Pet Owners/Laredo

fuzzyman

Seasoned Expediter
Pet Owners need to watch out for rattlesnakes while in Laredo. We are at the TA & was told that a dog got bit & died from a rattlesnake out in front of the TA on Thursday. I said something to one of the cashiers about putting up a sign to warn people & he just said there's probably a lot of things we SHOULD do around here. So I guess he wasn't concerned that not only could our pets get bit, but also one of us! I have sat here today & watched several people that are just traveling go walk their pets out where they said the snake was. I would go out & tell them about it so they would be on the look out. They said they killed the snake, but also said that it was mating season, so I am just going to be really careful when I take my dog out. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are rattlesnakes in Texas, south Texas especially. Tarantulas, too. They're all over down there, and it's all but impossible for any business sitting in the middle of the scrub brush to control them.

For the TA to put up a sign saying "Beware of Rattlesnakes" (especially on the hearsay from someone who heard from someone that a dog got bit) is not much different than a sign that says "We've got Rattlesnakes here. Be Afraid of This Place. Be Very Afraid. Go away!"

Couple of years ago a dog got bit by a copperhead at the J in Fairview, TN. Look out, y'all.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Funny thing..I had a dream about a rattlesnake in my garden last night...and Ken killed one the last time he was home..

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
WE could go on and on. Florida look out for the gators, Montana look out for bears and wolves, Ohio look out for the Buckeyes.

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
NOTHING like a couple feet of snow in IOWA or SOUTH DAKOTA to keep away those darn rattlers . LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now when them fire ants invade your van one night you'll think a snake bite was mild...:eek:

How many get out and look around for them before they park? How many spray the tires with repellent when they park?

Brisco

Expert Expediter
WE could go on and on. Florida look out for the gators, Montana look out for bears and wolves, Ohio look out for the Buckeyes.

Alaska is another place to be careful in. Always keep your smaller animals on a leash and always have the leash in your hand. Not due to them possibly ending up as a meal for a Bear (If I saw a bear heading towards my Fido, Sorry Fido, we had a good 10 years together, I'm gonna miss ya.... :p ) but are preyed upon by Eagles and Owls.

There are numerous reports of people who are visiting and/or camping around Alaska that have had their "Little" family pets snatched up by an Owl or an Eagle even when their pets were just 10-20-30 feet from them. When you keep them on their leash, you at least have a fighting chance at saving them. Also, I subscibe to the annual "Milepost" that's put out once a year and they always have a little article that covers this in each yearly issue.

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner - Home

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Guess I shouldn't have wasted my time posting.

That's prolly correct there Fuzzy. Jes what else ya spose is in the Desert in the Summer. Wanna guess with me?? Just what else don't you know about??? To have a mutt with you, and have to walk it in 105 degree heat....in the desert...well, stupid IS, what stupid DOES.

fuzzyman

Seasoned Expediter
Yeah You're the KNOW IT ALMIGHTY, aren't ya? I was trying to give people a heads up so they would just be sure to pay attention. If you can't say anything nice then why don't you just keep quiet?? I know what's out here, been out here for over 20 yrs but I don't try to insult people that I know everything cause people can learn something new everyday. My dog is probably better company than most people & he's always friendly to everyone, no matter Who they are! I'm not in the desert, I'm in Tx, on the range, that's why they are called Texas Rangers! Is this how you make people feel welcome on this board?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ah Fuzzy, don't take it personal. A lot of us appreciate the thoughts for our furry friends.

I guess I am one who cares enough not to bring my dogs on the road with me, because I would be too concern about them than myself or the work and I think that is where he is going with his comments.

Oh and it wasn't a waste of time. It seems people who are clueless need something like this to make them think.

I know a few who seem to think that the desert is void of green, there is also a void of insects - like scorpians. One couple who I told my story about my three nights in the desert didn't get the part why I tapes my pant legs inside my boots until they ended up in the hospital with a serious issue of stings from something crawling into their sleeping bag. They just didn't beleive me that things do actually exist in the desert.

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
im with ovm, you did a good thing. i think the crappy attitudes of some could be corrected by the presence of a furry friend. i would think you would get tired of being so negative all the time.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Pet Owners need to watch out for rattlesnakes while in Laredo. We are at the TA & was told that a dog got bit & died from a rattlesnake out in front of the TA on Thursday. I said something to one of the cashiers about putting up a sign to warn people & he just said there's probably a lot of things we SHOULD do around here. So I guess he wasn't concerned that not only could our pets get bit, but also one of us! I have sat here today & watched several people that are just traveling go walk their pets out where they said the snake was. I would go out & tell them about it so they would be on the look out. They said they killed the snake, but also said that it was mating season, so I am just going to be really careful when I take my dog out. Just wanted to let everyone know.

mating season??? is this one of them things ........ about its Hotter then a rattle snake in heat??
i mean it is July and in way south Tx no less........ just sayin..