Pigs and buffets

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
At the Hook buffet, same night, not one but TWO pigs eating off the buffet with their hands. What is it with people?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
At the Hook buffet, same night, not one but TWO pigs eating off the buffet with their hands. What is it with people?

There are just so many people out there today that have no manners or brains. Is it any wonder this country is SO messed up?

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Probably the same type of people that spend 15 mins in a bathroom stall, then walk right out without washing their hands and then go belly up to the buffet. Getting the closest table possible to the buffet so they don't have to walk too far to get their slop. Then they wonder why they weigh 500 lbs, have diabetes, heart problems, and breathe heavily when they walk more than 2 steps. Its not because they have a thyroid problem, its because they like to stuff themselves with 10,000 calories a day of that "good home cookin" as they call it. .

This is one reason I will never eat a buffet. Even though I am a bigger guy I can count on one hand the number of times I have eaten at a buffet. There is just no need to eat that much food in one sitting. Heck these days I have a hard time finishing a 6 ounce chicken breast and some veggies for dinner.

Layout you are absolutely right. A lot of people don't have manners or don't see that they are doing anything wrong these days.

YarnDoll

Seasoned Expediter
That's so gross. I have to admit I eat at the buffet sometimes because it's quick. From now on I'll live off my fat reserves.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Layout you are absolutely right. A lot of people don't have manners or don't see that they are doing anything wrong these days.

One time, I think at another Hook, I watched a guy come in, go up to the salad bar, dip a finger into some salad dressing and up to his mouth to taste it. I was appalled. I told the waitress but I don't remember if anything was done about it. It was a while ago.

I don't care if a guy wants to weigh 1000 (I'm a fat guy, myself), as long as he keeps his fingers out of my food.

Reminds me of the story another driver told me of seeing another driver go into the men's room with a corn dog, lay the corn dog on the top of the urinal while going, then pick it back up and put it back in his mouth when he was done.

And of course, there's the Seinfeld episode on which "Poppy" the restaurateur comes out of the bathroom stall zipping his pants, tells Jerry he's personally going to prepare his meal, then walks right out and back to the kitchen without stopping at the sink.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
At the Petro in Bodentown there is a regular customer that my wife has named "Pig Girl". She is about 5' tall, 90 pounds, young and blond. She eats about 8 heaping plates of food, rarely gets a clean plate, licks her fingers and then grabs the serving utensils. We thought she was taking food home, but after watching her she is eating it, usually with her hands. The bus boy told us she is bulimic and makes a mess in the bathroom.
It seems that if the employees know about her that they would at least tell her to get a clean plate and stop the hand licking.
It's a shame because they do have a good buffet. We just can't eat it if she is there.

guido4475

Not a Member
I once watched a driver eat 9 plates of food at the T/A in Lodi, Ohio...Pretty sad.My limit is 2 plates, but I usually stop at 1 1/2 plates.I try to avoid truckstop buffets, and will go to a Ryans or a Golden Corrall, A better class of pig, I guess.But I am noticing the large amounts of food given with just a regular dinner at a truckstop.Order a fish dinner from the T/A.Salad bar, alot of fish they give you, choice of potato. All of that is more than I can handle to eat, and usually take the leftover fish with me in a to go box.I mean, it is nice to get your moneys worth, but everybody is so concerened with overweight drivers, (I'm over 300#),so why give more food than is needed? I wouldnt encourage overeating by putting a huge amount of food in front of an already overweight driver.Out of sight, out of mind, right?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I would have to say something to the manager about removing dressing that someone stuck their finger in and perhaps say something to the pig as well. I like Golden Corral although I know they get their share of pigs too. I have one plate of "real" food, pot roast and vegetables, and one small plate of fruit and cottage cheese as dessert. They make money off me to offset what they lose on some of the overeaters. Oh, and there's a difference between overeaters and pigs at the buffet or anywhere else.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
At the Petro in Bodentown there is a regular customer that my wife has named "Pig Girl". She is about 5' tall, 90 pounds, young and blond. She eats about 8 heaping plates of food, rarely gets a clean plate, licks her fingers and then grabs the serving utensils. We thought she was taking food home, but after watching her she is eating it, usually with her hands. The bus boy told us she is bulimic and makes a mess in the bathroom.
It seems that if the employees know about her that they would at least tell her to get a clean plate and stop the hand licking.
It's a shame because they do have a good buffet. We just can't eat it if she is there.

This isn't a cleanliness story, but another interesting buffet story. I once saw an interesting guy eating at a Hook buffet. He ate three big, heaping plates of salad. He chewed very fast, like a rabbit. His friends were all on the main course section of the buffet by now, but he was still attacking that salad. After he had finished those huge plates of salad, then he went for the main course. Thing was, this guy was skinny as a rail.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

I stopped at the Petro in Rochelle, IL and found sweet corn on the buffet. Now, usually, restaurants of all types absolutely ruin sweet corn by letting it soak in water. These guys did it right. They boiled it but then took it out and let it sit on the buffet that way. It didn't dry out at all.

