Placement of E tracs

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
I'm trying to figure out the best possible postions for e tracs. Thinking of putting 3 on side walls. 1st at floor level 2nd about 2 feet above and the 3rd about 2 feet above that. Does that sound adequate? I would also run a row on the floor...how wide apart should they be? Unfortunately the box is 90 inches wide on the inside and not 96 inches. Thanks again in advance. I will work on the truck over the winter and will have it on the road for the spring. I love this sight!!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Is this a C or D unit? You may have trouble with only a 90 inch wide box, you might want to check with your carrier...

Reason why.. most pallets are 48" wide, and you need to be able to set them 2 wide... so you need about 98"..

Now, if this is a van, or box van.. never mind!

Dreamer

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
It's going to be an E450 with an aerocell 17 foot box. So it's going to be an aerodynamic box van. It won't be big enough to fit a 96 inch on it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would follow the earlier comment. Make sure your carrier will accept your box configurations. You also want to make sure you have a commitment from them to ensure they will be taking the type of vehicle you are describing. For example; some companies only put vans on at certain times of the year. Or, they may stop all together for a period because they have aquired too many of them.
If you have etrack running along the bottom of the walls, you won't need it on the floor.
Davekc

G

If you put one on the floor, plan on some forklift driver tearing it back OUT of the floor. Beside that - what on earth are you gonna haul - single sheets of plywood???

E-track on a floor is useless! Put it RIGHT where you were gonna put it - 10 inches - 24 inches and 48 inches or maybe 5 feet ...... and don't listen to anyone else that tells ya' different!!!!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
*sigh**

New to the board, an apparent failure at expediting, but professing to know everything...

Dang.. I've laughed so hard tonight.. I'm tellin ya, I needed that!

If you bothered to read any posts or had any actual experience with a van, you would know that E-track in the floor is VERY common and VERY helpful for small or odd shaped packages... plus, if you put it in the floor, you counter sink it so it's below the surface of the load baring floor.. as in the following pic from deisel doctors former van...

twodogsdaddy, don't let this guy distract you!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
twodogsdaddy

Dreamer has my vote. Perhaps half van operators place E-track on the floor as pictured above. That configuration is not my personal preference because of the dirt/litter that gathers in the slots and, I think, the eventual liklihood that an errant pallet nail or a protrusion, such as a metal tub leg, could fetch up in the slots and make the movement of a skid up forward in the box difficult.

I've found success with E-track mounted on a self constructed wall, in my vans, at floor level and at 16" or 24" above the floor. I use 2X4's in E-track sockets as seen in the foto above. the floor level bar secures pallets and the upper bar secures the freight. Even works well with 55 gal drums.

Additionally, I never use chains, ropes or straps to pull any weight of skid aft to the rear doors. I use a water base polyurethane coating on a sheet of Baltic Birch plywood for the floor. I then spray silicone lube on thick fuzzy doormats (cut in Half). I place four pieces of these lubed mats under each pallet so they can be muscled around the cargo area. Rene' has pushed 1500# skids around, much to the amazement of towmotor operators. This method requires good securement of all freight, but this is a good thing.