Plant Based Diets

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
plant-based diets | Health Topics | NutritionFacts.org Me and the wife are trying out this type of eating for a month........it aint easy--I would find it rough to do on the road without a sleepercab set up..but the stats are interesting to say the least... I miss my hamburgers and fries!!!!!!!!!!! its not funny...This takes a lot of will power, lots....well only 3 more weeks to go....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cows eat plants, so they're plant based. And fries are plants to begin with. :D

Reactions: Ragman

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
plant-based diets | Health Topics | NutritionFacts.org Me and the wife are trying out this type of eating for a month........it aint easy--I would find it rough to do on the road without a sleepercab set up..but the stats are interesting to say the least... I miss my hamburgers and fries!!!!!!!!!!! its not funny...This takes a lot of will power, lots....well only 3 more weeks to go....

Eat ALL the good meat you want!!! Not truckstop meat though....:gagmewithaspoon:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Only if cows aren't corn feed.... yes corn is a "plant" but??????
But what? Corn is a plant, with or without the quotes.

If you want a discussion on whether or not corn, soy, and other energy-dense grains should fed to cattle just prior to sale and slaughtering to fatten them up and increase carcass size, that's probably best for another thread.

I will say, to keep within the topic of the thread of plant-based diets, that one should keep in mind that America is as fat as it's ever been, primarily thanks to the USDA's Food Pyramid that promoted Americans eating gobs and gobs and even extra gobs of the exact same stuff that makes cows fat.

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Only if cows aren't corn feed.... yes corn is a "plant" but??????
But what? Corn is a plant, with or without the quotes.

If you want a discussion on whether or not corn, soy, and other energy-dense grains should fed to cattle just prior to sale and slaughtering to fatten them up and increase carcass size, that's probably best for another thread.

I will say, to keep within the topic of the thread of plant-based diets, that one should keep in mind that America is as fat as it's ever been, primarily thanks to the USDA's Food Pyramid that promoted Americans eating gobs and gobs and even extra gobs of the exact same stuff that makes cows fat.
EXCUSE ME.....:confused2: :assassin:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
15 days into this life style of plant based eating and my brain is saying --Whataburgers, fries, icecream, sugar , real milk, cake and fudge brownies, and on and on.........................:popcorn: 2 more weeks if I live.........

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
15 days into this life style of plant based eating and my brain is saying --Whataburgers, fries, icecream, sugar , real milk, cake and fudge brownies, and on and on.........................:popcorn: 2 more weeks if I live.........

Wondering about the whole month plan. What happens in 2 weeks? Are you going to continue to eat like this for the rest of your life? Or got back to what you listed above o_O

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

Wondering about the whole month plan. What happens in 2 weeks? Are you going to continue to eat like this for the rest of your life? Or got back to what you listed above o_O

There will be a meeting with the nutritionist about that time for a 2 hour seminar and follow up on questions from the group...show be a great meeting...note- somedays are good on this diet and some not so good as we learn how to prepare meals and gain knowledge.....its not hard, you just leave out steak and hamburger,hams and so on...like ordering a 4 veggie meal at say Cracker Barrell...no dairy milk, water or allmond milk for me, its good.

Dont know yet whether I will do this from now own, waiting to learn more from the meeting...

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Follow up from last week

We all met with the Doctor and the Rn nutrition group...got handouts, netflix nutritional movies recommendations to watch, everyone got weighed, blood pressures taken, body mass indexes, doctor listened to our hearts, and so on...
This coming week will be about food prep and dos and donts.
I am doing ok with my new eating habits, veggies and all, not bad. I have to eat more often and the Almond milk is great, Im not missing the burger and fries routine, no fish , no chicken...have come to the conclusion that grocery stores are not doing us any good, but they sell what most folks want...imho..

Good news is I am coming off my nite time BP pill because in 4 weeks of eating veggies and such, my blood pressure was beginning to be to low..my acid reflux is gone--no more pill for that. So that is good...

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Blood Pressure was 98/71 this morning,,,wow,,has been running around 128/85 usually...hope to cut down or cut out my BP meds, but only after doctors approval,,** I cut out the nite time 5mg on my on** I have quit the nite time BP meds.... Momma always said to eat the vegetable son, should have listened more to Momma, but I'm listening now...rest her soul. I'm still not drinking cows milk and no dairy ...just Almond milk , good stuff. and water.

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle