Please Help

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter
Hey all. Iam new at expediting. I work for Express-1, and just got my first load last week. I went from Indiana to Virginia. I had to layover about 36 hours before I got a load back. I cant afford to lay over for that long. Iam sure that certain companys have certain freight zones where there is more freight than others. How do you know which loads to take and what loads to turn down. I need to keep the wheels turning and understand that this is the slow time of the season. At the same time I have a E350 diesel not the extended version and cant afford to idle because it seems like the 50% advance on the com data cards is just enough to cover gas. Also when I have a load in the back that doesnt deliver to the next day I dont have anywhere to sleep except up front in the drivers seat... Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.:) Looney2

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
knowing where to go and not to go kinda comes with time and seeing different regions do with freight. plus because an area was slow this week doesn't mean it will be slow next week or month. the best thing to do is take notes and remember where the slow spots are.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I hate to be critical, but what in the world did you think you were getting into??????
Apparently you didn't read anything here.
I would wake up and start reading here, and then decide how far away you are from from Express 1 so you can park it.
Based on your post, your expectations are way out in left field.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dave is correct,36 hours for a layover is not unusual in this business. Especially in the slow season. If you need to keep moving in order to survive perhaps you need to look at doing something else. There exists auxillary heaters for vans starting at about $50 for a small catalytic heater up to generator rigs with electric heater or even more elaborate systems.

Many van owners have built some type of sleeping arrangement. I have seen hammocks hanging from the roof and also built in bunks with ammenities. Start reading the various forums particularly the Truck forum and you may get some ideas.

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
i've been out here 2 week and had only 2 load but i have been deadheaded almost every other day and i get paid for them but the good side is im a company driver right now breakig in to the bussiness and maybe later i might lease to own but i had enough since to know what i was getting my self into i read the fourm almost every day for about a month before deciding to get in to the bussiness and it has really helped but thing are still slow

god luck god bless and keep rolling:+ :+ :+

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dude... Right now, ONLY 36 hours would be a blessing for me. This time of year, in a van, that's just the way it is. What are you going to do when the wait is days instead of hours?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if you want to stay loaded,stay in the ohio,indiana michigan areas,and dont be afraid to cross the border.
that long load from indiana to virginia looks good.but in long run cost you money.if your going to take a load out of the tri state area,figure on what it will cost to dead head back,before you accept the load,just incase you end up in a non freight area.
AS I've told others,in expedite,there are areas that have many more loads in than out,so you end up sitting to long waiting for the other trucks to get their loads,before you can get yours.
there is no easy fix,get a good book,learn to relax,have a positive attitude
for those that have white line feaver,this is not the business to get into

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hurry up and wait is the expediter's creed. This is a business of waiting. At this time of year a 36 hour wait for a return job is very good. If both jobs paid full rate plus a decent fuel surcharge you did pretty well. Compare the length of those 2 runs with 36 hours in between to runs of 100-200 miles in and around MI/OH with only several hours between. Overall you are probably ahead but aren't looking at the bigger picture, just the 36 hour waiting window. Read back at least one year in the general, newbies and recruiter forums and you'll get a good picture of what expediting is and isn't. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
If this experience is your first time "living on the road" 36 hours can seem a long time. however it really is'nt for this time of year.

Try to concentrate on what revenue you can generate in a longer period of time ,example by the week or in 10 days, rather than by the day or by the load. In expediting it's not what's made by the hour that counts but how far ahead you are from this time back when. Does that make sense to you?

I think you will find that the number of times you must sleep with a load,(depending on your carrier) is mostly a thing that will happen on a weekend.

My first van was not extended, and i devised a fold-up bunk behind the front seats and it worked out ok. I have seen some in that situation just use a mattress that they can stand on edge when they need the room.

What ever you devise to sleep that works for you keep in mind that winter is almost over. To keep warm try a sleeping bag inside of another sleeping bag, works in the coldest weather.

