Pet Owners/Laredo

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
mating season??? is this one of them things ........ about its Hotter then a rattle snake in heat??
i mean it is July and in way south Tx no less........ just sayin..

Why..yes...snakes are reptiles...and breed this time of year...if you spot one, be on the lookout for the mate...won't be far away

eah24fan

Seasoned Expediter
It wasn't a waste of time Fuzzyman. Thank you for t he heads up. Being a driver with 3 furry friends out here I like to hear of these kinds of things. Don't let the ignorance of a few run you off.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Now when them fire ants invade your van one night you'll think a snake bite was mild...:eek:

How many get out and look around for them before they park? How many spray the tires with repellent when they park?

Now that is something I, and I bet most others never gave a second thought about. Will have to keep that one in mind.

LOL! Germ phobias inside the truckstop and creepy crawlies outside (not including the lot lizards), how do we ever survive???

Fuzzyman: Thanks for the heads up. Despite snide comments from others, being complacent about our surroundings usually ends up biting us in the butt at some point and a quick reminder is always welcome.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now that is something I, and I bet most others never gave a second thought about. Will have to keep that one in mind.

LOL! Germ phobias inside the truckstop and creepy crawlies outside (not including the lot lizards), how do we ever survive???

Fuzzyman: Thanks for the heads up. Despite snide comments from others, being complacent about our surroundings usually ends up biting us in the butt at some point and a quick reminder is always welcome.

I've been invaded twice by the common red ant...in Jackson Ga and I can't remember the other...took weeks to rid the van of them....

they got in using once up the tires and into the firewall..

and again using the extension cord as a super highway into the van...I now loop any extra cord over side view mirror..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Back when I was doing church directories for Olan Mills, I once had a flat tire, left rear tire, while on the way to Hot Springs, AR. It was on that road that leads there from the Interstate. I was on my way to the church, dressed in a suit and tie, jacket was on a hanger. I was driving a Soccer Mommy Van that had the tire jack on the right front side under the hood by the engine. I pulled over, right to the edge of the shoulder. Changed the tire no problems. As I was reinstalling the jack in its proper place, I had no idea that my left foot was off the shoulder and smack dab in the middle of a fire ant mound.

The ants were not pleased.

This happened in a matter of seconds as I only had moved my left foot around the side of the van to install and tighten the wing nut securing the jack. I felt a stinging and looked down, and my left pant leg below the thigh was totally covered in ants. A good number of them were up inside my pant leg and were biting like crazy in a highly coordinated attack, both on bare skin and through the socks. A separate regiment was headed for my right leg and had already covered my right shoe.

Even in the throws of passion I've never removed my shoes, socks and pants so fast as I did that day.

There I was standing on the side of the road, barefoot and pantless, wearing my tighty-whities and a button-down Oxford shirt and a tie. The locals knew exactly what was going on, many laughed as they drove by, a couple of cars stopped and between the hysterical laughing they helped me out and dealt with the ants. One was a State Cop and his family on the way to the church to have his picture taken. He said that it's very common for someone on the side of the road down there to lose their pants once in a while, especially for cops who are standing off the shoulder writing a ticket, as those ants like to make home near the new roads because of the loose dirt around them. Said he's had to take his off several times while dealing with someone on the side of the road.

But I got through the day and nursed a bazillion donut-shaped pustules on my legs. Fortunately none left any scars.

For those who have never been attacked by fire ants, I highly recommend it. It's one of life's truly awe-inspiring and astonishingly humbling experiences. :D

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back when I was doing church directories for Olan Mills, I once had a flat tire, left rear tire, while on the way to Hot Springs, AR. It was on that road that leads there from the Interstate. I was on my way to the church, dressed in a suit and tie, jacket was on a hanger. I was driving a Soccer Mommy Van that had the tire jack on the right front side under the hood by the engine. I pulled over, right to the edge of the shoulder. Changed the tire no problems. As I was reinstalling the jack in its proper place, I had no idea that my left foot was off the shoulder and smack dab in the middle of a fire ant mound.

The ants were not pleased.

This happened in a matter of seconds as I only had moved my left foot around the side of the van to install and tighten the wing nut securing the jack. I felt a stinging and looked down, and my left pant leg below the thigh was totally covered in ants. A good number of them were up inside my pant leg and were biting like crazy in a highly coordinated attack, both on bare skin and through the socks. A separate regiment was headed for my right leg and had already covered my right shoe.

Even in the throws of passion I've never removed my shoes, socks and pants so fast as I did that day.

There I was standing on the side of the road, barefoot and pantless, wearing my tighty-whities and a button-down Oxford shirt and a tie. The locals knew exactly what was going on, many laughed as they drove by, a couple of cars stopped and between the hysterical laughing they helped me out and dealt with the ants. One was a State Cop and his family on the way to the church to have his picture taken. He said that it's very common for someone on the side of the road down there to lose their pants once in a while, especially for cops who are standing off the shoulder writing a ticket, as those ants like to make home near the new roads because of the loose dirt around them. Said he's had to take his off several times while dealing with someone on the side of the road.

But I got through the day and nursed a bazillion donut-shaped pustules on my legs. Fortunately none left any scars.

For those who have never been attacked by fire ants, I highly recommend it. It's one of life's truly awe-inspiring and astonishingly humbling experiences. :D

Oh Shelled one, why don't you put your pants back on and come out and visit.....to your extreme right.....as always. lol

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sorry, Eddie. Didn't know you were there and didn't see this in time. Don't hesitate to knock or give me a call.

I had to scoot to go pick up a load, anyway, tho.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, Eddie. Didn't know you were there and didn't see this in time. Don't hesitate to knock or give me a call.

I had to scoot to go pick up a load, anyway, tho.

Yeah, I had to scoot too.....Hate sitting 4th out there.

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I apologize also for making light of a very worthwhile alert for anyone, not just us who ply the highways & back roads. We are amazed at the people who get out to look at national Monuments in the heat of summer with rattler warnings everywhere, who then proceed to tromp thru the bush. Thanks again for the warning.

Guinness is not an evil thing, it just is if you drink too much of it.
I agree that volcanos are though so stay away from them

Last edited:

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
I would think the truck stop would want to warn folks about the snakes.. The rest areas in Texas and AZ have signs up warning you about Rattlesnakes.. and I really watch my step when I am going into the rest rooms. So if I had a pet, I would also want to know about this.. and yes ...even dogs have to P in 110 degree weather.. Thanks for posting this.

mikee

Seasoned Expediter
I have lived all over the US and of course there are wildlife Hazards everywhere.
We lived on Long Island in 99, I observed a Falcon Regularly around my home I was both Horrified and in Awe one day as it swooped down and snatched up a kitten about 30 feet from me!