Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Who cares

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
An energetic person could clean up in Michigan if they paid the 100 minimum run 2 or 3 a day and be home every night!!

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
You would think so but no. I tried 3 different times doing just minis and if I was lucky to get one I'd still sit. and when I was on minis only I was also offered everything but. Go figure. turned down a 400 + miler to Pa. told them minis only they said Oh ok but I had to take the next one an 800 miler to Ga.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I can't disagree at all about paying $100 a pop for minis, as many of them can take a sizable chunk out of your day. One from Detroit to Windsor can take up 6 hours or more. I had one the other day that I went over and picked up in Windsor, was delayed 7 hours waiting for the thoroughly incompetent broker to clear the load, then delivered up in Port Huron. Nearly 10 hours shot for $50 and a First Out. Golly. I did get some detention, but detention pay at Panther is an insult.

I also agree, absolutely, that a First Out should be for that board only, you can't take it with you. If the boards were properly defined, you wouldn't need to, anyway.

TwoMotherTrkrs

Seasoned Expediter
Okay, Fellas, if you pay Sprinters and CVs $100 for minis, what do you propose a D unit get? And what if there is no 'hotspot' where you land with the load and you have to move? What do you do with your 'First Out' then?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, a D unit would probably get something in the neighborhood of, what is it, $150, $200? Something like that. As for the no-hotspot and first out, if they pay $100 for a mini, you get no First Out. That's what the extra money is for. (Currently, it's $50 plus a First Out for a cargo van). If a D unit got paid the extra, they get no First Out, either.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
With the boards properly defined in a manner that makes sense, and with the First Out BS out of the way, then the FIFO of the board will essentially be the same as dwell time, as people won't have to change boards very often at all. If they choose to change boards, they take their chances, but there should be no ambiguity as to where the board boundaries are (I cannot stress that enough). If they take a load that delivers in BFE they take their chances, and they should have negotiated a price that makes it worth taking a load to BFE and having to deadhead back to be at the bottom of a board.

Standard, common sense rules about expediting would still apply, like, board position notwithstanding, you could be jumped for a time-critical pickup for someone who is closer to the freight, or a Sprinter could jump an E-350 for tall freight, or an E-350 could jump a Sprinter because of heavy freight. And, all vans could be jumped because they gotta keep those straight truck teams rollin' and happy.

I agree on defining the boards and eliminating foolish ones like 20 boards in Louisiana and such.

Don't agree on the first outs and moving with current board system. Many boards don't have parking and a driver shouldn't lose his first out for a mini because he is going to a truck stop.
If they stop doing ones for 1500 mile runs, then I don't think you will see that as much of a problem.
As far as dwell time, that should be applied, but only to that specific board. If you move to another board, you lose it.

jwc

Seasoned Expediter
don't understand the complaning
where else can you make between $1500 to $3000 a week driving someone elses truck
be avable when you want to be pick and choise you loads
is panther perfic no no no
but every change i see coming into efect seems to be for nose pickers and lazy drivers
changes that need to come in are
better directions
giving us avablty to know where outher trucks are at
and alowing drivers to see a fleet owners stats as to/ payment of emploies/truck mantiance/and how many drivers they are going through

Jonlar

Seasoned Expediter
First off I don't I drive for P2 , but what if they tell you to stay in a bfe express center. Then like a good driver you do and get nothing for it when they finally tell you its a good time to move to a better board should you not get something for doing what you were told like a first out, or letting you dwell time follow you ? Keeping mind it was and was not the drivers decision to sit there but perhaps disp is at fault here to ?

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
The longest dwell time would be the fairest way to go. scenario; You delivered a 300 mile load out to BFE, after delivery you sat 2 days waiting on another load which never came so you decide to go to another board, lets say Memphis and D/H 250 miles to get there. another driver delivers a 1100 mile load in Memphis but arrived lets say 8 hours before you did. another load comes up coming out of Memphis going 700 miles and it is offered to the driver that just got done with the 1100 miler because he got on that board before you did. By tomorrow he has 1800 miles in for 2 days running and you have 300 miles in for 4 days. Guess you should have asked for a first out. ( see other post. )

Dwell time would be the fairest way, but if it isn't benificial to panther it isn't going to happen.

I agree you sit in basically the same area and do a small load so you don't starve and then have to wait a long time again. Its not good.