I made quite a spectacle of myself that night. I ate at least 10 ears.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter

Haven't eaten off a buffet or any restaraunt in over two years now. lol Want ta know what broke me? Well guess what, I'm a gonna tell ya! We had a waitress that was very sick wait on us and I caught her desease. Was sick for about 6 weeks from it. I kept telling my hubby, honey u need to not eat the buffet as I don't think it is very sanitary. Weel one night he wants me to sit with him while he eats (I eat in the truck) and I says to him (as he comes back from the buffet with a heaping plate of food) I got an idea, lets sit here and observe the people as they use the buffet. So we watch. Weel, a waitress comes up (sniffle sniffle obvious cold runny nose) to the buffet (flying J) and uses her bare hand to wipe her nose then proceeds to grab the handles of the different dishes and stir them, yuck germs! Then there is a guy standing at the end of the buffet talking with another guy, is kind of propped againt the end leaning on his hand that is braced on the metal where the plates are. As he talks (not kidding is true) he reached down the back of his pants and is obviously scratching his bottom then proceeds to place same hand right back on the metal next to the plates. I laughed and laughed. Hubby did not find it quite as amusing. lol

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
As much as I like buffets I just gotta say THANKS Yesteryear,,way more info then I needed.. (wish this site had a lil vomit smilly) :D

I eat at em but I will sit an watch while drinking a coffee or ice tea maybe for a min or two and look for the fresh stuff to come out.. If I see what Yesteryear see's I just dont do it..I know it dont mean it aint there but at least I dont see it..

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
As much as I like buffets I just gotta say THANKS Yesteryear,,way more info then I needed.. (wish this site had a lil vomit smilly) :D

I eat at em but I will sit an watch while drinking a coffee or ice tea maybe for a min or two and look for the fresh stuff to come out.. If I see what Yesteryear see's I just dont do it..I know it dont mean it aint there but at least I dont see it..

LOL Swear it is true sloride! :D Hubby got a little green around the gills! Still laugh at him and he hasn't eaten buffet since. :p

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
LOL Swear it is true sloride! :D Hubby got a little green around the gills! Still laugh at him and he hasn't eaten buffet since. :p

I know I seen stuff but I keep going back..Had the Shoneys Bufay
this morning...I just gotta scope out the truck stops if I gotta eat there..

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I stopped at the Petro in Rochelle, IL and found sweet corn on the buffet. Now, usually, restaurants of all types absolutely ruin sweet corn by letting it soak in water. These guys did it right. They boiled it but then took it out and let it sit on the buffet that way. It didn't dry out at all.

I made quite a spectacle of myself that night. I ate at least 10 ears.
Sounds like you would be right at home at the Zellwood Corn Festival May 28-30, 2010, (Google it) in Zellwood, FL. All the corn you can eat and good music too.

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
you guys sure are finicky...you'll eat a peck a dirt before ya die...

I;ve eaten in some gawd awful places, like the killfloor for beef and pork covered in blood...the list would go on...

Imagine our armed forces people over in that desert in appalling conditions....

We've all seen worse then some dude poking his fingers into the mashed potatoes and we have all lived this long....

Like mom licking her finger and cleaning that smudge off your face before you enter church...*L*

Like some of the "truck stops" up in Canada? LOL!!:p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No..they have imported AMERICAN truck stops up there...*LOL*

things took a turn for the worse when the J went up there...and then the TA and now even a Pilot!!

Now the Husky in Milton is a real charmer...or even on Dixie Rd just north of the 401...another winner...*LOL*

We went to a "Husky" outside of Toronto not all that long ago. What a joke!! The waiter/cook/janitor/sewage worker brought out some very dry, burned and just plain awful looking omelets and then was greatly surprised when we asked about getting some coffee!! His exact words were: "You want coffee too?" With a shocked look on his face. Yup, I would not even send a Dumb-O-Crat into that place!! LOL!! I am just NOT that mean!! :eek:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey now we are making fun of Pipers favourite places*lol*

oh wait..there is a restaurant called Pipers Place in Mississauga :rolleyes:

If you eat in there do you have to, sorry about this, I HAVE to say this, I have no choice, it's not my fault, do you have to "PAY THE PIPER" when you are finished? MAN!! Now that is funny!!

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Piper's favorite restaurant is in Kitchener, has only one cook/waitress, she's been the same one for 22 years and for some reason she seems to like me. Plenty of parking for 1 pickup and 1 Sprinter. Free shower too!

Husky's in Ontario are awful. Piper avoids them at all cost. Anything in Mississauga or the GTA in general is a dump, it mirrors the locals.