Most of all hang tough and learn by each days different experiences, until you find a system that works for you.

Good luck and remember good things come to people who are willing to work hard.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I was wondering when someone was going to point out that drivers NEED a place to sleep - the front seat is unacceptable, and even if you start out with a thin foam mattress & sleeping bag, you have to take care of yourself as well as your other equipment. Good luck!

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
a lil coffin sleeper is better than none at all. i agree with cheri a place to sleep is important and a drivers seat wouldn't do the trick for me. i guess you could lay a piece of plywood between the seats and sleep there. that's what my grandpa and uncle said they did back in the old days. of course they didn't sleep much back in the old days either. guess i can put 2 and 2 together.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Does this post prove that people are not even reading what's been posted in just the last few days, let alone the last month or more?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Does this post prove that people are not even reading what's been posted in just the last few days, let alone the last month or more?
====================================================
Now there is an understatement!

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all for your replies. I did do alot of reading on EO before I took the job. However I dont really know where the good freight lanes are. I hear alot of people say not to take loads into south Florida cause its nearly impossible to get a load out of there. So pretty much was just wondering what states to take loads into with the hopes of getting a load back home to Michigan. I do realize that is the slow time of the year still. Anyhow thanks again.:)

Dog_House2691

Seasoned Expediter
I have'nt been in Michigan since October of last year,if you think you can take a run to points far away and expect to get back to Mi. off every run you will be disapointed!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looney You say you can't afford to idle and 50% advance just covered the fuel?

So you advanced the load already?

So you have no reserves? No start up money?

Express 1 or any other carrier should never of signed you on.

Just being honest... as Express One should have been.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I have a question: If a Canadian adds his or her 2 cents, is it as good as 2 cents American with the exchange rate? Just asking.:)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You disagree? Thats ok, BUT I have seen soooo many drivers try to make in this business on a shoestring budget and get further in debt and go under.
If the poster is using 50% of his loads for fuel..whats he or she going to do when a flat tire happens? hows about maintanance? Whats the take home to feed and pay the rent? It's a downward spiral.

The posters saving grace maybe the fact busy time is almost here and IF he or she can ride it out and a lot of luck and hard work they MIGHT survive.

I must interject here as I don't know the grit of the poster and I'd love to be more positive and encourage this person in our business.

I'am sorry for being sooo brutally honest and I wish the poster all the luck and a prosperous career in expediting.

About your question about Canadian posts being exchanged, the current rate is about 10% less then a American post. BUT wait since I am now an American taxpayer and living in South Dakota, I might get an increase of post value of about 5%!;)

Added: Awww I see your with Express-1. That explains your exchange post.
Let me state whether express-1 or any other carrier. If they recruit a truck and they have no experience and NO source of capitol or equity it's not always a smart move cuzz most won't make it and the cost of orientation and all is lost for the company.
BTW..Express-1 is on the top of our list to be our next carrier!! I like what I see! Maybe see you around.

Looney2

Seasoned Expediter
Well it seems that if I didnt have bad luck I wouldnt have any at all. I took another load Thursday. Deadheaded about 90 miles north of home to Gaylord MI to pick up a small load that was going to Hebron OH. About 5 Miles from my drop off point I stopped at the TA truckstop to get a coffee and when I came back out my truck refused to start. I was already scheduled to take another load once I dropped the first one off. Had to have the tow truck driver tow me to my drop so I could at least get paid for the load I took down there. Spent half the morning in the ford dealership only to be told that the truck would cold start but as the engine warms it wont start because of some high pressure oil flowthru problem. Opted to deadhead back home since they had the truck started. Going to take a week to fix. Seems like I take one step forward and 2 steps back.lol. Thanks for all the posts. By the way I did have some start up money as I do own my own plumbing company in Au Gres MI, but not alot of money as this is the slow plumbing season up here so I have to be very cheap with what I do have and that means not running my engine when Iam not goin down the road. Thanks for the brutal honesty.