Canada Pival... sounds too good to be true?

Nurvus

Rookie Expediter
Canadian forum seems dead, so hope it's OK to ask here, since it's a newbie question...

I have spent days researching this line of work, and am still seriously considering it. Came across this ad from Pival in Ontario.... anyone know what they're like, and if what they're offering sounds good?

· SIGN ON BONUS
· GUARANTEED MINIMUM MONTHLY INCOME
· Mileage pay for ALL miles (starting from your home, & ALL miles paid)
· Stops paid,
· Border crossings paid,
· Tolls paid,
· Permits paid,
· Fuel price fluctuation program. You get more pay per mile if fuel costs rise,
· Insurance program (our insurance rates are VERY low),
· WSIB is paid for by the company,
· Direct Deposit (weekly),
· IFTA and NY HUT Tax filing done by us as applicable

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Nurvus, call them and post what they tell you.

Our friendly team of experts will analyze their program.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would suggest spending more than a couple of days researching this, more like several months would be a good idea. It would be a good idea to come to the Expo before you make up your mind. There will be lots of good information available and many people there to talk with. It would be worth waiting and spending the time and money to got, before you jump into this business.

Nurvus

Rookie Expediter
OK - I will contact them and report back.

It has been days of intense research spread out over the last month or so, but I have been looking into trucking in general for over a year, and the idea of being an o/o really appeals to me. Expedited cargo seems like a relatively low risk/inexpensive way to try that out...

Nurvus

Rookie Expediter
So here's the scoop....

$0.91 (CDN) per loaded mile - starts when you leave home or current waiting spot
$0.37 (CDN) per empty mile - after 1.5 days you can head home or another location
Rates will be adjusted with cost of fuel

Drivers currently averaging $1200-$1600 per week
Guaranteed minimum $3765 per month

Drivers often home every 2-3 days.... extremely rare to be out for a week at a time.

Only deductions are $63 per week for insurance
and $40 per week for first 15 weeks to create security deposit which will be fully returned when you quit.

Fuel card available if you want it

Uniform provided :)

Have to run APP on smartphone

I eagerly await the friendly team of experts' analysis! :)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If they really pay the "guaranteed minimum $3765" a month, there are some US drivers who would like that, lol.
I'm wondering if the option to go home after 1.5 days [36 hrs?] explains how their drivers get home 2-3 times per week.....
The "guaranteed" part makes me very suspicious - I'd be interested in what exactly is put in a contract, as opposed to advertising.

Nurvus

Rookie Expediter
It's a bit weird.

If they send you out with loads and you always come home empty, but you manage to pull in $3765 for the month, you make less money (due to fuel costs).

If there were no loads at all or just a few short loads and they topped you up to the $3765, then you make more because you hardly used any fuel. :confused:

I've asked for more clarification on how the guarantee works, and also on the average ratio of loaded vs non-loaded miles.

Nurvus

Rookie Expediter
Ooops - thought I posted this info already....

Average loaded/unloaded miles is 85% and 15%
20 days in service per month qualifies you for the $3765 min gross guarantee