Places you wont stay

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
Forgot to mention that the places I see you list here that are dangerous or unsafe to park, I'll enter them into the database and probably either mark them with a different push pin skull and crossbones or something..lol

Darmstadter

Veteran Expediter
In addition to all of the ones mentioned above: East Cleveland (there are no good prospects on Prospect Ave),

guido4475

Not a Member
In addition to all of the ones mentioned above: East Cleveland (there are no good prospects on Prospect Ave),

East Cleveland? Are you kidding me? That place is like Disneyland compared to some other places.Prospect ave being known as the street with all the hookers is a thing of the past.I ran local freight there all times of the day and never had a problem whatsoever there.Even the westside has been cleaned up.

I have never had a problem staying anywhere, but the one place I felt most un-comfortable was the south Dallas area where the Flying J, T/A, and the Pilot are.Alot goes on there.Security and the local police cant get that place under control.
West Memphis, Ark has also been cleaned up alot as well as Lamar ave (hwy 78).

For the most part, truckstops arent as bad as they used to be.Anyone remember Bud's in Indy? That place was a dive as well as wild. Never a dull moment.

dieselwrench

Seasoned Expediter
I spent a night at Big Charley's arm pit & truck stop in Norfolk, It was late and I was beat. That place was a real mess. As soon as I left I stopped in the street and used Chlorox wipes on my tires.

bcordell70

Expert Expediter
Well I have most of the Data imported in to MS Street and Trips, the file size is about 2.6MB, I know there are a lot of truck stops missing such as the small truck stops, but I did add a few things such as Freightliner dealers and Cummins, also added some sprinter dealers, and of course everyone's favorite Panera Bread Cafe. I also still have all the raw files that I can zip they are mostly in CSV format so if you dont have MS Street and Trips but can import CSV files then I can send them as well..You can send me a PM with your email address and i'll send which ever you would prefer.

Also I cannot say how accurate this data is I am just trying to help out.. So if you see anything that should be removed then please let me know. I havent removed or skull and crossboned the truck stops mentioned above, I figure I would leave that to user preference.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
For the most part, truckstops arent as bad as they used to be.Anyone remember Bud's in Indy? That place was a dive as well as wild. Never a dull moment.
That is because most truck stops aren't truck stops at all anymore they are travel stops, catering to Rv'ers and families.

I Remember an old truck stop in California name was Pantyhose Junction:D

ShadowMaster

Seasoned Expediter
The TA at Ontario West in Ontario, Cal. Beware when walking through the lot. Alot of Wildlife in the lot.

The TA in Denver (off I-270). Just plain trashy and got that way about a year after it opened and has never changed.

Liberty Fuel Stop (old Pilot) in Phoenix.

Flying J in Dallas: watch out in the parking lot.

The old Pilot in Dallas on the south loop: alot of trashy people in the parking lot.

Laredo, Texas or any of the truck stops in El Paso.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
walmart in marion oh. there is a sanitation lift station nearby. the odor overwhelms.

there is a new lowes at 23 and 95. the old lowes is acrosss the street. staty there.

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
The TA in Wildwood Florida, in fact, anywhere in Wildwood Florida. There were lots of hookers and drug pushers openly working the lots last time I was there. The whole area had that nasty dangerous feel to it. Worse than Gary IN and that's saying something.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Everybody's always got to be hating on West Memphis. Don't be scared! Alot of those guys yall are scared of I used to know back in school then we had to part ways for obvious reasons. I've never been bothered in the West Memphis truck stop area. I have been on the south side of Broadway delivering pizza in high school, but that's another story.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Everybody's always got to be hating on West Memphis. Don't be scared! Alot of those guys yall are scared of I used to know back in school then we had to part ways for obvious reasons. I've never been bothered in the West Memphis truck stop area. I have been on the south side of Broadway delivering pizza in high school, but that's another story.

What i don't care for really is it is surrounded by interstates so noisy and dusty....and the Rvers drive me crazy there at times...and the TS are old cept for the Pilot on the north side...which is where we go when not in Olive Branch...

guido4475

Not a Member
Since coming from a s/t to a van,And now that I park up front, I see alot more funny business going on in the front parking lots than anywhere..It amazes me what I have seen so far.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
We can imagine what kind of funny business you see. Why else would you want on the front row?

Seriously though, after trial and error, you learn what you want in a parking spot. Some folks can sleep through more noise than others. One thing that gets me about everytime is, the cooling fan kicking in just about the time the driver next to me starts to pull out. And you would think they would be more considerate of others trying to sleep.

And another thing, a wrecker had to pull up right next to me the other night in Beaverdam Pilot, Ohio, and starts beating on a pulley that the cable got hung in at 3 A.M. Why he couldn't go to the unused side of the lot beats me.

RORO72707

Seasoned Expediter
no matter where you are,always be mindful of your surroundings. you could carry pepper spray a tazer a knife a big stick or a mini gatlin gun but someone could always take it away and use it against you. i carry my wife with me and that usually works unless we come across a real desperate hooker looking to do anything for 10 bucks.thats a different story. ha ha !!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
WE will NEVER stay in ANY hotel or motel that is featured on Law and Order or Law and Order SVU!!! :rolleyes:

RonJonCMC

Seasoned Expediter
Stayed at the Dallas J (front lot) for 3 days in August and had no problems other than the music they pipe out to the lot 27 -7 course it rained continuosly the whole time. The only time I did feel unsafe in Dallas was at one of the local malls when I went to use the restroom at the one of the department stores, I had to push a button and look into the camera before they would buzz me in. On the way out of the mall I spoke to a cop and asked if this area was particularly considered bad, and got the answer I expected but he said the J where I was staying was the worst area in town. Still I felt much safer than when driving across the Yucatan penisula in Mexico a couple of weeks ago on vacation. Those security check points on the highway with cops toting M-16's will get your attention right quick. :eek:

I

impaler

There's a horrible place a little south of the Indiana toll road on I-69 called Kagann's Corners. That might not be the right spelling, and I don't remember what exit it is. That's one of the worst truck stops I've ever been at. There's a little area in the middle that looks like a group of small rental units. I worked as an armed guard in section 8 housing, and I've seen some hideous things, and I'm not afraid of much, but I sure wouldn't walk through there after dark. I've never been back to that hole after that one time.