PortableApps

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, I'm geeky out this weekend and its going to be a long weekend, so hang tight and I might post something you will like or need. :D

PortableApps.com allows you to carry your favorite computer programs and all of your bookmarks, settings, email and more with you on a portable device (USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive, CD, etc) and use them on any Windows computer.

Here is the link to the site.
SourceForge.net: PortableApps.com: Portable Software/USB: portableapps Project: Platform Download

This is open source software, meaning you don't have to buy, just have to agree with the license agreement at install. :cool:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Interesting, but I do that already for my personal stuff ..... it is one registry change.

I hope that one day Windows will become more like Linux.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Interesting, but I do that already for my personal stuff ..... it is one registry change.

I hope that one day Windows will become more like Linux.

Well, don't hold your breath, because Windows will never be like Linux. The closes thing you will ever finding Windows like Linux is buy using Mac operating system. And that is a far stretch.

For one, Linux doesn't use a registry system. The registry is a big security risk.

There are so many differences in between Linux and Windows, that is why there are window users and there are linux users. Have you ever installed a linux system and used it? If you have, know what I mean. Windows has to dumb down the user interface for common households to actually use it. Not saying a common user could not do it, but most of the time its to complicated for them to even install.

Even up to today, I run into so many people who don't even know the right terminology for the computer systems and parts, but they know how to use Windows. I guess Microsoft go use some of the techniques linux uses, but linux is protected by the open source licenses, which that has been to court already.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You've got to remember that not everyone wants to learn everything there is to know about the internal combustion engine and all of the various components of their car in order to turn the key, put it in gear and step on the gas.

As bizarre as it sounds, most computer users view the computer as a tool to get something done, and not as the ultimate toy to be played with, tinkered with, dominated to fulfill our unfulfilled childhood desires to play with everything we weren't old enough to play with, just for the fun of it.

Linux is what it is because it's a product by nerds for nerds, and it's just not gonna go mainstream unless the mainstream user can use it quickly and easily as a tool.