Personal Use?

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Overheard another vanner saying the carrier doesn't allow personal use of the vehicle when not in service.... I'm no genius here but i'll be danged if somebody would tell me NO when i'm sitting at home using the ol' sprinter to go camping!!! Person was a O/Op and running with a well known !

is there any truth in this? Seriously do they have the right to do that?:confused:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
is there any truth in this? Seriously do they have the right to do that?:confused:
Maybe, maybe not. It depends. When you lease on with a carrier, you are literally transferring the right to possession and/or use of goods or equipment (your truck) for a term in return for consideration. So they can certainly have some say in the matter, especially if you have their name and logo on the side of your truck. You don't want to do anything with the truck that would put them in a negative light, damage their reputation. But a blanket "no personal use while OOS" is an unlikely policy, since that smacks of an employer/employee relationship.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
That's exercising employer control.
They would not win this issue in a court of law.
Actually, it would never make it to a court because there's too much precedent on this issue and their attorneys would say........
"Are you nuts?!?! Do you want to start having to pay payroll taxes and provide benefits to all these O/Os?!?!?! Drop the case or lose your ar$e!!!"

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Overheard another vanner saying the carrier doesn't allow personal use of the vehicle when not in service.... I'm no genius here but i'll be danged if somebody would tell me NO when i'm sitting at home using the ol' sprinter to go camping!!! Person was a O/Op and running with a well known !

keyword there is OVERHEARD........I am betting it was a company owned van....One of my Can. jobs was supervising a fleet of over 90 vans for post Office contracts.....EMPLOYEES were allowed to take van home BUT no personal use....

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My third cousin's, nephew's, brother in law's, uncle's, friend's, employer's, accountant said..... and you should give it absolute credence about as long as it takes to read it.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Point made lol it was a young couple older GM van with the new and improved big cat on the side ;)

Sent from my flying circus

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Point made lol it was a young couple older GM van with the new and improved big cat on the side ;)
Yeah, no, Panther doesn't have a "no personal use" policy at all. You can use your own vehicle for personal use any way you see fit. Just don't park in out in front on Nude Nudie Nudes or use it as a getaway vehicle after robbing a bank.

in-Transit

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not really sure why that struck a nerve for me lol but it really had me ticked just thinking about it !

Sent from my flying circus

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Maybe they drove for a fleet owner with some weird rule.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC 123

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It could also be they are new and didn't fully understand the instructions from orientation about using CMVs for personal use when OOS, where ya gotta cover up the doors, Not For Hire, and all that.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When we were with FedEx Custom Critical, personal use restrictions applied. When we moved to Landstar, it was more common sense. Landstar was actually willing to acknowledge that truck owners occasionally use their trucks to move their own stuff around or to do favors for friends, neighbors and such. It was yet another difference between two carriers that was greatly appreciated.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Bob, I'd love to help you move out of your third floor apartment. Sorry, Fed won't let me use my truck.

Thank You, FedEx.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, no, Panther doesn't have a "no personal use" policy at all. You can use your own vehicle for personal use any way you see fit. Just don't park in out in front on Nude Nudie Nudes or use it as a getaway vehicle after robbing a bank.

Then drug dealing in front of the Kroger in Monroe would be alright?

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
do you meen the new friend I just met in upper maine who owns a machine shop wants me to move some machine parts to L A for 1 cent less than Panther I'd be breaking my lease agreement lol

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Perhaps take a minute and read your lease agreement.

I suggest covering the signs belonging to your carrier if you are using your vehicle for personal use. That should eliminate any insurance and liability issues in the event of an accident.

Thanks,

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
do you meen the new friend I just met in upper maine who owns a machine shop wants me to move some machine parts to L A for 1 cent less than Panther I'd be breaking my lease agreement lol
Not only would you be breaking your lease agreement, but you wouldn't have any cargo or liability insurance while hauling those machine parts.