even the tires looked like they were half out of air.. I'll bet he was at least at 15-20k lbs.

I also saw a VW Rabbit with a 16 foot flat bed trailer with another rabbit on it. (long time ago). That had to handle funny!

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
The entire drive train would have to withstand the added stress. Can the vehicle also stop the load? A lot goes into designing a vehicle to handle the load that it is rated for.

As for law enforcement. There are still a couple places that require vans to scale (like Florida). And dot can stop a van for inspection and send you to a scale if they see the need. I get pulled over an average of once every two months.

In spite of this there are still those who swear by running overloaded. The odds of premature wear, major breakdown, or run-in with the authorities is not on their side.

eb

So who did you pizzzz off in Florida? Been drivin a cargo van for years and have never been pulled into scale houses in Fl. only go into ag staions there.

breeze

Seasoned Expediter
Just say no to heavy loads. When you haul a load say 4000lbs you are hauling two loads for the price of one.

jw-bama

Seasoned Expediter
alabama doesnt have a set of scales no where around huntsville.the only set they have is georgia/al line on 20. and you dont have to have a log book if your under 10/m lbs.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Look Dude, cut me some slack, I had a bad day. I ended up over in Windsor this evening 'enjoying' some haute fusion cuisine from Vietnam and France, so I being exposed to very bad English of my hosts and very saucy spicy food has done a number on me.

The only three things I recognized were Cha kney, Luc Loc and Banh Mi - who knows what the other stuff was.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
alabama doesnt have a set of scales no where around huntsville.the only set they have is georgia/al line on 20. and you dont have to have a log book if your under 10/m lbs.

Yep your right, but they have weigh in motion scales all over the place, which a officer sits in a shack and watches, then pulls over the offending truck at the closest safe spot, and ther is a set of these on 65 near Huntsville. as for me The safety Guy says log then I log,